“Good place for Westerners” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nanning Hotel

Nanning Hotel
Ranked #8 of 699 Hotels in Nanning
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Good place for Westerners”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

This is a great place for westerners to stay in Nanning. Fantastic restaurant in the hotel with all kinds of American food. Rooms are clean and spacious. Staff is friendly and helpful. This is a must if you are in Nanning.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Large clean rooms. Many restaurants and shopping close by (a big shopping mall accross the street). It is in the city center about 30 minute taxi ride from the airport. Hotel is about 60 years old (open in 1952 I think) but you would never know it. Many upgrades/remodels over the years. Staff is friendly and helpful. My ONLY complaint is the bed was rock had. I think I was sleeping on a box spring and not a mattress. I would give it a 4-1/2 grade if I could with the 1/2 point reduction for the bed.

Room Tip: I stayed in building B.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Salem, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Stayed there a week. Nice big room, bathroom, and TV; good air conditioning for the 95 degree heat and humidity of southern CHINA. Next door was the Fortune Tower where breakfast (American style), lunch and dinner could be had. Stay away from the chewy, rubbery pancakes and the so-called orange juice. Hard to find was cold, fresh water except in the room frig, along with some other things to drink but everything was carefully counted and charged for if used. For me the bed was too hard - like sleeping on a board with a mattress over it - no give at all. The neatest thing I remember is the room key - a card, like a credit card and when entering the room you placed it in a specific holder which completed the electrical circuit for your lights,TV, a/c and anything else electric. When departing you removed the card and the TV and air conditioning would shut down. The down side is that returning to the room it was hot and had to be cooled down again which could take ten or fifteen minutes. The Chinese are excellent hosts but few spoke English so if you had questions it was sometimes hard to get an answer but they would do whatever they could to find someone who could help you. There was a bar on the first floor, rather upscale, one bottle of Coca-Cola was five US dollars. Parking spaces were limited but most Chinese do not seem to have cars - motorcycles and bikes ruled. Most cars were taxis. There are sentries at the front gate, probably to keep out undesirables from bothering the paying guests. Watch out either walking down the street or taking a cab - China has the highest mortality rate for drivers. You will find cars in every lane at one time or another, whether or not it is the correct lane for them. Taxis do not have meters - they will bargain with you on the cost of a trip. If you are obviously a newbie from America, you will probably pay more. For a Chinese resident to get to the airport it is 50 or 60 yuan; for an American to get from the airport to the hotel it can be 100 -200 yuan. The NANNING hotel needs a small bus for this airport and hotel trip. It is a good idea to get your yuan (Chinese money) at the departing American airport - such as San Francisco. I do not know if the taxis or merchants will even accept the US dollar or if it is legal to try to spend US dollars in a communist country. Don't push your luck - you do not want to call the embassy to get you out of jail. Enjoy your trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Hastings, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed at Nanning Hotel 18 to 20 June 2013. Perfect centre city location, big hotel, clean, rooms very big for a China hotel. Would highly recommend to anyone as the price is very good for the quality of Hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dubai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

I just used this hotel for one night and I was very surprised why there are many reviews hotel for this hotel. There is no doubt that the location is good and it is centrally located in Nanning but there is nothing more. I came to this hotel, since Marriott hotel informed me that the hotel would be full and I can not extend my stay there. The hotel has to different building. Due to reviews I had chosen the new building. The front desk people could not speak English well. However they gave me a room and showed me the direction I went there and could not find the room. I called the reception and explained the problem to the one who could speak English. they told me that they will send somebody to help. I waited too much but nobody came. I came back to the reception and found that I should have left the main building and going to the other one. This took me around 45 minutes. When I arrived at the room, the receptionist called me and told they were sorry for what happened and for the apology they would send me some flower and fruit. I was working with the internet and it took 1 hour but nobody came. I called the reception to forget what they wanted to send and let me sleep. The apologized and told I can rest. after 20 minutes I went to the bed one maid knocked at my door and brought me some mango and a bunch of flower. They had told me that day there was no breakfast at the hotel.
I believe this hotel is not a western style hotel and obviously not comfortable as Marriott. I would possible not choose this hotel again. Just location and nothing more.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Jakarta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

Last 24Dec, I stayed with my whole families, check in for 8 rooms for 2 nights. The bad experience happened when we check out, the front desk said one of the rooms missing one glass and we have to pay for 30 Renminbi. We've explained that it might be on other rooms cause during the nights we had family gathering. After arguing for 10 minutes, my sister in laws insisted to go upstairs to check by herself and it were true. One of the room have 3 glass instead of two like we were explained. Avoid this hotel if you don't want to get angry or late for your plane.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Steelton, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

Great Hotel, Good Food and very clean and friendly staff. Centrally located and close to many attractions. I was amazed this hotel was so beautiful and well taken care of for it's age.
I highly recommend this Hotel and a visit to Nanning China