“Definitely worth staying in this hotel!”

Mingyuan Xindu Hotel
Ranked #243 of 700 Hotels in Nanning
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
“Definitely worth staying in this hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

This MingYuan XInDu hotel is actually quite big because there are several blocks from No.1 to No.5 and and two of the blocks serves as hotel, while the other blocks used as multipurpose hall (no.5) or restaurant or spa centre. I stayed at the No.1, I love the room and especially the toilet is very neat. I love the shower with their masonry paved floor. I went there during the week of moon-cake festival.. it is packed with people lining to buy mooncake from the hotel; pretty lively actually. Back in 2010, I stayed in the other block of the hotel, the room was not as pretty as the no.1 block. but everything else is fine :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My daughters and I stayed here at the Mingyuan Xindu (a.k.a. in English, the Majestic) during a homeland trip to China. This was our fifth hotel during a two week trip.

I have to admit that this hotel carried a lot of memories. We had stayed here during my daughter's adoption trip, back in 2000, and I was looking forward to re-experiencing the hotel with the perspective of 13 years.

I wish I could say that I loved the experience. While it was overall positive, the hotel is showing its age. The televisions have been updated to flatscreens, but most everything else seemed to be the same, and showing the wear of the years. The decor, the carpets, the maddening bedside console all seemed to be the same as when we were there years ago. I thing perhaps it is overdue for a refurbishing.

The lobby is as opulent as ever, and the food at the restaurants was pretty good. On our original trip, we couldn't help but notice that the buffet included dog soup. I didn't not try the buffet this time around, but I can report that this particular delicacy did not appear on the room service menu. Different country, different culture.

As an adoptive parent, I did enjoy running into several other families who were there on their initial adoption trip. For whatever reason, we encountered more adoptive familes here than we did at any of the hotels in Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, or Wuhan.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Beijing, Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

This definitely doesn't feel like an international five-star hotel - everything from the decor to the food feels very much like an average Chinese business hotel - but overall it was fine. Probably one of the better options in Nanning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Toluca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

The beds were a little hard, the rooms were a little old, but overall clean. Smelled of smoke but never saw anyone smoking inside.

Totally average in every way, nothing to complain about nor anything to praise.

The food was nothing special, nor was it gross.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel and also 7 years ago on a previous trip. It has been updated since that time and I consider it a very nice hotel. The service was excellent, as was the food in the restaurant. The breakfast was a Chinese style and they offered a very limited western style breakfast, so we tried a little of both and enjoyed them. Our room was clean and comfortable, however the mattress was of the Chinese type and very hard. We requested a softer bed or mattress pad, but they were unavailable. The hotel is convenient to a downtown mall area, a large park behind th hotel, and a grocery store just across the street. The wi fi worked fine in our room. Since the weather was cold we did not stay outside very much or get to use the pool area. I believe this hotel now is catering more to the domestic traveler than the international traveler, however our stay was very pleasant and the staff was friendly and accommodating..

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Harare, Zimbabwe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

My friend, seven-year-old daughter and I stayed in this hotel on a recent adoption trip against my better judgment. The hotel/travel agent knew that we were in Nanning to adopt a 3.5 year old boy and yet they gave my daughter and me a room with two small beds. When I asked for an extra bed or a room with a king size bed, I was told that I would have to pay more and move to a smoking floor (they have only one non-smoking floor in the entire hotel), neither of which I was prepared to do. Eventually, and after much negotiating on the part of my Chinese friend, they moved us to a room with a king size bed on the same non-smoking floor. Then they inexplicably brought in a crib. I had specifically confirmed beforehand that the hotel had free wireless internet in the rooms; however, when we arrived the internet connection was very spotty and then went out completely for several days, with no explanation, apology nor compensation from hotel management. For the most part, the hotel staff did not speak English well or at all. Taxis were generally difficult to find. Our room overlooked the swimming pool across the street that we couldn't swim in because we didn't bring bathing caps and the hotel did not sell them. Most unfortunately, my newly adopted son had a seizure outside the hotel and passed away shortly thereafter. The hotel doctor was not equipped to deal with emergencies and neither examined him nor wanted to sit near him in the taxi while we rushed him to the nearest hospital, which turned out to also not be equipped to handle such cases. The inadequate medical treatment probably contributed to his passing. All in all, an absolutely horrible experience.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Nanning hotels

Otterlo, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Nice 4 star hotel, with free wi-fi at lobby. Rooms are neat, clean, well-kept and bed is pretty comfy; I have no complains. Toilet comes with a bathtub.

Can just cross the street to get to a big supermarket if you are hungry for snacks at night.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business