“Chinese food cooked Italian style - Good though!” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Here
Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Nanning, China
“Chinese food cooked Italian style - Good though!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

Situated in the nouveaux rich area of Lang Dong, behind the new Walmart in the Admiral City Mall, this three story box cabin style restaurant offers mainly Italian style cuisine, however it lacks the little extras that makes Italian cuisine complete! For example - no Italian wine - just Chilean and no parmesan cheese! We had pasta dishes, pizzas and garlic bread. The bread served with the soup was excellent. and from the display on the counter we later saw, was 'home-made' The pasta dishes were very tasty if a little dry. The pizzas were good too, but oh how they would have been better if sprinkled with a parmesan cheese topping! The small selection of Chilean wine was a new experience for me with Italian food. The 'specials' blackboard was just the copy of some of the items on the menu so not really what I associate with 'specials'. Portions were good if ordering for individuals but if it was to share, like Chinese are accustomed to, then a little small. On the night we went, no English speaking staff were available - Thank goodness for my 'survival' phrases and gesticulating with my hands.hehe. Atmosphere and ambience was good, so whilst a pleasant place to eat, not one I would frequent regularly. Outside seating is available if you smoke. 360rmb for our bill for two persons..

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank 530031

Nanning, China
“Dishonest people EXCELLENT food!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Man, it's hard describing this place because of what happened to me...

Let's start with the good side:
- The atmosphere is super nice! There are outside tables, the music is good, the decoration nice to look at.
- The waiters are nice, they speak english and they are quick !
- The food is just AMAZING ! ! ! Yeah, believe me it's THAT good ! Let me tell you about my story, I've been in China for other 9 months now and I have Never Ever had such a GOOD Pizza ! ! ! They had REAL cheese ! (mozzarella) This is really uncommon in China as the great majority of the Chinese are lactose intolorant. Even before I came to Nanning when I was in Suzhou (Jiangsu province, bigger more developed city than Nanning) they did not have such good PIZZAS ! ! ! I'm dead serious when I say it's the best pizza I had since I got to China! Better than Pizza Hut, or the "Just for you" pizzas! These pizzas had real thin crust, with tasty tomato sauce, good real cheese (not that fake chinese cheese that has no lactose in it!) and real prosciutto!
Man it's just GREAT food !

However, (here come the letdowns)
- It's far from the Nanning center, it is located in the eastern part of Nanning. Count 15 RMB to get there from the Nanning city center. That makes the dinner price directly go up to 30 RMB in transportation. Ok, ok, it's true you can take the bus to get there if you have more time and it will only cost a total of 4 RMB.

-The people are dishonnest ! My receit numbers didn't add up correctly! When I added up the numbers on the receit I realised that they wanted me to pay the receit total + 40 RMB. These 40 RMB came out of nowhere so I refused to pay them. AND that's not all (there did worse) they added two items on the receit that I did not eat for a value of 38 RMB. (They called the items Italian bread or something like that...) In conclusion they tried to nick me 78 RMB ! ! ! ! ! I couldn't believe it ! ! A ward of caution before you pay, look at your reciet CLOSELY ! !

- They have internet access, and the Pizzas price range goes from 45 to 65 RMB. Pastas and lassagnas are around 50 RMB. They also serve strong and soft alcohol as well as non alcoholic beverages !

If this "receit" problem hadn't occured I was going to give them my best comment ever!
But after all this GREAT food this problem just left me with a bitter and angry !

You have been warned, it's up to you to decide if good food is worth the risk.

• Visited June 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude
Tunis, Tunisia
“For the best lasagna in town - go to The Here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

This friendly Italian restaurant served amazing fresh pasta, as well as great pizzas. They also do other dishes but I seem to keep coming back to the same! The restaurant is often very busy with affluent locals, as well as the expats looking for a taste of home food. The staff speak English too, which can be helpful if your Chinese is as bad as mine.

• Visited March 2011