“OK, but a bit institutional”

Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Balikpapan
Sussex
“OK, but a bit institutional”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed at the Aston in Balikpapan for a night in transit. Reasonable on-line deal, and nothing wrong with the hotel if you like a somewhat institutional environment. Staff are pleasant and helpful, rooms are OK, but are full of threatening messages that fines will be imposed if you infringe all sorts of regulations. This always puts me off - as does the infamous breakfast voucher. (Breakfast itself is OK if you overlook the horrid jams).

Location-wise, it's not ideal - just a bit too far from the city centre, although the seafront location (if you have a sea-facing room - I did not) is fine. There is a mosque inclose proximity which may or may not be beneficial.

Overall, probably not for me, with hindsight.

Room Tip: You really need to go for a sea-facing room if you are staying here
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Aston B, General Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Dhanbadman,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I am saddened to hear that we did not deliver the level of product that you would expect when visiting Aston Balikpapan Hotels & Residence. This is certainly will continuesly improved hence your input to my official email gm@astonbalikpapan.com would be very beneficial for our quality improvement. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Warmest Regards,

Tomy Yovan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Aston Balikpapan as like other Aston holds up it's reputation on becoming an international chain hotel. Located slightly away and on higher ground from the main road makes the traffic noise is distorted and the pollution is more likely less.

It is a rather compact hotel with Aston touch..., the room was nice, the restaurant was fairly small and would not manage even half of the guest from the rooms, however, divided in few batch of seating, the restaurant will accommodate just fine. The food for breakfast are acceptable, complete with salad bar, bread section, indonesian breakfast, and standard western breakfast like sausage and omelette, and it goes on and on, or at least i did find that the kitchen filled up the food time and time again.

I had a pleasant stay with Aston..., wouldn't say best or 5 star hotel, but it goes fine between the rate and what you are getting.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Travelling703,

Thank you very much for taking the time sharing your experience in our property, it's a special privilege to receive your review in TripAdvisor.

We are so glad to share your kind words with them, especially to improve our product and services as we love reading reviews like yours. We look forward to welcome you back again in a near future.

With kind regards,

Tomy Yovan
Balikpapan, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

First of all, i would to thank to the sales manager widya santi who really made our stay become more enjoyable. She is very kind and helpful. Hope you guys who stay in this hotel will get same experience like i did.
I would recommend Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence to everyone who prefers a nice and beautiful stay in Balikpapan. The price is reliable with benefits.The swimming pool is wonderful.
I am definitely looking forward to come back to Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence.
The location of the hotel is perfect. It's closed to a lot of street food, entertainment and shopping area E-walk and Balcony.
The room was amazing, is's spacious, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The TV channels they provided were than enough.
The breakfast is probably the best breakfast I've ever had for a 4 stars hotels. In term of variety, quality and service.
The check in and check out process were fantastic, no hassle.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Mr. Agus T,

Thank you for choosing Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residences as your place to stay in Balikpapan.
I am very delighted to read your positive review about Ms. Widya Santi and your overall experience at our hotel.
Our staff has taken your positive review as their motivation to deliver heartfelt moments of delightful services to all our guests.
We hope to welcome you again at our hotel in the future.

Warm regards,

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Aston never underestimate me, this is my first trip to Balikpapan so before I departure from my city I've been looking for recommended hotel for stay and my choice quite good :D

The room is nice, pool is awesome! you should try to swim before breakfast or a few mins before sunset maybe? hmmm

4 stars rate for this hotel, can't write any longer :D

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Aston B, General Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Chandra T,

I am very happy to read your positive feedback on our hotel.
Our teams were also happy to know that they have delivered good products and services to you during the stay. Your kind email is now their motivation to strive even better to achieve guest satisfaction.
I do hope to welcome you again at our hotel in the future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stay here everytime I visit Balikpapan. This is the nicest place and people by far. The hotel is perfectly set up, nice, clean and great service also. They have great sea view and the most I like are what they served at breakfast. Many choices and complete presented. The hotel location so convenient to everywhere. Overall, the hotel has everything I need and can boost my day before working. Will definitely stay here again when I head back to Balikpapan.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Moluvoa,
Thank you for staying at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residences.
I am very pleased that you had many great stays at our hotel and have enjoyed our breakfast selections.
Kindly allow me to inform you that we also have a sumptuous barbeque buffet, that is reasonably priced every Friday evening by the poolside – the view there is almost next to none in Balikpapan. Perhaps you may want to try it on one of these weekends.
Our team will be delighted to welcome you back at our hotel in the future.

malang
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I've been stay in Aston balikpapan hotel and residence about 2-3 times in less than 1 year only for leisure. I stay here each week on business. I can honestly say i had a few bad experiences here but on my last stay yesterday. I was really happy when i get upgraded to executive room. These rooms are so perfect with private kitchen, balcony and sea view.
Overall, this hotel is probably one of the best hotel i've stayed with its value and stars .
Beautiful view of the dermaga and sea from our room.
Upon arrival, we were gtreeted warmly by the door man who then directed us to our rooms.After a cozy nights sleep we went own for breakfast where we were shown to a table and attentively waited on by warm waitress serving coffe tea. Then on the breakfast selection -what a choice!! All of the food, from fruit to croissants and pastries to cereal and toast and to a cooked breakfast was execellently presented and tasted delicious! Overall, i would highly recommend this hotel for a comfortable weekend break - what more could you need!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear gilang01,

I thank you for staying at our hotel and also sending us your mostly positive feedback.
Your good feedback has been shared with our teams to motivate them to work even better in the future.
I look forward to welcome you again in the future at our hotel.
Should there be any concerns with our services, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Malang, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed my recent visit to balikpapan by staying at Aston Balikpapan. Loved the location as I did not have to travel too far for shopping. This is one of the best 4star hotel with really great service and location at Balikpapan. I really impressed with this sea view of this hotel as I was stayed on the 11th floor.
I had a single dinner and breakfast in the hotel restaurant which name is the East coffee shop and found the food to be reasonably priced and quite tasty.
Overall, this is the exellent hotel to stay in term of cleanliness, service and spa.
Other than that, I really recommend this hotel to those travelling to Balikpapan.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dear Apriliaizm,

Thank you for choosing Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence for your stay.
I am pleased to read your positive review on our hotel, as our teams endeavor to provide delightful moments of heartfelt service to all our guests.
Our team looks forward to welcome you again at our hotel.