“Friendly staff, excellent breakfast” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence

Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Balikpapan
Haarlem, Holland
“Friendly staff, excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights. Staff is nice and adequate. Rooms need some maintenance, pool is used for party's, so we did not swim. But location is very good, we used an angkot to go to the mall etc. Breakfast has everything we wanted, even a real cappuccino.

Stayed July 2014
Aston B, Manajer Umum at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Marja58,

Thank you for choosing Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence for your memorable experience. We are looking forward to welcome you back here and please let us know by sending email to info@astonbalikpapan.com for your future visit. It is our pleasures to ensure all our customers are having a pleasant experiences during their visit in here.

Tomy Yovan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Decided to stay in this hotel because tripadvisor rated this hotel no 1 in Balikpapan. The check in was fast. The room is huge, apartment-like, with 2 bedrooms. This is a typical hotel in many Indonesian cities whereby they try to build luxury hotels but fail to maintain well. The property is supposed to be nice with a beach front but maintenance is poor. You could feel the ambience that some additional effort is required to make the rooms cleaner.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aston B, Manajer Umum at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Davida_Davida,

This most candid commentary from you is very much appreciated. While we do enjoy a good reputation that is synonymous with service, it resides on a reputation that is built on guest experience. Your experience the past days was not what we strive to deliver and for this I want to express my deepest apology and regret that corrective action is still underway.

We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to make the necessary changes in the service we provide. I would like to further learn details about your experience during your stay and invite you to contact us at: info@astonbalikpapan.com

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I ordered the airport pick up service and was picked up by a friendly staff member at the airport. However I had to wait 30minutes before the vehicle arrived which was very annoying for such an overpriced service. In the hotel itself the staff was very slow and not very friendly. The room was spacey but very dirty in some cornerns (but this is very common for this part of Asia). The worst thing was when we ordered a drink at the pool in the evening. It took 30 minutes for one of the drinks after reminding the waiter 4 times, when it arrived the ice cubes were melted and the drink itself tasted very bad. Further 15 minutes later the other drink arrived, again ice was melted and it tasted horrible. The price of the hotel and drinks is an outrage compared to what you get for it. But at least they try...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marina C
Aston B, Manajer Umum at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Marina C,

Thank you for your valuable feedback of your recent stay at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence.

We were really disappointed to note your concerns for areas where we did not meet your expectations especially the product and service at Pool, please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to make the necessary changes in the service we provide.

We do hope that we still have the opportunity to serve you again here at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence at the near future.

Tomy Yovan

Travellers are raving about these Balikpapan hotels

Balikpapan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel.. But not excellent.. The location is very nice and excellent po! I really love the pool and the lobby area.. My room was on 12 floor so I had an amazing view. But my bedcover was smelly and an extra bathroom near the small kitchen was dirty.. The food was nice but not varied enough.. Service was good.. But my AC remote is broken and I called the receptionist to replace it and the said yes but they didn't replace it until I checked out. The AC in my room didnt work properly as well. But Overall this hotel is nice but I think it need a change in the wallpaper and the curtains cause it didnt work properly..

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Aston B, Manajer Umum at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear ShafiraYPutri,

Hello from Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence...

First of all we would like to appreciate you for choosing us as your second home to stay. Please also accept our sincere apology for some points that not met your expectation and we also very sorry and immediately we sort it out. Please do not hesitate to contact me at info@astonbalikpapan.com for your next visit and we will look forward to welcome you back here soon, thank you for your feedback and share your experience in Trip Advisor.

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Unfortunately I have no positive comments for this hotel. I simply fail to understand how this hotel could be rated #1 in Tripadvisor for Balikpapan. Are standards in Balikpapan really that low?

Service is really not up to par, and quality of the hotel extremely poor. I stayed at the serviced apartment, executive room #1911. It was extremely disappointing for the following reasons:

Facility is falling apart, and housekeeping is either lazy, or really not properly trained.

- On my first day of stay, the lightbulb of the dining room lamp was dead and had to be replaced. Two days later, it was the lightbulb of the living room lamp that was dead.

- Two bathrooms, but no toilet roll was provided on the second (smaller) bathroom.

- Mosquitoes & small insects, incl. ants in the room

- My colleague who was staying in another room asked for a laundry bag. A dirty laundry bag )(that must have been used previously) was provided, she was absolutely disgusted and chose to hand over the laundry in her own plastic bags

- Another colleague staying in a different room found her room door ajar upon return from work. She was really concerned that someone had gone through her belongings, but the suspected culprit is housekeeping that did not properly close the door (fortunately she lost nothing).

- Breakfast is mediocre at best, and so is room service

- Minibar was provided, but housekeeping never bothered to replace any items consumed

- Water dispenser at the room is supposed to have both hot & cold water. Never could get the hot water to dispense, it was always cold. I had to request a kettle instead

- Service is extremely slow: had to wait 30 mins for the requested kettle

- Smoking is rampant everywhere throughout the facility, even in the main lobby. Clientele of the hotels are unfortunately of a "different class" - Indonesians who think the world is theirs and are not considerate of others.

- And the worse of all, during our stay, the service elevator was inactive, and staff were consistently using the guest elevator to transport food, laundry, etc. I had discreetly asked one of the staff why the service elevator was down. The reason could not have been any more stupid: management was in the process of upgrading the elevator with a swipe card system. The swipe card system is not in place (for the service lift), and the elevator was not used for this reason. Absolutely ridiculous and this led to long waits for the lift.

I WOULD NOT go back to this hotel. In fact, we are cutting our stay short and moving to the Grand Jatra next week. Good riddance, Aston Balikpapan

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Aston B, Manajer Umum at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Mr. irasshaimase,

Thank you for your valuable feedback of your recent stay at Aston Balikpapan.

I was really disappointed to note your concerns for the areas where we did not meet your expectations especially the service & maintenance issue. I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused.

This most candid commentary from you is very much appreciated. The exceptional is possible to happen and I assure you this will thoroughly be researched as to how this could ever take place for one of our guests.

While we do enjoy a good reputation that is synonymous with service, it resides on a reputation that is built on guest experience. Your experience the past days was not what we strive to deliver and for this I want to express my deepest apology and regret that corrective action did not adequately take place to your satisfaction

We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to make the necessary changes in the service we provide. I would like to further learn details about your experience during your stay and invite you to contact us at: gm@astonbalikpapan.com

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

This hotel is a good option to stay in Balikpapan. It is centrally located near to the Plaza shopping centre, It is right on the waterfront and is a tall building so it has great views of the town and water up high. The only problem was I could not get out on the balcony to see the views. The door was sealed up. The food in the restaurant for breakfast was very good, the staff were all polite and friendly. It has a wonderful infinity pool that looks out to the sea as well. It is also the only hotel I know of that provides two bedroom accomodation that isnt the penthouse or super expensive room. A good option if you have a family. It is a little more expensive than some others in the area but worth the extra $$ for the location and comfort.

Room Tip: Up high and in the front for spectacular views of the city and sea!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Aston B, General Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Nick Lamport,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. I hope you enjoyed your stay here and delighted to hear that your prefer our hotel to stay at when in Balikpapan.

I would also like to personally thank you for your feedback in regards to being a family orientated hotel. Here at Aston Balikpapan we pride ourselves on providing superior service to all our guests and understand that our families are a large part of our hotel and we are glad to here you made good use of our leisure and family facilities. I hope you understand our security procedures for Balcony is to assure our guest's safety.

NickLamport we look forward to your return next time you are in Balikpapan.

Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed at the Aston in Balikpapan for a night in transit. Reasonable on-line deal, and nothing wrong with the hotel if you like a somewhat institutional environment. Staff are pleasant and helpful, rooms are OK, but are full of threatening messages that fines will be imposed if you infringe all sorts of regulations. This always puts me off - as does the infamous breakfast voucher. (Breakfast itself is OK if you overlook the horrid jams).

Location-wise, it's not ideal - just a bit too far from the city centre, although the seafront location (if you have a sea-facing room - I did not) is fine. There is a mosque inclose proximity which may or may not be beneficial.

Overall, probably not for me, with hindsight.

Room Tip: You really need to go for a sea-facing room if you are staying here
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Aston B, General Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Dhanbadman,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I am saddened to hear that we did not deliver the level of product that you would expect when visiting Aston Balikpapan Hotels & Residence. This is certainly will continuesly improved hence your input to my official email gm@astonbalikpapan.com would be very beneficial for our quality improvement. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Warmest Regards,