“Some Great Dishes & Some Just Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Aras

Cafe Aras
Ranked #1 of 23 Restaurants in Rantepao
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Café Aras is een nieuw restaurant in de hoofdstraat van Rantepao. De eigenaar, Aras (arasparura@yahoo.com) is tevens een soort hoofd van de gidsen in de stad en handelt in antiek. Het restaurant is mooi ingericht met veel antieke versieringen aan de muren.Op de kaart staan zowel Indonesische (inclusief Toraja) gerechten als Westerse gerechten (steaks, pasta, pizza). Wij hebben er twee maal heerlijk gegeten, zijn ook Australiërs tegen gekomen die dolenthousiast waren over de steaks, maar ook het Indonesische eten was erg lekker.Ik had ook de indruk dat er veel gasten waren die na één bezoek vrijwel elke dag dat ze in Rantepao zijn daar eten.Is zeer zeker een vermelding waard. Iets duurder restaurant, maar zeker het beste waar ik in Rantepao gegeten heb.
Wisconsin
“Some Great Dishes & Some Just Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

My first meal at Cafe Aras was voted the best dish on the table by the guy who tried them all. I ordered the pamarasan fish (in black sauce). It was a huge portion, and the sauce was so good. My friends liked their pork steak, the pamarasan pork, and other dishes. But on my second visit, a friend and I ordered the pork cooked in bamboo and the chicken cooked in bamboo (must order 5 or more hours ahead of time), and we weren't that happy. My pork was incredibly dry, and my friend didn't enjoy the coconut in the bamboo chicken dish. The juices they make are lovely, but be sure to ask for them cold. The ambiance is nice so long as the tour guides looking for business leave you alone. It's a tourist hangout, so there is bound to be some of that. The prices are okay... some of the dishes are almost double what you'd pay at a non-touristy restaurant. But I'd suggest it for anyone interested in trying some of the local dishes that won't be easy to find at other eateries.

Visited April 2014

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Nice place, go with enough time...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Went there 3 times during our 4 days stay. Pork on bamboo was really good (order in the morning) but chicken cooked the same way was terrible... the days we didn't book previously everything took forever to come and some dishes never came at all... nice decoration and friendly staff.

Denpasar, Indonesia
“Good stick to local food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Very nice decor, good service and friendly staff. the food is great but forget western food. We had pizza one night, sweet breaded base and ketchup instead of tomato sauce... was not the "best pizza" as described by Lonely planet :)

Visited March 2014
Asia
“Bule Hangout”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

On the last night of my business trip I finally brought myself to have a shot at Cafe Aras. It looked quite nice from the road and I wanted to see it up close.
We arrived late in the evening and only a few people frequented the place. Actually, all the guests where foreigners and this is why this place is so attractive: the food offered caters to the white man's palate and travellers can easily find other foreigners to exchange trip advice. The menu ranges from pizza, pasta to the Indonesian classics mie and nasi goreng. I went for mie goreng and it was pretty blunt and boring. My Indonesian colleagues gave me the all-knowing smirk saying "I told ya".
I was curious about the coffee served since Toraja is known for some of the best Indo brews but again, it was nothing special at all.
I decided on my future trips to Rantepao I will just stick to the cheaper local eateries and enjoy the nicer food there.

• Visited February 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
“What a nice place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I was actually surprised to see this kind of cafe in Toraja. The location is so easy to find, it was located near the Market which you also can buy some souvenirs (Pasar Sore).

Visited December 2013