“Nicest people in Asia run this restaurant, generous and good food too!”

San Thi Dar Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 167 Restaurants in Bagan
Cuisines: Burmese
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We ate here for dinner on our second night in Bagan, as Myinkaba is the village on the way back to New Bagan from Old Bagan. The place was emplty when we arrived and doesn't look special, but the older couple cooking and running it are AMAZINGLY nice and generous. The food itself is simple, Burmese-family veg fare, but be warned, the portions are ENORMOUS and so three dishes was too much for 2pax to share. And then the patron brought out a 4th dish (stir-fried vegetables) for us to have ON THE HOUSE.and then FRUIT on the house for dessert..and were happy to chat a bit afterward as well (and he has the best map of Bagan blown-up on the wall as well). Very sweet. And ridiculously cheap, all this for less than $10 for 2 pax. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Park your bike here between temple hopping and settle in for some great eggplant curry. Tea leaf salad is a Burmese speciality not to be missed and they make a nice version. Owner is friendly and very positive.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Small restaurant. Owner and his wife were very friendly. Mainly vegetarian food. Very cheap.
We ordered: Bean curry & rice. Fried tofu & rice. In total, we paid $2.40 for two people. Large servings too.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

To be honest, I was surprised to find other TripAdvisor reviews here. I felt like I discovered this place myself! :-) But the reviews are well deserved, and I'm happy to see that like me other guests were so impressed by the warmth of the owners here that they also felt compelled to review the restaurant. Don't miss it. A great place for a break while you are scooting around Bagan on your e-bike.

1  Thank apsara711
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is the best meal I had in Bagan and at a very reasonable price too.
I dropped by San Thi Dar at lunchtime to take a break from temple hopping.
Rice with pineapple and cashew nuts was delicious and the avocado juice was so good I ordered another one.
During my Burma trip I was super cautious about hygiene and this place had one of the cleanest kitchens I have seen.
The family who runs it are friendly and super sweet - they kept apologising when a big group of Poles came in and they needed my table to accommodate them all.
I wish I had stayed another day in Bagan just to try some more dishes there.
Please visit and support this family-run restaurant - you won't regret it.

1  Thank Reenhoe