“Tired hotel, clueless staff, awful food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaday Aung Hotel

Kaday Aung Hotel
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Bagan
Hamburg, Germany
“Tired hotel, clueless staff, awful food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed for 3 nights. Our booking through Agoda was honored without any problems, but as we were checking in we overheard two other couples who had trouble with their Agoda reservation. In one case they were downgraded to a standard room , in the other case the guests had to pay their pre-paid room again.........
The rooms were old, without any charme and not very clean. The entire hotel needs a refresh as it looks very tired. The staff seems to enjoy hanging out in front of the lobby, but they are not very helpful and the mangement does not seem to care.
They have their own bycycle rental business, but the bikes are in terrible conditions (flat ties, no breaks..... ). For the same price you can get much better bikes outside the hotel.
The restaurant is just awful. The worst food I have had in a long time and the prices for dinner are very high by Bagan standards. Avoid it for breakfast (even if it is free) or dinner....

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Paris
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

Not easy for us to rate this hotel.

The hotel is charming and we liked the location, New Bagan is the best place to stay in Bagan (only tourists in Old Bagan).
We had a standard room, they are simple and tired, maybe a little dark, but we liked the furniture.

I read that some people found that the swimming pool was green and dirty, it was not the case when we came, the swimming pool was clean and blue, and it was a real pleasure after a day of bicycle under the sun.

Breakfast is average.

The problem we had is that the hotel management is greedy and rude. We booked a superior room on Agoda, a prepaid service for 60 USD. When we arrived, the staff told us there is only one standard room available, no apology, looked like we were lucky to have a room (remember : the room was already paid for months).

We asked to be refund of the difference, normal isn't it ? To finally get something, we had to complain again and again, we saw the manager not less than 5 times in 2 days, and got finally partly refund.

As tourism is booming in Myanmar, many hotels change their price according to the demand, a very bad practice in my opinion. But in our case, it was a daylight robbery.

That's the reason of our rating, for 30 USD standard rooms are good value, but we payed 52 USD and spent too much time to fight with the hotel management.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lboutet

Travellers are raving about these Bagan hotels

Chesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

I booked this Hotel via the Internet 6-7 weeks in advance after having read a few scare stories about accomodation being booked up solid in Myanmar. ( I quite often turn up & take a chance, particularly in S. E. Asia ).
I arrived in Nyaung U on the bus from Yangon, turning up earlier than I expected i.e. 04:45 a m & was pleasantly surprised to find that the bus company's ticket included a free transfer to my Hotel. Arriving at Kaday Aung so early I quite expected to have to wait a few hours for my room but I was quickly & efficiently installed & was able to take a much welcome hot shower. Breakfast commences at 06:00 a. m. so I was out exploring the sites before 7 a m
I only paid just over £26 a night for my room & that included breakfast which is a buffet so you can stoke up as much as you want.
The grounds of the hotel are beautifully planted, the pool looks inviting & I really liked the outdoor dining area. My room was obviously one of the cheaper ones with twin matress on the floor but nonetheless it was large & in a great position on a balcony. The water was always hot, the electricity never failed & the staff were absolutely charming. Bicycles can be hired for 1700 Kyat per day-not Mountain Bikes & no gears but perfectly adequate.
I am amazed that some reviewers seem to have had a negative experience here _maybe they paid a lot more than I did. There is a warning on your room door concerning keeping it shut to keep the Mozzies out but I should think one would naturally do that anywhere in Asia.
The walls to my room were only bamboo panels so you could be unlucky if you have noisy neighbours & my only real gripe was that I had some laundry done there & it cost a fortune!
Finally, I would say the Hotel is in a great situation on the edge of New Bagan, very peaceful & handy for cycling off towards Old Bagan but only 10 mins walk from the main drag.

Room Tip: have a good look on-line before you book. I think many people pay an awful lot more for a room that...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank keith h
Chiang Mai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

We arrived in Bagan at 4:30am with no reservation and only a few names in mind. We knew Kaday Aung had a pool and it became our first choice. So we jumped in a pickup truck with a bunch of locals and got a great rate compared to the taxi's.

The hotel:
We were greeted by friendly staff at 4:30 in the morning and told they had a Family room and a $45/night room, we opted for the $45 and thought we would stay there a night, then bike around the area, move somewhere else and bike around that area. Until we experienced the great service at Kaday Aung and it's pool... we stayed 2 more nights.

The pros:
* Amazing staff that is helpful and friendly.
* Comfortable (soft) beds
* Clean rooms
* Fantastic pool to relax in after a day of biking.
* Convenience store right out front for cheap beer.
* Turn left when you leave and head down to plenty of restaurants.
* The fastest internet I experienced in all of Burma, we planned out a lot of our trip here.
* A bike ride away from almost all of the main attractions.

The Cons:
* Some bathrooms better than others
* The bikes for rent are crap, head left when leaving and rent other bikes.

Honestly, Bagan was the best experience of Burma for me, even compared to Ngapali! This hotel had a lot to do with the experience!

Room Tip: Check the bathrooms! The $45/room had a great bathroom with tub, the $30 had a dilapidated, rotted n...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark B
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

No bednets in the room but a huge sign on the door warning about mosquitoes and to keep door closed!
The room was big but no baby cots. The 2 children slept on the floor on a mattress. The room was dirty, dusty and an old T-shirt left in laundry basket.
Torn curtains are not nice and they were too small to cover the window, so good job the room was very dark anyway
Breakfast terrible, dishwater for coffee, rubber pancakes, stale eggs, no milk only powder and a liquid that was called juice even our 3 year old refused to drink.We ate elsewhere thereafter.
staff kind friendly but no motivation at all to hit peak performance, probably because no obvious manager around. English was worst I have seen here in Myanmar but most number of tourists I have ever seen too.
The place has real potential to be gem of a little boutique style hotel but it is sadly not that. I would not recommend and would not use again myself, at $70 a night this is not VFM.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank peterawilson
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

South East Asian and Burmese in particular are warm and welcoming people. They have a wonderful attitude that makes us want to return their over and over.

But not at Kaday Aung Hotel. I had a reservation for 5 nights in a superior deluxe room, and I even asked them to send me a photo of the room, to make sure that I wouldn't be cheated upon arrival. After 4 visits in Myanmar since 2005, I have learned that most of hotels are not respecting their confirmation and that they wouldn't hesitate to change the price or the type of rooms if other clients would stay longer or would arrive in groups.

This wrong practice is giving Myanmar a bad reputation and as the country is opening, they will have to learn how to respect their commitment when sending confirmation.

During this one month visit in Myanmar, we were lucky to have our rates and room types respected, and everywhere we have been around Myanmar, we could see a difference in the service quality, the breakfast variety and the electricity that is more and more available 24 hours a day, even in remote parts.

But despite the fact that Bagan is highly touristic, this place suffers from a lack of organization, and maybe because it is so touristy, staff at Kaday Aung are extremely rude, to a point where I thought we were in Russia...

As we woke up early for early visit of the temples, we found out that the breakfast was no longer served at 9h00am, and they refused to serve us a simple coffee or tea?... Our towels were not changed daily, the floor was dirty and when we asked for a wake up call, the front desk declined our request, as it wasn't part of their service...

This Kaday Aung is neglected and the staff isn't professional, so this hotel is on decline at every levels. As Susanna suggested, the Thiri Marlar hotel is a much better choice, as we have stayed there 2 years ago, but it was full this time. At Thiri Marlar hotel, staff are doing everything to feel you welcome and it makes a big difference, even if the hotel isn't impeccable.

And the Thiri Marlar hotel is also cheaper, for a much better value than the Kaday Aung hotel, where rudeness and negligence seem to be the norm.

Adrian

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Irene G
Bagan, Myanmar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

We found this hotel to be good value for money compared to some of the hotels we stayed in in Myanmar. Although our room was dark, it was spacious and clean. We had no problems with electricity during our stay.

The swimming pool was a highlight and definitely a requirement after the extreme heat of the temples. The breakfast was also good as it was a buffet so you could make sure your body was suitably nourished for your temple-viewing excursions.

No wifi but Internet is available on somewhat archaic computers for $1 an hour. We booked through a tour company and paid $35 for a double room. There are many restaurants in New Bagan and surrounds so we did not need to eat at the hotel restaurant - although apparently we missed out on a free puppet show!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple