Kaday Aung Hotel
  • Breakfast included
US$148
US$122
Priceline
All reviewspuppet shownew bagane bikecharming hotelthe main roadpool waternice poollarge roomthree nightstemple hoppingquiet locationbreakfast was includedelectric bikeslocal restaurantswifibamboosisters
Reviewed 7 January 2013

When planning my Myanmar visit (just got back after two weeks of a wonderful trip!), I had heard warnings of overbooked hotels and flights, so had used the services of a local tour operator. When he gave me a listing of my hotels, I checked these out on tripadvisor wand was dismayed at some of the reviews of Kaday Aung on this site. It was too late to ask for a change though, so I just braced myself.

What a pleasant surprise! I found the place totally charming and the service always gracious and smiling. (I can't believe the reports of rudeness.) They were prompt with wake-up calls, reconfirmed my flight, and my room was always spotless and made-up after a day out. The grounds had an almost Bali-like feel to them, and after a long day of touring the temples, a fabulous but often hot and dusty experience, it was great to unwind in the gardens for an hour or so. I just had my breakfasts there so can't really comment about the food, as I always prefer to try out restuarants in any town I stay in. In fact, the only reason I don't give this hotel 5 stars is its distance from the town proper, making it a little inconvenient to explore local eateries and shops.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank arthil_11
Reviewed 22 December 2012

We stayed for 3 nights. Our booking through Agoda was honored without any problems, but as we were checking in we overheard two other couples who had trouble with their Agoda reservation. In one case they were downgraded to a standard room , in the other case the guests had to pay their pre-paid room again.........
The rooms were old, without any charme and not very clean. The entire hotel needs a refresh as it looks very tired. The staff seems to enjoy hanging out in front of the lobby, but they are not very helpful and the mangement does not seem to care.
They have their own bycycle rental business, but the bikes are in terrible conditions (flat ties, no breaks..... ). For the same price you can get much better bikes outside the hotel.
The restaurant is just awful. The worst food I have had in a long time and the prices for dinner are very high by Bagan standards. Avoid it for breakfast (even if it is free) or dinner....

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Not easy for us to rate this hotel.

The hotel is charming and we liked the location, New Bagan is the best place to stay in Bagan (only tourists in Old Bagan).
We had a standard room, they are simple and tired, maybe a little dark, but we liked the furniture.

I read that some people found that the swimming pool was green and dirty, it was not the case when we came, the swimming pool was clean and blue, and it was a real pleasure after a day of bicycle under the sun.

Breakfast is average.

The problem we had is that the hotel management is greedy and rude. We booked a superior room on Agoda, a prepaid service for 60 USD. When we arrived, the staff told us there is only one standard room available, no apology, looked like we were lucky to have a room (remember : the room was already paid for months).

We asked to be refund of the difference, normal isn't it ? To finally get something, we had to complain again and again, we saw the manager not less than 5 times in 2 days, and got finally partly refund.

As tourism is booming in Myanmar, many hotels change their price according to the demand, a very bad practice in my opinion. But in our case, it was a daylight robbery.

That's the reason of our rating, for 30 USD standard rooms are good value, but we payed 52 USD and spent too much time to fight with the hotel management.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lboutet
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I booked this Hotel via the Internet 6-7 weeks in advance after having read a few scare stories about accomodation being booked up solid in Myanmar. ( I quite often turn up & take a chance, particularly in S. E. Asia ).
I arrived in Nyaung U on the bus from Yangon, turning up earlier than I expected i.e. 04:45 a m & was pleasantly surprised to find that the bus company's ticket included a free transfer to my Hotel. Arriving at Kaday Aung so early I quite expected to have to wait a few hours for my room but I was quickly & efficiently installed & was able to take a much welcome hot shower. Breakfast commences at 06:00 a. m. so I was out exploring the sites before 7 a m
I only paid just over £26 a night for my room & that included breakfast which is a buffet so you can stoke up as much as you want.
The grounds of the hotel are beautifully planted, the pool looks inviting & I really liked the outdoor dining area. My room was obviously one of the cheaper ones with twin matress on the floor but nonetheless it was large & in a great position on a balcony. The water was always hot, the electricity never failed & the staff were absolutely charming. Bicycles can be hired for 1700 Kyat per day-not Mountain Bikes & no gears but perfectly adequate.
I am amazed that some reviewers seem to have had a negative experience here _maybe they paid a lot more than I did. There is a warning on your room door concerning keeping it shut to keep the Mozzies out but I should think one would naturally do that anywhere in Asia.
The walls to my room were only bamboo panels so you could be unlucky if you have noisy neighbours & my only real gripe was that I had some laundry done there & it cost a fortune!
Finally, I would say the Hotel is in a great situation on the edge of New Bagan, very peaceful & handy for cycling off towards Old Bagan but only 10 mins walk from the main drag.

Room Tip: have a good look on-line before you book. I think many people pay an awful lot more for a room that might not be much better tan a cheaper one. Chances are you will be out visiting the sites most of the time.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank keith h
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We arrived in Bagan at 4:30am with no reservation and only a few names in mind. We knew Kaday Aung had a pool and it became our first choice. So we jumped in a pickup truck with a bunch of locals and got a great rate compared to the taxi's.

The hotel:
We were greeted by friendly staff at 4:30 in the morning and told they had a Family room and a $45/night room, we opted for the $45 and thought we would stay there a night, then bike around the area, move somewhere else and bike around that area. Until we experienced the great service at Kaday Aung and it's pool... we stayed 2 more nights.

The pros:
* Amazing staff that is helpful and friendly.
* Comfortable (soft) beds
* Clean rooms
* Fantastic pool to relax in after a day of biking.
* Convenience store right out front for cheap beer.
* Turn left when you leave and head down to plenty of restaurants.
* The fastest internet I experienced in all of Burma, we planned out a lot of our trip here.
* A bike ride away from almost all of the main attractions.

The Cons:
* Some bathrooms better than others
* The bikes for rent are crap, head left when leaving and rent other bikes.

Honestly, Bagan was the best experience of Burma for me, even compared to Ngapali! This hotel had a lot to do with the experience!

Room Tip: Check the bathrooms! The $45/room had a great bathroom with tub, the $30 had a dilapidated, rotted nasty one (but still a nice room). Just check them out first!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends