“Decent pizza, good service”

San Carlo Italian and Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #95 of 163 Restaurants in Bagan
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Decent pizza, good service”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

A sign near our hotel led us here. After weeks of rotating Myanmar food standards, it was nice to get a decent pizza. Real ingredients - including mozarella and an Italian-style tomato sauce - made it above average for a pizza in Asia.

The service was highly attentive. We enjoyed it heaps and returned for a second round.

• Visited January 2014

Singapore
“Nice Italian food”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

A very small set up just round the corner from Thirimarlar Hotel. . If u dine indoors, it will be within the small art gallery. Most will choose to dine outdoors by the road. The waiters will set up the table for you when you arrive. We tried a Hawaiian pizza and a pumpkin ravioli in white mushroom sauce, both were good. Plus a avocado juice and a Myanmar beer, the bill came up to 10,000 kyat. Wait for the food was reasonable. Wanted to have desert but did not see any on the menu then. Not sure if the pancake deserts were somewhere on the menu we did not see. We were served complementary watermelon after our meal. What was most interesting about the restaurant was that the excellent service was rendered by 3 young local males sporting non-uniform casual attire. ;)

BANGKOK
“Incredible selection”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We were completely astounded by the menu that we had low expectations of the food. However it was out of this world. The homemade pumpkin pasta with mushroom cream sauce was divine!!! The pizza was excellent. It is very small restaurant and quite lovely with the lights but the food shone :)

New York City, New York
“Good if you're in the area but don't go out of your way to eat here”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This place is great if it's 100m from your hotel and you're craving pizza (or a pita with some tomato sauce and a piece of a cheese on it). I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here, but there aren't a ton of options in the area so it's definitely worth it if you're close by. Their version of bruschetta was quite good.

Visited December 2013
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Awesome find!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed in the Kaday Aung Hotel for three nights during our stay in Bagan. The hotel is located New Bagan and is probably the only reason that we accidentally happened upon the San Carlo Restaurant.

The restaurant looks pleasant enough. A few tables in a traditional looking art gallery. All this, despite the fact that the restaurant serves Chinese and Italian food. The people working there are very kind and seem extremely grateful, when they serve you the food, that you’ve chosen to eat at the San Carlo Restaurant. There aren’t many tables, giving the restaurant a roomy feel, which is a nice change, given that most restaurants we went to in Bagan were packed. Our food also didn’t take too long to be made, which has been the case in other restaurants in Bagan.

Originally, we only went for the coffee, but when I saw the menu I couldn’t help but try the pizza as well. Having been in Myanmar for 2 months, most of that time spent in Mandalay, I wasn’t expecting much. Honestly, the only reason I had ordered it was because I was so hungry. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The crust was thin, (that’s just how I prefer it)crunchy and the toppings were fresh and delicious. The avocado salad was also amazing, though not very filling.

San Carlo serves traditional Italian styles of coffee, like the espresso and the cappuccino, and their coffee beans originate from Yangon. During my stay in Myanmar, I’ve had more instant coffee than I’ve had in my life, and this was a nice change to that. The few times I’ve been to San Carlo, the coffee has also always been hot.

It’s a nice, laid back restaurant, where you can go any time of day to have a drink or meal and just relax.