“Somewhat Overpriced”

Bagan Hotel River View
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Bagan
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I found this hotel on Tripadvisor, but it didn't live up to my relatively high expectations. The rooms were large, but not spotless. There was a lizard in my room, which, frankly, didn't bother me, but he was there to eat the mosquitoes, which, frankly, did.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the River
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Bagan Hotel River View

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

i stayed 2days in bagan hotel. very beautiful garden. night time live music riverside restaurant. not good wifi. no computer.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sinair
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I had a deluxe twin room for 2 nights this month.The room is a little oldish but its cleanliness is up to my expectation.Airconditioning not working well thus room feeling a little stuffy.Good service from the hotel staff and the location next to the river was excellent.Breakfast was average,however,due to the beautiful sounds of birds singing and squirrels darting among trees,I tend to forget the food and enjoyed the beautiful surrounding.
Dinner was great as the food was good and the ambient cosy with soothing life zither playing in the background.
The swimming pool area was cosy with many trees providing good shade to just lie around enjoying the serenity of bagan.
Overall its a nice place to park for 2 to 3 days in Bagan.
Overal,I enjoyed my stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jfken88
Reviewed 1 March 2014

After trying to book the hotel directly we gave up after the fax at the Hotel’s management company in Yangon did not work and used Agoda to book a deluxe room (the lowest category of room).

When we got to the hotel we will given a far better room than we reserved, one directly facing the river under one of the Presidential suites. When we arrived we planned to ask for a River View Suite, which face the direction of the river that were not available on Agoda when we booked the room. The rooms without a river view and without a porch looked like they had little light.

Our room was large and comfortable except for a semi open bathroom. I never understood the appeal of open or semi open bathrooms.

The hotel’s restaurant is on the river. Breakfasts were good. If the toasters do not work use the wire holders and toast your bread over the hot coals.

Dinners at the hotel are good enough. You will probably end up eating dinners at the hotel unless you want to get a taxi to one of the few restaurants in Old Bagan or the ones in New Bagan or Nyaung U. And, after you have watched a sundown from the top of a temple, the restaurant is a wonderful place to have a drink to see the sunset over the Irrawaddy River.

We were not part of a tour group and the hotel staff was very helpful in arranging for cars/drivers to Mount Popa (be sure to have lunch at the Popa Mountain Resort which overlooks Mount Popa) and to tour the temples, although the boat they arranged for to take us up the river was a near disaster as its propeller broke on the way back to the hotel. We got a ride back to Bagan on a passing boat, jumping on mid river from a small boat that got us off the boat with the broken propeller.

There is no Wi-Fi. Staff will say it is slow. We were there for four days and, after 30 minutes of trying each day, the closest we got was finally getting to Gmail ended with a “failed to connect due to Internet connection problem.” I even tried connecting on one of the Hotel’s office computers.

When we checked out we had to pay our dinner and drink bill with US Dollars, as their credit card machine could not connect to the Internet.

The Hotel is not alone in the lack of reliable Internet service. There are signs at the airport about free Wi-Fi, but the airport staff will tell you that it might work before 6 in the morning or after 7 at night.

If you want to stay in Old Bagan, the hotel is a good choice, but be prepared to pay in dollars.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ERBfd
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I had a junior suite for 2 nights. I think I made one of the best decisions to stay at this hotel. I booked a tour guide and taxi and had a great stay here. I like the gardens, the bourganvilas, the pagodas and sounds of the birds and squirrels in the gardens. I visited other hotels, Thandar Bagan and others in New Bagan. I am glad of the location as I can walk around the other pagodas. The breakfast is ok, the internet is slow. the chairs in the rooms are hard, ratan chairs, so need to request for a cushion. I was with my mum who walks rather slowly. Service from the staff was excellent.

Room Tip: Select the Junior suite if you have a chance
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

It's worth starting this review by saying that I got a very good price for this hotel on Agoda - so thought that it was great value. Looking at the rack rates on the hotel website, though, I can see why some people have been disappointed. My room was a junior suite, and for one person it was huge! I sneaked a peek in a standard room, and although smaller, they would still have been plenty big enough for me. The room was comfortable and clean, and although a little dark during the day, that kept it cooler, so was no bad thing. The grounds of the hotel are nice, and there's even a couple of small pagodas in the hotel gardens, next to the riverside bar - great for drinks in the evening. The wifi was unuseably slow, so don't even think about relying on being able to connect, even to be able to read email. All in all, though, very good value for the (cheap) price I paid, and wonderful to be so close that I was able to walk around to the museum and pagodas of Old Bagan.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We spent our worst 3 nights (out of 11) in Myanmar in this hotel. I had asked for the Aureum Palace, but my tour operator said it was sold out ( a year ahead), so they chose this place. They have been advised that I was not happy here. VERY worn (deep scratches in the hard wood floor), very poor bathroom. When you sat on toilet, your head hit the sink if you lowered it. And the upper shower head did not work. Also very small bathroom. The grounds are nice and the pool was nice, but since the room was unacceptable I would not recommend this hotel. They called this room a "deluxe" and said the room rate was around $180 per night. I was on a tour operator trip so don't know what I was billed. I checked out a deluxe room at the next door Thande hotel and it was very nice. Big bathroom, nice room and beautiful grounds in better condition.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business