“Good for the price but in need of renovation”

The Hotel Bagan Umbra
Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Bagan
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Arriving at the hotel I was quite worried what I would find after a recent spate of negative reviews on TripAdvisor and some cautioning words from a local. However, while not exactly pleasantly surprised on arrival, I thought the hotel was fine. It's definitely not 3 stars like they say behind their reception desk, but you get what you would expect for the cheap (for Bagan) $50 price tag.

The only real negative that stops this hotel from being great is the old, run down rooms. On the plus side the air conditioning works well, the bed is fine, there is a mini bar and TV and we had no problems with noise (we were in Room 301). On the negative side the door doesn't close flush so there is always a gap mosquitoes get through, we had real trouble getting any power outlets to work because they're so old plugs don't stay in place (only one worked in the room and it needed an European converter, even the converter supplied by the hotel didn't work), the WiFi is truly awful (I wouldn't rely on it for anything while you're here) and in general the room looks beaten up with mould in the bathroom, peeling paint on the walls etc.

Outside the room we had no issues. The staff were helpful, the pool area is lovely and the breakfast is really excellent. It looks like they're building new rooms, when they finish I expect this hotel really will be 3 stars (or probably more).

I think if you come to this hotel expecting to get what you paid for, not thinking you got an amazing bargain on a spectacular hotel, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keineideen
There are newer reviews for The Hotel Bagan Umbra

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I spent 5 nights at Umbra hotel and I felt like home! Friendly staff Always reday to help guests.
Good restaurant with lots of choice same for breakfast served in a nice garden.
Nice swimming pool.
My room was big clean and 24h hot water.
Good location between Nyaung U and old bagan.
Lots of restaurant at walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank vialactea
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I booked a room here through Agoda for 2 nights, I was SHOCKED with the room.
Very old,dirty bed covers and towels, very loud room and old.
I asked to change my room few times and even said i will pay more, the hotels around were all booked and didn't want to waste time in that amazing place Bagan on room searching.
the staff didn't care much and just repeated they have no rooms.
I was traveling in India, Laos, Nepal and Vietnam, that was my worst room!

Even by Burma hotel standards, terrible value for money, even for a guest house!
I must be fair and mention the pleasant pool and the breakfast but unfortunately i was waiting to leave this place AND COULDN'T ENJOY THAT AT ALL.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Nice reception area and helpful staff and pleasant pool (though insufficient sun loungers etc). My room (305) was fine. Personally I was not so keen on the breakfasts. Wifi very slow everywhere, even by Burma hotel standards. Not really good value for money. Staff helpful when I got sick.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank wimbledonian1
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We were staying here in December for 3 nights. The hotel has a very nice and a queit garden where the day starts with a nice breakfast. Egg station, pancakes, toast and Asian breakfast. Almost the best Buffet Breakfast we had in Myanmar. The room is big, bathroom some kind of old but hot shower. The stuff is really friendly. They were organizing the Balloon Ride over Bagan for us. Including a babysitter that came at 5am to the room to watch after our son when we were enjoying the sunrise over Bagan :)
It is possible to hire e-bikes at the reception. If they don't have any left, they arrange some very quickly.
The pool is nice, but didn't look that inviting, the water didn't seem to be very clean. I didn't risk it to take a swim. But the weather was not that hot anyway. On the first day we were arriving very early in the morning, they proposed us to take a breakfast that day instead of the last day where we had to leave early. Very flexibel stuff. I totally can recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I booked a room here through Agoda and although they had a room for me, I was SHOCKED at how horribly the manager treated guests. Basically, if you have a pre-paid reservation, they have no incentive to accommodate you. A couple who had reserved a superior room with 2 beds was told that they couldn't be accommodated and although they did not protest the 1st day, they were told they could switch the next day. The next day, the manager told them that they couldn't be accommodated and was very nasty to them and suggested that they could stay somewhere else. Good food but disgusting bathrooms. Hotel also set up a horse cart ride for me and told me one price and then another....shady.

Room Tip: Away from construction and all the pigeons living in roof.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Spacious but basic room. Pool is Nice. Extensive and good breakfast. Wifi ok. Good location and hotel offers bikes for $2 per day. Test The bike before you Go or take an electric one. They are currently building a new part that looks more like a resort and looks very promising.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple