“Pool, clean, cheap for a resort-like place”

Kumudara Hotel Bagan
Ranked #31 of 51 Hotels in Bagan
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Set in New Bagan Kumudara is a quiet, peaceful setting. This hotel was REALLY nice. The pool was a great way to start your day, cool off in the hottest time of the day and watch the sunset. Temples and pagodas surround Kumudara, wherever you look you see temples and pagodas. The view from our room was great, it was a view of temples. The rooms are good sized and have air-con. The restaurant is good for after exploring Bagan and its archeological sites. The rooms aren't exactly for people who are on a tight budget though. The superior room is $44USD for double occupancy and $15USD for an extra bed. The staff are nice and speak English well. There are many horse and buggy outside the hotel and sometimes have cheaper prices than the taxis. Negotiating is good. We went to Green Elephant with a horse and buggy (two way), the buggy driver waited for about an hour, it only costed 6,000 Kyats. This hotel is amazing and my family and I really enjoyed or stay there.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Erika B

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Pleasant and relaxed this slightly faded hotel was a great place to stay other than a few minor annoyances. I'll start with the annoyances first. The internet access was more unreliable than anywhere else we stayed in Myanmar, including places that were half the price. I was constantly asking the reception staff to reset the router. There is no internet in your room unless you are willing to shell out $10 per day which is just a completely outmoded way of supplying something that is a free service at most hotels. The staff are friendly and helpful but the fellows at the reception desk need more training in how to deal with customers in a efficient and business=like manner.Food was cheap but disappointing - more cafeteria-style than restaurant and mediocre. We ate at a nearby restaurant - the Mingalabar Food Corner - which I highly recommend. Drinks in the restaurant were reasonably well done and cheap.
Stayed in a junior suite which was spacious and comfortable. Some minor annoyances that should not happen in a three star place like this: the powerpoints were worn out and it was difficult to get a stable connection. The shower water ran down the wall side of the bath and straight on to the floor making a big puddle. Doors would not latch very easily.
Despite these gripes this place is recommended - very peaceful and the pool was wonderful to lounge around in after a hot day.

Room Tip: Probably worth paying the extra for the junior suites over the standard rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dizzylimit
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Would recommend this as a great place to stay; the best things about it were the views and proximity of the temples from the rooms/pool, and the friendly, helpful staff. Closer to less touristed temples. The rooms were nicely furnished, were very clean compared to other places we stayed, the building is ageing but still pleasant. A 10-15min walk into New Bagan restaurants, a little dark at night but easy walking & safe.Great to hire a pushbike and ride around temples, into Old Bagan etc. Pool was good, there were a few water beetles in a corner (harmless), rather share with them than chemicals! ( it is Asia!). Overall loved the stay ( in June-low season), but found the price I pre-booked on Agoda was more expensive than over the counter rate.

Room Tip: We were in the cheaper rooms at the back of complex on first floor and had a pleasant balcony view o...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 3-southerners
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This is a fantastic place to stay. I loved it. I could look out my window & see pagodas which was awesome. There's a pool, a restaurant (the food is cheap and good), the staff are lovely. They try very hard to help. I arrived before 9am and the room was ready for me. I can't say enough about the place. It was brilliant and I had a lovely relaxing 3 days there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Waitarere
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I am a single female traveller. I stayed at this hotel in June 2013 (despite it being low season, hot and rainy season, it did not rain but was very hot at about 42 centigrade lunch time). I loved it here. Location is out of town so not feasible to walk to town for dinner if you are alone as it's pitch black at night and 20 minute walk. Restaurant had good menu, decent prices and I could not believe they had italian white and red wine for 1500 kyats a 175 ml glass (and it was nice). Even in Inle lake where they make wine I had to pay much much more albeit for very good wine. The restaurant or hotel manager was very friendly and helpful, had great English and all the staff were friendly, helpful, went out of their way to do anything for you. There were only a couple of guests there at teh same time as me so we had the place to ourselves. I arrived at the airport 6.30am and started my car tour of Bagan which took all day, it was a long, hot day but the car was air con and the temples and scenery adn views were incredible. I had a shan lunch which I got a stomach bug from so that was unfortunate and I couldn't even eat most of it as it was covered in flies and had strange herbs and spices that were very bitter. It was good to try though and I don't regret it. I was mesmerised by the views and temples and the colours of orange rock and orange sandy/clay ground against green trees and bushes. It was incredible, every temple/stupa, monastery is so different. I had a station guide (guy who spoke English and accompanied driver) which I felt was really important as I was totally on my own and didn't know anything. He really made the day come alive. He was knowledgeable, passionate and really decent as all of them are (having spoken to other travellers). I loved the hotel, it had a pool, it was run down but so funny having an infinity pool surrounded by unkempt lawns and gorgeous temples and broken down sunbeds, hilarious. I had a nice swim and quick sunbathe at 4pm as it was still 38 centigrade. Forgive me but we had the coldest winter in Britain for 100 years so I was determined to get some kind of tan. I loved the room, long and huge, lovely wooden decor and little veranda over water area but tons of insects so kept doors closed. Two beds, fridge, TV, huge bathroom, was really nice. Air con did not work that well and room was bit too warm for me, probably about 27 centigrade which was tough going to sleep in but what can you expect in that heat. Next day I went to Mount Popa which was fabulous, great views of monastery on top of cliff, stunning, great climb, intersting little village. Loads of monkeys to keep your bag tight to you or they will grab what looks like food. Thoroughly enjoyed it and also the temples we saw in the afternoon. Watched sunset on top of temple (climbed up with other travellers on advice of staton guide/driver). Really good fun. Bagan is old, peaceful, small, a couple of sleepy roads with few shop/stalls, hotels and hundreds of temples and stupas jutting out of the grass. Saw lots of famrers, local produce, bought a bottle of honey and since getting it home discovered it has a really unusual taste which reminds me of Myanmar - very nice and unusual and worth buying. All in all, very much recommend this hotel as I loved every minute of it. Had two great days of excursions by car and chilled in pool for an hour at end of each day and chilled at restaurant and with nice wine and in room at night. Prices extremely reasonable, water 500 kyat large bottle, can soft drink 1000 kyats, generous glass of wine filled to brim 1500 kyats, can of lager 1000-1500 kyats, meals about 4-5000 kyats. Great hotel, great value, great location.

Room Tip: There are little wooden bungalows facing the pool which may be nice in high season but personally I...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Naama
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The Hotel is situated at the edge of New Bagan... so you will have views of Pagodas from your room if you have the rooms at the back with great sunrise view. I also enjoyed the seating area inside with some tea. They accommodated us earlier, when we arrive from the overnight bus. So it was great to freshen up and settle down before going out to breakfast. The breakfast area was nice... eating outside makes you enjoy the place. Rooms are a bit old but cozy enough. Bring Mosquito repellants because there are some that can go inside your room. The pool area is nice, with bugs but nice enough to cool down and towels are available. That is good. They have bikes for Rent for only 500 kyats per hour. Just remember you have to pay 10 USD for the whole site of Bagan.

Room Tip: If you want rooms with nice Pagoda view... choose the back and it has great sunrise view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmorSabella
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Myanmar definitely has inflated prices for the quality of guest houses and hotels but we felt that Kumudara was the exception. It is about one km dusty walk into downtown New Bagan but so worth the extra walk. We paid $42 US per night but the room we were put in was spotless and very nicely decorated with comfortable beds. We had cold bottled water every day and the breakfast buffet was substantial and eggs were made to order. As there are random dogs and no lights on the road at night, we decided that it made sense to eat at the hotel restaurant as they had a very nice patio. The only complaint would be that it took a long time between ordering the food and receiving it. It took about 30-45minutes to get our meals but the food was consistently good and reasonable in price. There is also a pool on site as our room had a walk out balcony to the pool. We didn't use it but it looked very nice and had an outside shower for rinsing off.

I would highly recommend this place for bang for value.

Room Tip: If you are a couple, spend a few dollars more for the nicer rooms with walk out patios.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple