“Get a NEW ROOM!”

Ranked #27 of 46 Hotels in Bagan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Get a NEW ROOM!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Apparently we got a room that wasn't recently renovated, it was so dirty and dark and dingy. The bathroom was invested with ants-- no there was NO bathtub. We were too exhausted to ask for a room change b/c we arrived at 5:30 am from a night bus. I do think it was very nice of them to let us in our rooms that early to sleep.. however the rooms gave me the heebegeebes! It was one of the closest rooms to the main road that leads to old Bagan, so very convenient at night when it's pitch black outside and you can't see anything as you're biking back. Food prices were reasonable, about $3/dish. The breakfast was sustainable, and the view was gorgeous.. The pool was very clean and beautiful, although no one was using it. We rented bikes for $3/day. It's about a 20 minute bike ride to the main temples, and the service was very nice. However, ask for NEW/CLEAN room! Ughh..ours were so nasty.

Room Tip: Get a new room, i dunno where they are b/c they show up in the photos..but our room had no bathtub a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iluvcamby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Room was large, and nice, but very dimly lit. Bathroom definitely in need of updating - hot water took ages and water temperature was difficult to adjust after that. Sink was falling off the wall and frequently slow to drain. Good breakfast available. Location was a little out of the way, more like 10-15 mins walk to restaurants than the 5 mins we were told by the reception staff. The manager spoke to us at breakfast one day and apparently we should have stayed in one of the junior suites rather than the standard room we had booked!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was traveling solo and stayed in a " junior suite" for 1 night. When I first arrived they put me in a different ground floor room with no view even though I had requested and paid for the other. After much hassle, they finally moved me to a 2nd floor room with balcony. It was definitely worth changing rooms. From my room balcony, I could see temples/stupas in the distance and early morning between 7-8am you can see the hot air balloons as well! Two of the balloons landed in the field just off the balcony and I enjoyed watching them.

Wifi was slow but worked fine in my room. I had room 711. There was a small fridge, 2 bottles of water are provided daily. There was a room safe, basic toiletries, slippers, thin robes.

Cleanliness was just ok. I noticed one of the coffee cups had not been washed from previous guests. Towels were worn but ok. The room had twin beds. I didn't notice if there was air con or not, as the temperature was fine. There was a tv as well but I didn't use it. There was a phone in the room to be able to call the front desk. I did not like the fact they called me at 8:00 am before i had gone to breakfast to ask me what time I would be checking out of my room that day!!

They do charge for any stains you make or if you break anything in the room-- there was a price list in the room.

I had problems with no hot water in my room, even after they claimed to fix it. The weather was hot while I was in Bagan so a cold shower in the afternoon was ok for one day. Also, I had problems with the shower water running out onto the bathroom floor and soaking everything that was on the floor! The tub seemed to drain all water onto the floor, so be sure to put your clothes or towels, etc onto the counter!!

Breakfast was 6-9am. Nothing special but basics. Coffee, tea, juice, toast, cut up fruits (watermelon, papaya), you can get eggs made to order, and they had some Chinese looking foods, fried noodles, rice porridge, sliced sausages, etc.

There seemed to be a mix of both foreign and Myanmar guests at the hotel.

I found the location to be a bit out of the way for walking-- and at night I did not want to go out walking alone as it is very dark and you need a flashlight or torch. It was a good 45 min walk down dirt roads from the hotel just down to the river where there are a couple of restaurants. I did take a taxi a couple of times. I paid about 10,000 kyat to go to an ATM machine and back to the hotel. Another time I paid 15,000 for a taxi to drive me to a restaurant and wait while I had dinner and bring me back to the hotel.

As for sightseeing, in the morning there were both horse cart drivers and taxi drivers around the lobby area. It was easy to arrange. I paid 35,000 kyat for a private air con taxi for the entire day-- as many temples as I wanted and brought me back to hotel after watching the sunset. The hotel can also help to book taxis or anything.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel. It was quiet and comfortable and my highlight was the morning view of the balloons from my balcony.

• Stayed December 2013
Spain
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed 5 nights in this hotel. The room is really juge and it has nice views. The food (dinner) is good and tasty and not expensive. Nice breakfast. Well located hotel, very close to ttemples. Sometimes hot water shortage.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Brussels
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The superior room was nice and clean, the temple views from the room and from the swimming pool are amazing. You can easily walk to the restaurants in New Bagan, and rent bicicles from the hotel. There were a couple of things that bothered us: the superior "double" room, was actually a twin room. The swimming pool area was not clean: sigarette butts in the grass, dirty towels lying everywhere (and no clean ones available in the -dirty- towel box). Also the restrooms at the restaurant are really dirty. And we had the impression that the staff did not really care.
Overall, quite expensive, so maybe there are better choices in Bagan!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have temple views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I recommend this hotel, it is pretty nice, well located, good design in a quite area. Though, we saw 2 cockroaches in two days stay, but cannot blame too much given the location. All the bathroom equipments are apparently anti E Coli, good to know as many people get sick in this country due to poor water quality.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Very pleasant, quiet hotel. We stayed in a superior room for 3 nights and paid 56 USD per night.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. We had a small balcony.

The restaurant was reasonably priced and served good food. We ate there a couple of nights because other restaurants were at least 15 min walk.

The staff were helpful. They booked our boat tickets to Mandalay, but it took them longer than they initially told us.

We hired bikes from the hotel one day for 3,000 kyat each, but they all seemed to have some small problems due to lack of maintenance. The next day we hired electronic bikes from a place nearby for 7,000 kyat per day, which was a much better way to get around to the temples.

Room Tip: The junior suite is newer and fancier, but not necessarily larger than the superior room.
Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends