“A comfortable stay”

Kumudara Hotel Bagan
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in Bagan
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed in the spacious J-Suite with a great view of the temples, lit up at night. I was comfortable and relatively happy. However, the bathroom had no shower curtain which meant the floor was sopping wet every time I took a shower. It was also hard to read and write in my room because the lights were really dim. I ate frequently in the hotel restaurant and found the service to be atrocious. Placing an order could result in a 45-min. wait. If there is a big group having dinner, you may have to wait even longer. Check how much time it will take before you order an item. Clearly, the hotel can hire more staff/cooks but is not willing to invest, despite charging a good bit of money for the rooms.

On the positive side, Kumudara offers free internet service, apparently one of the few in Bagan to do so. And they don't make their guests pay for a compulsory New Year's Eve dinner like so many hotels do.

The location is New Bagan which means you will need some form of transportation to see the temples. However, a few famous ones are within easy walking distance such as Abeyadana, Socmingyi, Nagayon, and Nan Paya. I hired a horse cart for two days ($25 per day) and covered all the big names. My favorites: Ananda Pahto, Thatbyinnu, Shwegugyi, Gawdawpalin, and Sulamani.
I did experience temple fatigue on the second day--most of the temples are very similar and, unlike Indian temples, are largely bereft of sculpture, carvings, and decoration. Some have frescoes and murals but, the lack of internal lighting, makes it nearly impossible to view them. Flashlights are a must but can do only so much.

Because of the terrible, swirling dust, I strongly recommend wearing a face mask while visiting the temples. You won't look strange or stupid--plenty of people will be wearing them. I got a sore throat because I didn't.

My first Bagan sunset was on the Irrawady. You can go for a boat ride, if you wish. My second was up on Shwesandaw temple, and the view was just stunning.

My flights and hotel were booked by Dimple Swe [dimple.7diamond@gmail.com] of 7 Diamond Express. She was extremely helpful and totally reliable. And she always answered my e-mails promptly. She met me at my hotel in Yangon on my very first day, and I paid her in crisp US dollars. (BTW, it would be a good idea to change your money in Yangon because you will get an inferior rate in Bagan). I flew Air Bagan, which doesn't have the best safety record, but there were no problems.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Very large rooms with huge windows and nice balconies. A bit old fashioned and in need of a revamp, but good value. We used the large swimming pool every day and it was great! Staff try very hard and are eager to please. We rented bikes, then electric bikes from the place at the end of the road and found the location very good for everything. Several good restaurants in the road with the good local morning market. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Standard rooms facing the pool were fine.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel - and unfortunately I think it will be the last - which is a shame because it has so much potential but the staff are just not interested.
This time we stayed in the new rooms which are beautifully appointed, modern and spacious. Really very nice.
The views are stunning and the semi-remote nature of the hotel adds to the mysterious, beautiful, quietness that somehow seems appropriate in Bagan.
Unfortunately - the stunning location is as much a curse as a blessing when it comes to food - the restaurant was horrendous, not only bad service, not only cold food (including the currys) but our son ordered sweet & sour and was served chicken in tomato ketchup - which he thought was fine, but the four adults amongst us found distinctly foul. When we stayed last year, the restaurant was really, really good - great in fact - this time it was terrible. The staff had no interest in taking food and drink orders, serving food from the kitchen or anything bar watching the football on the tv.
If you do stay here - order a taxi via reception and head into Nyang U, the downtown backpacker area - it'll cost about 7-10,000 kcats and is worth every penny

Room Tip: Get the new rooms as they are more moden
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ali-Ludwell
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Apparently we got a room that wasn't recently renovated, it was so dirty and dark and dingy. The bathroom was invested with ants-- no there was NO bathtub. We were too exhausted to ask for a room change b/c we arrived at 5:30 am from a night bus. I do think it was very nice of them to let us in our rooms that early to sleep.. however the rooms gave me the heebegeebes! It was one of the closest rooms to the main road that leads to old Bagan, so very convenient at night when it's pitch black outside and you can't see anything as you're biking back. Food prices were reasonable, about $3/dish. The breakfast was sustainable, and the view was gorgeous.. The pool was very clean and beautiful, although no one was using it. We rented bikes for $3/day. It's about a 20 minute bike ride to the main temples, and the service was very nice. However, ask for NEW/CLEAN room! Ughh..ours were so nasty.

Room Tip: Get a new room, i dunno where they are b/c they show up in the photos..but our room had no bathtub a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iluvcamby
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Room was large, and nice, but very dimly lit. Bathroom definitely in need of updating - hot water took ages and water temperature was difficult to adjust after that. Sink was falling off the wall and frequently slow to drain. Good breakfast available. Location was a little out of the way, more like 10-15 mins walk to restaurants than the 5 mins we were told by the reception staff. The manager spoke to us at breakfast one day and apparently we should have stayed in one of the junior suites rather than the standard room we had booked!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was traveling solo and stayed in a " junior suite" for 1 night. When I first arrived they put me in a different ground floor room with no view even though I had requested and paid for the other. After much hassle, they finally moved me to a 2nd floor room with balcony. It was definitely worth changing rooms. From my room balcony, I could see temples/stupas in the distance and early morning between 7-8am you can see the hot air balloons as well! Two of the balloons landed in the field just off the balcony and I enjoyed watching them.

Wifi was slow but worked fine in my room. I had room 711. There was a small fridge, 2 bottles of water are provided daily. There was a room safe, basic toiletries, slippers, thin robes.

Cleanliness was just ok. I noticed one of the coffee cups had not been washed from previous guests. Towels were worn but ok. The room had twin beds. I didn't notice if there was air con or not, as the temperature was fine. There was a tv as well but I didn't use it. There was a phone in the room to be able to call the front desk. I did not like the fact they called me at 8:00 am before i had gone to breakfast to ask me what time I would be checking out of my room that day!!

They do charge for any stains you make or if you break anything in the room-- there was a price list in the room.

I had problems with no hot water in my room, even after they claimed to fix it. The weather was hot while I was in Bagan so a cold shower in the afternoon was ok for one day. Also, I had problems with the shower water running out onto the bathroom floor and soaking everything that was on the floor! The tub seemed to drain all water onto the floor, so be sure to put your clothes or towels, etc onto the counter!!

Breakfast was 6-9am. Nothing special but basics. Coffee, tea, juice, toast, cut up fruits (watermelon, papaya), you can get eggs made to order, and they had some Chinese looking foods, fried noodles, rice porridge, sliced sausages, etc.

There seemed to be a mix of both foreign and Myanmar guests at the hotel.

I found the location to be a bit out of the way for walking-- and at night I did not want to go out walking alone as it is very dark and you need a flashlight or torch. It was a good 45 min walk down dirt roads from the hotel just down to the river where there are a couple of restaurants. I did take a taxi a couple of times. I paid about 10,000 kyat to go to an ATM machine and back to the hotel. Another time I paid 15,000 for a taxi to drive me to a restaurant and wait while I had dinner and bring me back to the hotel.

As for sightseeing, in the morning there were both horse cart drivers and taxi drivers around the lobby area. It was easy to arrange. I paid 35,000 kyat for a private air con taxi for the entire day-- as many temples as I wanted and brought me back to hotel after watching the sunset. The hotel can also help to book taxis or anything.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel. It was quiet and comfortable and my highlight was the morning view of the balloons from my balcony.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed 5 nights in this hotel. The room is really juge and it has nice views. The food (dinner) is good and tasty and not expensive. Nice breakfast. Well located hotel, very close to ttemples. Sometimes hot water shortage.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple