Kumudara Hotel Bagan
US$107
US$85
US$70
Priceline
All reviewsswimming poolpagoda viewper dayair conhotel restauranthot air balloonshotel rentsvery pleasant staymount popaspacious roomnice poole bikebalconyinternetbikesusdruins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed in the spacious J-Suite with a great view of the temples, lit up at night. I was comfortable and relatively happy. However, the bathroom had no shower curtain which meant the floor was sopping wet every time I took a shower. It was also hard to read and write in my room because the lights were really dim. I ate frequently in the hotel restaurant and found the service to be atrocious. Placing an order could result in a 45-min. wait. If there is a big group having dinner, you may have to wait even longer. Check how much time it will take before you order an item. Clearly, the hotel can hire more staff/cooks but is not willing to invest, despite charging a good bit of money for the rooms.

On the positive side, Kumudara offers free internet service, apparently one of the few in Bagan to do so. And they don't make their guests pay for a compulsory New Year's Eve dinner like so many hotels do.

The location is New Bagan which means you will need some form of transportation to see the temples. However, a few famous ones are within easy walking distance such as Abeyadana, Socmingyi, Nagayon, and Nan Paya. I hired a horse cart for two days ($25 per day) and covered all the big names. My favorites: Ananda Pahto, Thatbyinnu, Shwegugyi, Gawdawpalin, and Sulamani.
I did experience temple fatigue on the second day--most of the temples are very similar and, unlike Indian temples, are largely bereft of sculpture, carvings, and decoration. Some have frescoes and murals but, the lack of internal lighting, makes it nearly impossible to view them. Flashlights are a must but can do only so much.

Because of the terrible, swirling dust, I strongly recommend wearing a face mask while visiting the temples. You won't look strange or stupid--plenty of people will be wearing them. I got a sore throat because I didn't.

My first Bagan sunset was on the Irrawady. You can go for a boat ride, if you wish. My second was up on Shwesandaw temple, and the view was just stunning.

My flights and hotel were booked by Dimple Swe [dimple.7diamond@gmail.com] of 7 Diamond Express. She was extremely helpful and totally reliable. And she always answered my e-mails promptly. She met me at my hotel in Yangon on my very first day, and I paid her in crisp US dollars. (BTW, it would be a good idea to change your money in Yangon because you will get an inferior rate in Bagan). I flew Air Bagan, which doesn't have the best safety record, but there were no problems.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Very large rooms with huge windows and nice balconies. A bit old fashioned and in need of a revamp, but good value. We used the large swimming pool every day and it was great! Staff try very hard and are eager to please. We rented bikes, then electric bikes from the place at the end of the road and found the location very good for everything. Several good restaurants in the road with the good local morning market. We would stay again.

Room Tip: Standard rooms facing the pool were fine.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel - and unfortunately I think it will be the last - which is a shame because it has so much potential but the staff are just not interested.
This time we stayed in the new rooms which are beautifully appointed, modern and spacious. Really very nice.
The views are stunning and the semi-remote nature of the hotel adds to the mysterious, beautiful, quietness that somehow seems appropriate in Bagan.
Unfortunately - the stunning location is as much a curse as a blessing when it comes to food - the restaurant was horrendous, not only bad service, not only cold food (including the currys) but our son ordered sweet & sour and was served chicken in tomato ketchup - which he thought was fine, but the four adults amongst us found distinctly foul. When we stayed last year, the restaurant was really, really good - great in fact - this time it was terrible. The staff had no interest in taking food and drink orders, serving food from the kitchen or anything bar watching the football on the tv.
If you do stay here - order a taxi via reception and head into Nyang U, the downtown backpacker area - it'll cost about 7-10,000 kcats and is worth every penny

Room Tip: Get the new rooms as they are more moden
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ali-Ludwell
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Apparently we got a room that wasn't recently renovated, it was so dirty and dark and dingy. The bathroom was invested with ants-- no there was NO bathtub. We were too exhausted to ask for a room change b/c we arrived at 5:30 am from a night bus. I do think it was very nice of them to let us in our rooms that early to sleep.. however the rooms gave me the heebegeebes! It was one of the closest rooms to the main road that leads to old Bagan, so very convenient at night when it's pitch black outside and you can't see anything as you're biking back. Food prices were reasonable, about $3/dish. The breakfast was sustainable, and the view was gorgeous.. The pool was very clean and beautiful, although no one was using it. We rented bikes for $3/day. It's about a 20 minute bike ride to the main temples, and the service was very nice. However, ask for NEW/CLEAN room! Ughh..ours were so nasty.

Room Tip: Get a new room, i dunno where they are b/c they show up in the photos..but our room had no bathtub and the bathroom was filled with ants.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iluvcamby
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Room was large, and nice, but very dimly lit. Bathroom definitely in need of updating - hot water took ages and water temperature was difficult to adjust after that. Sink was falling off the wall and frequently slow to drain. Good breakfast available. Location was a little out of the way, more like 10-15 mins walk to restaurants than the 5 mins we were told by the reception staff. The manager spoke to us at breakfast one day and apparently we should have stayed in one of the junior suites rather than the standard room we had booked!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends