“Nice but a little bit far from town”
Review of Ruby True Hotel

Ruby True Hotel
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Bagan
New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Nice but a little bit far from town”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

The place is good. . Good rooms....big and clean.

Hotel had a restaurant with good prices and good food. . Around 5000 kyat for main..3000 kyat for beer. Also serves buffet breakfast.

Staff is extremely extremely friendly. Almost too much!!

It is a little bit out of the way if you want to have dinner somewhere else. . The only way would be to take a bike or walk. . But it is about 15 min walk to the closest restaurant with no light on the street.

Because the food was good in our restaurant being out of the way wasn't too bad for us.

Will I like to come back? Yes..

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
kuala lumpur
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

we are 10 person group travel to bagan and stay in ruby true hotel. we actually stay only one night , but hotel allow us to check in early morning 6am and check out late at 6pm. they have beautiful garden. room clean, have bathtub.staff helpful and always keep smile.we have a dinner in hotel before we leave. it was just US 8 with myanmar traditional puppet show. we all enjoy stay here and promise will come back.the hotel was sold to new owner last month, owner told us they going to upgrade and improve everything. it's a good news for all travellers!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank hedyhee
Pitt Meadows, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Wa Wa, the hotel manager was super friendly & always cheerful. Her entire staff was excellent in everyway. Surrounding ground was well manicured with a beautiful flower covered pathway that lead to the cottage style rooms. We stayed here for 3 nights & loved it very much. Our room was located at the very back, which was super quiet with a lovely front porch seating area. Room was very spacious and clean. Bathroom had bathtub w/shower & everything functioned well. We even had flower petals in our toilet upon arrival :) There was TV in room but not many english channels. Wifi was not good strength but it's normal for Myanmar.

Breakfast buffet was included, which was very delicious. Staff even calls your room to make sure you don't miss breakfast. Now that's great service! Dinner was reasonably priced & was very tasty. We were lucky to see 2 dance performances during dinner time because hotel had 2 big groups of tourist attend during our stay, therefore, it was a great night of entertainment. Very happy we stayed here!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LuuWongGo
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This was hands down the best place we stayed anywhere in Myanmar- Don't listen to any of the negative comments here! Yes, it may be a little pricey, but so are all guesthouses in Myanmar. Sure, the internet is sometimes slow, but please show me where it isn't in this country.

The staff, particularly Lyn Nyat (the caretaker), truly make this a special place. We showed up at 4:00 a.m.- Lyn immediately showed us to our room to let us sleep before going through the hassle of checking in. The day we checked out and our bus didn't leave until 7 p.m., she let us keep the room all day at no extra charge because she worried it was too hot outside for us. Even when I'm pretty sure we were the only ones in the hotel one day, they still prepared our full breakfast buffet, with the full staff waiting for us in the morning until we woke up. Every step of the way the staff treated us like family, which is truly priceless anywhere you stay. Bagan is a special place, and Ruby True Hotel really helped top it off. Probably one of my fondest memories from our entire trip through Southeast Asia- I would absolutely come back here anytime I'm in Bagan!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Travel_hax
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Ruby true Hotel is situated a little away from the town but it is oasis away from hustle and bustle of the old town, my room was nice, bed comfortable and the service was excellent. I loved the beautiful gardens before entering my room, the place was clean and the staff did their best to make me comfortable, Waa Waa and all her staff were helpful. Breakfast was nice and hotel was good value for Bagan so I was happy in this hotel, I said good bye to all the staff and set off for the airport.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Smeets P
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I arrived at 430am and no one was in the lobby. The taxi driver yelled and banged on the door for 10 seconds and a lady and young man ran out to help me. I felt SO BAD for waking them up but they were not upset at ALL.

Since that morning, my stay had been nothing but a 10/10. The manager (the lady is not the owner even though she treats everyone as if you are a special guest at her house, very warm hearted) was so helpful with booking me (a solo traveler) a taxi to see the bagan temples at sunrise and a bus ticket back to Yangon...with no commission. She did it because she wanted to help. She was there at 5am escorting me to the driver for my sunrise tour. She was there to greet me for breakfast the next day... She is an angel.

The staff was also wonderful. They have manners of men from the 1900s. Manners that most men and women do not have now. I was so impressed. Especially with the man who could speak English. I didn't have the chance to talk other staff members but we exchanged smiles often because of the language barrier.

The rooms are "bungalows" in a really pretty garden. During the raining season, you can have breakfast and dinner in the garden. Such a beautiful place to be. Yes the color of the room is brown but seriously who cares?! (Regarding the reviews about it being ugly inside) personally, I judge the quality of a room by how clean the bathroom is and it was spotless. Showers were clean with okay shower pressure. The water was hot when I wanted to be. AC worked and so did the lights.

The location of this hotel is in New Bagan. The temples are in old bagan so you would need to rent a bike or take a taxi. Even though bagan is a touristy area, it is not like Phuket Touristy or Hong Kong touristy. It's kind of deserted and the owner is really glad to help you with directions to the main road for restaurants or to arrange transportation.

Note: I was warned of the blackouts in bagan during this time of year because of how hot it is. There were a few but none of them lasted for more than an hour. (The blackouts occur all over the region)

But honestly, coming here and seeing how nice and humble the staff is really made me want to be nicer to strangers lol.

For the price, it is worth every penny and more.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica Z
Japan
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

They arranged airrline tickets, lending electric bikes and transfer service. All arrrangements are helpful and served reasonable price. We arrived at 5am around but we can use our room at free of charge. All staffs have best hospitality and friendly. Unfortunately, we can use free wi-fi sometimes. But other services are excellent. We would like to stay again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple