Bagan Thande Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
1,337 results
All reviewsacacia treesthe riverprince of waleseconomy rooma river view roompuppet showoutdoor restaurantwatch the sunsetlovely settingbreakfast and dinnerbit datedswimming poolhotel restauranthorse carte bikehotel groundsthree nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 May 2012

A little late in writing this review, my 21 year old son and stayed here last October, in a twin room by the river . While it's not a 5 , or even a 4 star hotel, the setting is beyond belief. I thought our room on the riverfront was spacious and clean and I enjoyed sitting on the from verandah watching the boats traveling up and down the river.
The outdoor restaurant area where breakfast is served, as is lunch and dinner, is a beautiful shady spot under the trees, and on the three nights we stayed here, we sat and had drinks and read while the sun set over the river.
Forget Internet access... Very sporadic, but even my son commented that it was the most peaceful place he had ever been and didn't miss the technology . And he's been dragged around a few countries.
We hired pushbikes from the little shed at the entrance to the hotel, and cycled for the three days amoungst the temples and to the surrounding small towns. It was hot going, but the highlight of my trip. The staff were wonderful, we enjoyed the food and had lunch by the pool on two of the days, which was a blessing in the heat of the day. We also took a horse and cart ride which was a unique experience, particularly when a young person on a motorbike rode up to the back of the cart where i was sitting, and whilst still keeping up , tried to sell me a ruby!!!
If I ever get to return to Myanmar , I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, it will always be one of my favourite places and hold wonderful memories.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Gai_10
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed 7 times in this hotel . Since 2009 , I visit Bagan twice a year and really enjoy the atmosphere . It's the first time , I write a review on the Thande Hotel , and after all this stays , I still recommand it with all my heart .
My favourite rooms are the 2007 , 2014 and 2016 , wich are river views .
The only negative point would be , that the choice of FRESH fruitjuice in the morning is not acceptable !!!
I am so happy to stay at the Thande again next August for 8 nights !!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank rangoonBrussels
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed two nights at the Thande and enjoyed it. Beeing a family of five we had two riverfront rooms. The property is great and well kept with an ideal Old Bagan location. Rooms are fine and more than good enough, but not exactly luxurious. Breakfast good, served at the beautiful outside restaurant underneath the roof of Acacia trees. Also great for a sundowner. Dinner good enough, but service on the slow side. Staff attending to the rooms very friendly, while the other staff didn't really match the standard of the rest of Myanmar.

We truly enjoyed the pool. The weather is hot, and there is a limit to how many pagodas you can digest in a day, especially the kids. A few hours of poolside rest during the heat of the afternoon was great.

Bagan being a fantastic historic site an a world class tourist attraction still has that unspoilt feeling to it. You can rent bikes and try your luck along the sandy side roads, discovering as you go - more or less planned - through the scenic pagoda landscape. I was there 25 years ago and surprisingly little had changed.

Go now.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mathys T
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I chose to stay for two nights at the Bagan Thande Hotel based on its good reviews, location in Old Bagan along the riverfront, and heritage background, but was immensely let down. The physical quality of the property was mixed - well-maintained gardens and a nice, broad lawn riverside, but tired rooms and a lobby that had both the charm and appearance of a double-wide trailer. This was excusable considering the remoteness of Bagan and the general difficulties hotels have maintaining standards in Myanmar. What was inexcusable was the lack of professionalism by the staff. I had a riverfront villa with a water view, close to the restaurant. The first morning of my stay the staff decided to set up large speakers along the riverfront and blast - not play, blast - Burmese pop songs into the surrounding villas from 6:45 AM until 9 PM at night. I had to repeatedly call the lobby, begging for them to be turned down so I could rest, suffering from food poisoning I got in Mandalay. They promised to help, the music would be turned down for a few minutes, then it would be back to full blast. This was not for the entertainment of diners (not that any guests would have any interest in Burmese pop, which seems to have a repertoire of four sappy songs) - there were none - but totally for the staff's entertainment. Even going to the restaurant staff in person, pleading, begging was useless. The second day was the same story, over again. Total incompetence, arrogance, and inexcusable conduct.

The breakfast at the hotel was, as other reviewers have pointed out, disappointing for a hotel of this scale and reputed calibre. I didn't eat at the restaurant so cannot comment on that. I had an evening flight my last day and so went to the spa to waste two hours on a massage to pass the time. As massages go it was unmemorable, but the spa was at least a cool and quiet place to find some peace, which the rest of the hotel was not.

Whether or not you can find better accommodation in Bagan I cannot say. What I can say is that this establishment, or at least its staff and management, will not, and should not, survive the opening-up of tourism in Myanmar.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank MRF_Singapore
Thande_Group, Owner at Bagan Thande Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Dear studiospotter,

We greatly regret that our services did not meet your needs during your stay at Bagan Thande. Utmost satisfaction of our guests is our uppermost priority, and we sincerely apologise to you that we failed to provide you just that. We are investigating into the matter and disciplinary action will be taken against the employees who are accountable for.

Once again please accept our apologies for the conduct of some of our staff that you personally found inexcusable. This will not happen again—to you or to any other guests.
Should you plan to visit Bagan again, we would like to welcome you to our hotel one more time and we assure you that you will have nothing but the most delightful stay and pleasant memories to take back with you.

Best regards,

Thande Group

Reviewed 27 April 2012

We had a deluxe room overlooking the Irrawady which was great. The hotel had a very small reception area and no indoor seating area to have a pre-dinner drink. Restaurant service and evening food was good although it had a bit of a grubby feel eg the tableclothes seemed to have experienced previous diners! Breakfast was the poorest of all during our tour, no egg station, pieces of cold omelette in the buffet, very limited fresh fruit. We wanted to sit by the pool one afternoon but the small handful of sunbeds/chairs were already taken so this was disappointing.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank lyndam

Dear lyndam,

We are pleased to know that the room and the view were satisfactory for you. However, we are sorry to know that you found the quality of food at breakfast was quite the opposite. We are constantly trying our best to serve the best quality food to our guests. It is our goal to provide the most pleasant dining experience at our restaurant to the guests. We are working on adding an egg station to our breakfast buffet and a few other improvements to it and to the pool area. We regret that these additions and improvements to our hotel did not occur in time for your stay.

We apologise for the few disappointments you had during your stay and sincerely hope that they will turn into a gratifying experience the next time around. We do warmly welcome you again to our hotel and assure you that your next stay with us will exceed your expectations.

Best regards,