“Good choice”

Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Bagan
Manila
“Good choice”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Our friend recommended this place & I double checked the reviews here at Trip Advisor. Turns out our stay here was okay - no problems. May at Reception was very helpful with information of the area. Our room with double bed was only at $65 per night. Hotel keeps this rate all throughout the year - whether peak or low season. They are also concerned with their guests especially foreign tourists. They have a pamphlet on Do's & Dont's for Tourists. There was also a sign in the pool area on how to handle the torrid temperature.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
Nashville, TN
Reviewed 1 June 2014

A nice hotel with very attentive staff. Everyone gets their own little bungalow. Very roomy with old fashioned furniture. The grounds are attractive and well kept. Beautiful tropical setting.

Since this was our honeymoon they covered our floor and bed with flowers and baked us a special heart-shaped cake. A very nice touch.

A few negatives, although not terribly bad, just some things to note about our stay.

We never had any hot water. Normally this would be a problem but since it was well over 100 degrees F. every day (one day 113 degrees!) we didn't miss the hot water. I filled up the tub with room temperature water and thoroughly enjoyed it (even though it was an odd shade of green).

Our fridge didn't work. Now this was a more annoying problem since I would look forward to a nice cold drink after spending the day in the heat. We told the front desk (even a nice guy from Pennsylvania working on an internship) about the problem the first day but it was never fixed or replaced. :-(

The housekeeper would turn off the A/C when she left and when we would return in the afternoon the room would be boiling hot. It would take forever for the A/C to get the room cooled off. So I locked the remote to the A/C in my suitcase the next day and it was nice and cool when we came in. Sorry to have to be a bit devious but it was just so hot.

The food was not very good. Just okay. The first morning we were served breakfast at the beer garden next door (still part of the hotel). All the food was tepid and it was very hot even early in the morning. We sweated through breakfast. There were also a good crop of flies that we had to keep batting away. The rest of the stay they served breakfast in the dining room. Better food and sort of air conditioned. Be sure to sit by a fan.

Sorry to sound so negative because we really did enjoy our stay there. Just wanted to give folks a heads up about a few things.

All in all, not a bad place to stay. Affordable and mostly comfortable. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChefKaren7
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 29 May 2014

we stayed 2 ights in may (low season). bungalows are great. pool are is super and a must in the summer (I cant imagine what to do without it during mid day hours!! in the summer). restaurant was under renewal so no buffet breakfast but they bring us the breakfast to the room, tasty.

the only negative thing were the bikes, not in good condition and more expensive than outside. so just walk 200 meters outside the hotel and u will find bike rentals. no problem!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank traveller g
San Diego CA
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I took the boat from Mandalay on Oct 20, 2013 and stayed here till the 22nd. The grounds and pool are fabulous. The rooms are little bungalows placed around the grounds. Floors are TEAK and the expensive teak outdoor furniture we would pay a fortune for back in the US are on the porches. Rooms very clean as all were in Burma, good size but dark despite windows. The bathroom was quite large. The tub/shower was on like a platform and for unknown reason the shower curtain was placed at the opposite end of the tub from the shower head. I finally changed it to the front as water was getting all over the place. Staff does not speak much English other than "What is your room number? "
There was a safe lockbox at the desk and I left my cash and passport there. Desk staff spoke more English. They did help me book my hotel at Inle. Paid in cash again- brand new never folded US dollars. They had me pay each day for some reason.
I had booked this hotel because a bakery was advertised. Never saw the bakery or any baked goods. The restaurant was very uneven with food. The times I did eat in there I was the only customer- never a good sign. Breakfast normally would have been in there I guess but it was wedding season and the weddings started at 7AM in there. As a result the breakfast was outside and there were a LOT of flies all over everything. Strange foods on the buffet but there were eggs and toast and I was ok with it other than the flies.
The power goes out at certain times during the day- how anyone conducts business there I do not know. I found a great internet place across the street from the hotel and down the block next to the ice cream place. 40 cents per hour and blazing fast. The place the hotel recommended had no power. I did see people with IPads and such at the hotel but I do not have any of that equipment so I had to find internet cafes. Also next to the ice cream place was a storefront "travel agency" and I booked a trip to Mt Popa there for the following day- joined up with another group that was going. Just outside the hotel there are guys with horse carts that will take you to the ruins. I went with the only one there in the AM and he took me all over the place to ruins that were not yet crowded and the spectacular Ananda Paya- worth the whole trip almost to see that. But I forgot where I left my shoes and hobbled all over the place till I found where they were. I recommend you somehow take note of where you enter!
I really enjoyed the pool and the room was pleasant during the daylight. There was some type of Buddhist holiday while I was there and loudspeakers blaring plaintive chants and fireworks all hours of the day and night. Some people had come there just for that celebration but for me it was almost unbearable. Plenty of atmosphere!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Nice hotel although more of a guest house really. Pleasant bungalows situated around a swimming pool and gardens, all nicely lit up at night but could do with more communal sitting areas. Room was large with large bathroom also. Bed was a bit ageing as was most of the furniture.
Staff were friendly and very helpful throughout our stay. Breakfast was included in the room rate and was very good.
Wi-fi didn't really work in the room, had to go and sit in the large reception area to get access.
Perhaps the only down-side is in the evening it is quite a long walk in the dark to "restaurant street" in Nyaung Oo.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel in Nyaung Oo is very nice! The staff is friendly and speaks perfecly English!
The room was huge and very clean. The bathroom was very big aswell. The matt in the bathroom not very clean, but ok...
It's nice after a day to discover the temples Under the heat to be able to have a swim in the refreshing pool.
The breakfast was very good!
A hotel I can only recommend!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The staff at my previous hotel suggested the Hotel Thante. I am very happy they did.

The staff was professional, but not stuck up. The price was fair. The room was large with a armiore and desk combination. Air conditioning that kept up with the heat of the day. Twin beds that are like almst every bed in Southeast Asia, very firm. The room was not new by any means. Maybe built in the mid 1960 (maybe not). Not s much worn as lovingly well used.

The bathroom had what you would expect. Sink toilet and tub/shower. The shower was again a step up higher than the floor to shower and precariously step down onto a tile floor when exiting. Soap and shampoo provided. No hairdryer though. The water is always hot between Six and ten, morning and evening. If you want it hot at a different time the hotel is happy to accomodate you, just ask. When they say hot water, rest assured it is hot, almost too hot.

There is no inroom safe. Instead at the front desk there are bus lockers with a key you keep and then a padalock that the hotel keeps. I felt very secure keeping my cash and other valuables in there. Heck except for the cash, I felt comfortable leaving my laptop and IPhone in the room. Not out in the open but placed out of plain sight was sufficent.

The jewel in the crown of this hotel is it's garden pool area. What an oasis ! Plenty of chase lounges to accomodate everyone. Some full sun, some shaded under the trees. The pool and environs were spotless. Snacks and smoothies were all available to be ordered from the kitchen or bakery next door.

My room was 5.021 and I thought it was perfect for my purposes in thst it had a great veranda that overlooked the pool.

When I arrived I asked for three night and later extended for a fourth. I would have extended for a fifth if the plane schedule to my next destination had been better.

Room Tip: A room around the pool area is a great place to hangout and watch the world go by