Amazing Bagan Resort
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
Motel Zein(Nyaung U)
View Hotel
All reviewsfree bikeslives up to its nametree lined roadpuppet showmain townthai massagefree dinnerclose to the airportswimming pooldirt roadbreakfast buffetegg stationstayed nightslovely poolelectric bikesrestaurant rowtemple hopping
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I picked this hotel based on the good reviews on tripadvisor and agoda but my experience did not come close to living up to the reviews.

It started out good as they were able to get me into my room at around 10AM (5 hours before check in time) but it was all down hill from there. First problem I noticed was the towels smelled very strongly of bleach so I asked for a new set (which also smelled of bleach. I soon figured out that they are heavily bleaching their towels but not properly rinsing them. This was so bad that I had to dry my self of with the camp towel I always have as the hotel towels were irritating my skin.

Second problem I noticed was the few long hairs lying around the room (1 in the shower, 2 in the closet, and a few others). I decided not to say anything about them and see if housekeeping would find them and clean them up, well they did not.

Next issue; the bed sheets was badly stained with what looked like blood. In fact pretty much all the hotel linens (sheets, towels, table cloths, napkins,...) were stained as if they have never replaced anything since they opened. After complaining about the sheets my bed was made with new sheets that only had a few small stains that looked like ink or something like that.

The bed in the room was too old twin mattresses pushed together to make a king bed, this was a bit of a disappointment as I had to pay extra to get a king bed.

Next was the spa. After a long day of exploring the temples and pagodas in the 110f+ heat I needed a massage so booked a herbal oil massage. The massage room was a converted hotel room and was nicely decorated with soft music playing so I thought good start, but it ended there. The masseuse handed me a towel to change into and it felt so oily I did not think it had ever been washed, I demanded a new one and received one that was better though still felt oily. After changing I laid down on the massage bed (not a proper table, just a mattress) and waited for the masseuse to come back. The massage it's self was pretty bad and left me with a headache but the biggest problem was the fact that she used way too much oil and it was not even a good massage oil. I left the massage feeling worse than when I walked in.

OK next on the list, the restaurant. Service here was non existent and multiple times I had to get up and go to the bar to order or pay (this after knocking loudly on my table and waving to the wait staff). The food was not bad, but it was not good either and unfortunately unless you make arrangements for a driver ahead of time it is hard to get anywhere from the hotel as it is isolated. The included breakfast was a small buffet without many choices thought it did have an omelet station with onion, green onion, and pepper as the only ingredients for the omelet. The best thing I had to eat the entire time was my complimentary fruit plate I was supposed to receive every day, but only got on my first day.

Now for what I thought was the last straw. On my last night at the hotel I was preparing for bed at around 10PM when the phone rings. I answer and it is the front desk wanting to know if I need a wake up call, then asking what time I am checking out. This made me feel as if they did not want me in the hotel and could not wait to be rid of me.

Next morning... more problems. As I was getting ready to get into the shower the power went out which was a big problem as the hotel relies on water pumps so no power no water, no water no shower. I know the hotel has a generator so I waited 10 minutes for them to turn it on but it never came on so I called the front desk. I asked "when will the power come back on", they replied "You want some one to come get your bags"
me "No I want power so I can take a shower"
them "We will send someone to get your bags"
me "NO NO there is no power or water in my room"
them "OK someone is coming to get your bags" (hangup)

Well the power did come on 10 minutes later so I was able to get my shower and I really thought this was the worst it could get but they had one more surprise waiting for me.

I checked out and paid then went to eat my breakfast before going to the airport, then on my way out the guy at the front desk stopped me and said you have to pay for the 2 waters from your mini bar. I asked him why they were not on the bill, he said you had them last night and we just checked it. I corrected him and said I had them 3 days ago but no one ever refilled my mini bar, then proceed to explain how a mini bar should be checked/ stocked every day. By this point my level of irritation was almost off the charts and I was doing everything I could do to keep from yelling at the guy.

On second thought I will only give them 2 starts.

I will not stay here again, and DO NOT recommend it.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank erikb1978
Reviewed 28 March 2013

This hotel is so far from Old Bagan that you need a taxi, or bicycle, to go anywhere. Once there one feels the dry climate rather than an oasis. The rooms are large with garden views.

The dining rooms has a cramped feeling for some reason, being broken up by steps and half walls. The terrace outside also feels too closed in considering the hotel is in the middle of a vast property with golf course. They do have an interesting wine selection and breakfast buffet, but the feeling is one of adequacy rather than luxury.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

This is a super nice hotel, with super clean room providing all the amenities, well functioning air conditioning, nice breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff, free wifi, and a very nice swimming pool (although I had no time to use).

It is however quite far away from most places. Guests can use their bikes for free, and its convenient to visit most of the touristy areas, but when it gets dark, the ride from the hotel to the main road seems very long (and bumpy too). As a result I stayed in the hotel for dinner for two nights - which is something I normally do not do when traveling. Fortunately the food is quite ok. They have puppet show in the restaurant at night too.

I also read from elsewhere that the hotel operator is very close to the government. You may want to reconsider staying here if you are concerned.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank McDuen
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed here for three nights at the beginning of our trip in early February . We stayed upstairs in the highrise and found the rooms very roomy bed huge and very comfortable .
The pool was beautiful and cool and great to have a break after going around the temples in the morning . The ground were beautiful and lovely clipped bushes .
We found the front reception manager very a efficient andf perfect English. (not always the case in Myanmar.). He helped us organise with our tour company when there was a hiccup . WIfi in a business office which was handy .
Most of all I appreciated the cleaning staff and quiet location as I was sick one day and left a do not disturb sign on door and they respected that and the place was super quiet except for sound of pigeons fluttering. They had nice touchs like offering mosquitoe spray at night and tamarind lollies .
Restaurant I cannot comment on as I was sick two out of three days ( from Cambodia not Myanmar food .) My husband enjoyed the food and the puppet show was good bonus . I thought the food a little expensive and bland . Breakfast okay .
Regret we did not use bikes and go and eat in the village but I was not up to it .
Would love to stay again as the whole area was fantastic .
Bye the way if you are after a great guide of area we used Ei PAn Myo MIn (BAM BAM )
English speaking lady very sweet and knowlegable and obliging (freelance )
Email- eipanmyomin1@gmail.com

Room Tip: All rooms lovely but people rave about the poolside ones if you want to pay extra .
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Greeted with warm ginger tea, that sets the welcome tone at Amazing Bagan. If you are in need of a place to stop, rest, swim, enjoy the sunshine, this is the venue for you. It is not walking distance from anything of note, and therefore, you will probably take both the breakfast buffet and dinner at the resort. There is a charming puppet show in the dining room in the evening, which in good weather is moved to the plaza outside.
The rooms have whatever you need, including a nightly staff visit offering to spray your room for mosquitoes. We saw no mosquitoes, and therefore refused the service. They gave us tamarind candy, too.
And there are bikes to borrow. A treat. Works for couples and families.

Room Tip: I suspect that all of the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple