“Modern hotel, great breakfast, fantastic location”

The Hotel at Tharabar Gate
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Bagan
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The hotel is clean, modern and tastefully decorated. The rooms are effectively chalets in beautifully manicured gardens. You definitely feel you are staying somewhere exotic.

The breakfast had a large selection of tasty food, and there was no need to go hungry. If you eat your breakfast out in the garden beware the birds that will swoop down and steal the food off your plate if you give them a chance.

The swimming pool looked very clean and inviting, and there always seemed to be sufficient numbers of loungers for guests.

The hotel restaurant looked very expensive, so I didn't dine there. There are several good restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel.

The hotel wifi never properly worked the whole time I was there. You could connect, but nothing would download!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Hotel at Tharabar Gate

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We were greeted when we arrived by smiling faces and a cold refreshing fruit juice. Even though we arrived very early in the morning, check in was no problem and by 9 am we were comfortably ensconced in our room. The rooms were big and comfortable and clean. The only problem was with our aircon and that was fixed soon after we notified the front desk about it. After that it worked perfectly, which was really a necessity in the mid-May heat. The rooms were comfortably furnished,and the safe and TV both worked well. My only complaint is the relatively low number of plugs in the room. Traveling in the 21st century mandates having lots of recharging options and that means having more plugs in a room than they do.

After a very hot day spent walking around the temples in the neighborhood we got back and relaxed at the bar. Very pleasant with smiling service and decent drinks.

If you are looking for advice on how to do things or where to go, don't rely on the staff. They just don't know. WHile I am sure they can arrange taxis, ebikes, bicycles, etc. we found no shortage and did everything at the front gate at what I assume were much lower prices. The lady who runs the bicycle rental business across the street is very pleasant, honest and won't try to rip you off ( unlike the guy with the stand right at the gate to the hotel). We tried all methods of getting around, using bicycles, ebikes, horse and cart and car and driver/guide. She arranged them all for us and the people she got were terrific.

There are a number of good restaurants within a stones throw and we made good use of them. Also the breakfast service was fine and had a good array of food. Its not fancy but it is substantial. The internet service was somewhat sporadic and slow, but it is that way in most of Myanmar so I wouldn't blame the hotel. The deliver as good a service as they can get. There is also an ATM at the front gate but don't count on it working. It only gets filled with cash occasionally so while it might be a nice feature it isn't reliable.

Our experience here was very enjoyable. We met some nice people and were comfortable. I think it is well worth the money.

Room Tip: Stay close to the pool
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Zarilla
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was gorgeous. Location is spot on, right beside the Tharabar Gate and the architecture is gorgeous. Great
Swimming pool and gardens and rooms were spacious and well appointed. Only small downside was that the rooms were looking a little frayed and in need of a spot of modernisation. But I would definitely stay again. Food was good, particularly the buffer breakfast and (surprisingly) pizza

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank LorienHolland
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

I decided to stay at this hotel even though there were mixed reviews. The location is perfect but that is the only thing the hotel is good for. You can actually find other hotels nearby for much less and better service and accomodation. I paid a 145 USD per night and expected to get a nice clean comfortable room. Upon arrival, the hotel from the outside looks nice but you are sadly disappointed once you see the status of the room and swimming pool. The bed was old and extremely uncomfortable. The air con unit was the worst. The bathroom was dirty and the bathtub had mold all over. The swimming pool was so dirty. It is truly a shame that the management does not care about this hotel. It has so much potential. My husband and I are in the hotel business and have traveled a lot. We can honestly say that this hotel is not a good choice. I initially was going to book for three nights but decided to only book for one due to the reviews. I am so happy that I only waisted my money on one night at The Hotel at Tharabar Gate. The second day I moved to Amazing Bagan hotel and I can honestly say that this is a great hotel with good service, nice spacious rooms, clean pool, and beautiful landscape. It is much cheaper than Tharabar gate. I would recommend staying at another hotel in old bagan or just stay at Amazing Bagan and hire a driver or e-bike to travel around. It is easy to get around the sights and restaurants. We came during the hottest time of the year so I hired a driver and we took the free bikes at night from Amazing hotel. Overall, Bagan is a beautiful place.

P.S. You must try Black Bamboo, Wetherspoons and San Kabar restaurant. They are all located in Nyaung Oo. We can also recommend Star Beam Bistro in Old Bagan near Tharabar Gate

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Sonsonian
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in April when it is exceptionally hot. Be warned there is no inside air con dinning, it is all outside, but a lovely atmosphere for candlelight dinners. The food was good, no problems at all. But you are close to other restaurants which are better priced and just as good or better, worth a stroll to explore.
The best bit by far of this hotel was the pool, heavenly! We spent most afternoons and evenings in it or lying next to it. There is definitely a shortage of sun loungers, even though we were there in the off season, so be ready for some serious over crowding in high season.
The room was a delux, it says a garden view but what you really get is a walled in patio. The room itself was huge! Big bathroom.
Unfortunately the facilities provided are getting old; our air con broke down (but partially fixed, continued to drip all night long) the kettle didn't work and there was no wifi in the rooms (only lobby, restaurant and pool) the water pressure is not that great either.
Overall the pool has influenced my score, without it I would have dropped it to poor for the price you pay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Venetiar
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Great location, you are half way to New Bagan and Nyaung-U, great food. Staff professional and friendly. Amazing breakfast at the swimming pool. Rooms are spacious and clean. Wonder why only 3 stars? It is worth at least 4!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AAndreAA75
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel right near the wonderful stupas and temples of Bagan. My room, not far from the pool and restaurant area was comfortable and spacious, nicely decorated and charming. The air conditioning worked very well, considering the jungle heat outdoors. Take advantage of the nice swimming pool.

Stayed: October 2013