“Outside Tagaytay”

Alfonso Hotel
Ranked #61 of 99 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
“Outside Tagaytay”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

It was a last minute booking for me and I really do not know the area but the staff was very helpful even if we called and asked for directions at past 12 midnight already.

We used the Annex Room which is very plain but we didn't mind it not until knowing that the toilet was broken/clogged, annoys me to flush it out manually that's why. It was also air-conditioned but the blanket was very thin.

Will I book this again? maybe for last minute but not on peak seasons! it took us more than an hour just to reach the sky ranch area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissRein

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Malolos City
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I've been to this hotel a couple of times a few years back and was generally satisfied. Not a great experience but their standard room was just fine.

I decided to book again because of the mid year promo. 50% off on the suite. As usual, the staff were attentive and very respectful in dealing with us. The room was really big and had big windows that allowed me to see the clouds and stars - as with the cheaper rooms. There was a bath tub on top of the toilet and bath. The T&B area was so spacious. The resto, Il Gallo Nero, serves very nice Italian food though a bit pricey. What I like most is that the hotel is in a more quiet side of Alfonso rather than in the more crowded parts of Tagaytay.

For the down side - the room especially the T&B area was so dirty when we arrived. The toilet bowl and seat seemed to have traces of urine. The bath tub was new but dusty and had all sorts of grime. The furniture was rundown and could use some vacuum cleaning. We had to ask someone to clean up the room. For a suite room, the amenities were just too basic - soap, shampoo, and towels. I don't know if it's because we got the room on promo rates. There weren't even cups or glasses aside from the ones in the bathroom. We had to call for room service every time we wanted to use some. No hangers for the clothes. My friend and I were both scratching our legs and arms the whole night. We went here to take a break and have a good rest but ended up with poor sleep. I don't know if its bedbugs or mites. My suspicion is that the blankets were not washed well if they were washed at all.

It's a pity as the hotel had beautiful interiors during its early years.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sacredtrails
alfonsohotel, General Manager at Alfonso Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Sacredtrails,

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking your time to leave a review about our hotel.

Alfonso Hotel has three simple principles and they are hands-on management, clean rooms and personalized service. By personalized service, we mean, well-trained staff that can understand and provide care to our guests. We invest a lot of time on the last and are happy to know that the service was adequate. Thank you for commending our restaurant, IL GALLO NERO, which we also manage with the same principle of hands-on management. We were however, concerned about your comment about the rooms since it is our policy to have clean rooms. Upon inspection, we learned that what you thought was a dirty lavatory basin is not, but is actually a stain caused from the water. There is no way of taking that out, but we will still pursue this issue to see what else we can do about it. Regarding the bath tub, we confirmed how dust can accumulate easily. We sincerely apologize for that. We have installed methods to ensure that we have dust-free tubs.

We thank you again, for your input. We will take this opportunity to find ways to improve in areas that we can grow so that we can give a better guest experience to valuable guests, like you.

Travellers are raving about these Tagaytay hotels

Reviewed 9 November 2012

Been here less than a month ago, if not for the friendly and accommodating staffs, my family and i could have checked out after the first day ( I booked in for 3 days). The address of the hotel is rather misleading, since we do not frequently travel to tagaytay, I have no idea that this hotel is already outside the outskirts of tagaytay. Address should have been Alfonso Hotel, Batangas.

By car, you will still have to travel 20 to 30 minutes to reach tagaytay city centers and restaurants.

Re the rooms, I have no particular qualms about the rooms except that I was not prepared nor expecting that in the mornings, the room is so showered with the sun rays. The curtains (not drapes) are so thin you will be awakened by the sunshine all over the entire room. Have had a migraine because of this.

The hotel gate closes at around 11pm at night, you have to open it up yourself should you come in late.

No ref inside the room.Although my reserved room includes a ref supposed to be. Standard is you have to "pakisuyo" your drinks etc that needs to be inside the ref to the lobby attendant and retrieve your goodies by asking them to give it back to you, a little inconvenient I must say.

If you want to enjoy tagaytay, i would not recommend this hotel. The restaurant is good however.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Quezon City
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We were initially aiming to check in at another hotel but since it was already fully booked, they referred us instead to Alfonso's which was nearby. The staff were friendly. We had a choice of getting a deluxe room or a junior suite. We opted for the deluxe room as it was a bit cheaper.

The room we were in was spacious enough. The room was simply furnished but very clean. there was a TV stand, bed stand, a surface to place your things/bags in. The twin beds however were narrow, maybe about 24 inches across. Since we were three in our party, we asked for an extra bed. Of course, we paid extra too. Turns out, it was not a bed, just a mattress. No toiletries were provided. Towels of course, were provided but they smelled kinda funny. Not stinky, but funny. I don't think Alfonso's have a great view of the lake as it's on the wrong side of the ridge. But the room we had had a nice view: rolling hills and houses on the distance.

The free breakfast that came with the stay consisted of what I call konti-nental breakfast. 2 pieces of bread, jam, butter and coffee. you can order a more filling breakfast, but you will have to pay more.

It's an ok hotel for me. But what I hated the most is that the windows/outlet for the bathrooms are open to the hallways. so if you fart while taking a leak, anyone can hear. if you make loud, stinky poo, good luck to you. not that I did that during my stay. lol! and another thing I hated was that there was no wifi in the rooms. you had to go down to the cafe for decent wifi.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
pasig, philippines
Reviewed 30 January 2012

It was very clean accommodation. The kids love it especially if you stay in their suite. Accessible to the Taal Vista lodge, horse back riding and other stuff. The restaurant is one of the best places to eat. The owners are always around. The staff is very helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank cricketabello
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Two weeks ago, we made last-minute plans to go on a road trip to Nasugbu, Batangas and decided that rather than stay overnight in Batangas, we would just make it a day trip and then stay a night in Tagaytay on our way back. Given that it was a four-day weekend, most hotels in Tagaytay were fully booked. Amazingly though, we were able to book in Alfonso Hotel at a promo price at an online booking site.

The hotel looked a bit old and worn but it was kept clean by its friendly staff. As mentioned by a previous reviewer, this is a budget hotel so expectations should be set accordingly. We booked the suite, which apparently meant that it just had a bigger bathroom with a separate shower and bathtub as well as what was supposed to be a dressing room/area. First off, the room was large! Based on the website, the entire room is around 77 square meters or something like that! The bathroom was nearly as large as the bedroom itself. BUT, the room and bathroom were quite sparse: the bedroom had a small kingsized bed, a regular TV, a small "dining area" with a round table and two chairs, a sofa near the door and a personal ref. The floor, both in the bedroom and the bathroom, was tiled.

There was free wifi in the cafe / lobby area, and if you're lucky enough to get a room on that side of the hotel, you can probably grab a bit of that wifi in your room. Unfortunately, our room was on the other side of the hotel and the wifi signal didn't reach that far.

We had dinner in their Italian cafe/restaurant that night. The food was pretty good though a bit overpriced in our opinion.

Again, we booked this hotel simply to have a place to sleep the night after a tiring day in Nasugbu, and it served our purpose. Would we go back? If for the same purpose of simply having a place to sleep in, yes we would. But if we intend to stay in Tagaytay and enjoy the hotel, we would probably go to Taal Vista or some other hotel with better facilities.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank fcgsandoval
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This is my second time staying at this hotel and I enjoyed it a lot. The receptionist/attendant was very gracious, friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious - which is surprising. You won't expect that it would look that way at first impression.

Rooms are clean enough - it's what you'd expect for a 3-star hotel. The reason why my friends and I picked this place is that it's 5 minutes away from Sonya's Garden. So if you plan to visit Sonya's Garden, you might want to stay at this hotel. Great for barkada trips.

Room service was prompt, however the one thing that was a downer during the trip was the fact that their breakfast service at the lounge was terrible. There were only 2 waiters onsite and since the lounge was full, our orders were either incorrect or very late. I ordered for vinegar to go with my longganisa meal, which came 30 minutes later. Same thing happened when 2 of my friends ordered toast. I also was not satisfied with the taste, because it was bland and flavorless. Their "brewed" coffee tasted burnt so I opted for hot chocolate (milo + a packet of white sugar). Horrible breakfast. Since their free breakfast is just toast and coffee for 2 people per room, my advice is, if you want better breakfast - have it somewhere.

The highlight of our foodtrip and hotel stay in Tagaytay was the Il Gallo Nero restaurant. We were supposed to have dinner at Buon Giorno, but because of the heavy rains and fog, we decided to have dinner at the hotel - with their partner Italian restaurant. I say that this restaurant serves the best Italian cuisine I've ever sank my teeth into. My friends and I were so happy that we decided to eat in this restaurant. Lucky that we decided to have an early dinner at 6pm, because come 7pm, the place was packed with people.

Room Tip: DO book 2 weeks in advance before your trip. Use their official hotel website for booking. You can m...