“They're Right! View is nice, but a bit pricey.”

The Lake Hotel Tagaytay
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Tagaytay
Manila
“They're Right! View is nice, but a bit pricey.”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I read just about all the reviews for this place. and decided that it would be ok.

PROs
Good location, near the restos middle of the hi-way.
The View is spectacular.... that is if you get the right room.
service was friendly, and helpful like front desk personnel even the valet and the car attendants.. well they should be given the circumstances.
room size was ok clean, 1 queen and 1 single. brought my 3 yr old kid. and yaya. it had a bath tub which my kid liked.
syaff is courteous front desk janine i think and one of the parking attendants. people were nice.

Cons
-really bad wifi. its true, its non exixtent. and here the front desk werent very helpful!
-Also we booked through an online service. we initially got a cheaper room superior with lake view with view which was one notch below deluxe but higher than standard room, but when we got there decided to get a room with a better view we got a deluxe lake view. sadly they let us upgrade but with a much higher increase back to the regular room rates. after we already paid the online co. the 10% service charge. so we overspent by 10%.
-Parking was a disaster. although they're remodeling it already. they have valet boys who ask you to leave your keys coz the parkings too tight,. its like your in binondo or makati where there are triple parked cars. really bad
-i skipped the breakfast even if its free. ate in the resto around instead.
- slipery floors when wet. but generally my son liked the garden to run around,.
- the halls of the other rooms smelled old already. but my room had good circulation. it felt very fresh.

would i come back? yes. would i look for other hotels to experiment on? yes also. ;)

Room Tip: the deluxe lake view had a good view, i assume foreigners would like waking up to the sight of taal...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Antipolo City, Philippines
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Awesome stay! Will definitely come back! Nice Receptionist and staffs. Fresh air, nice view, nice ambiance, nice room and all! Good food too! Affordable place to stay in when you're in Tagaytay. Thumbs up and keep up the good work! :)

• Stayed July 2012
Antipolo City, Philippines
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Traveling to Tagaytay for the weekend for the nth time, we decided to check out another hotel and booked one online. The Lake Hotel is a very good hotel in a very strategic location that's close to most restaurants and a short travel from other places of interest. Our room was nice and comfy but unfortunately, the WiFi was out (or our room was beyond its range?) so we couldn't access the internet (still essential for us even for weekend breaks). Breakfast is buffet style so there are good choices to start the day. The hotel has an excellent view of Taal Lake and the volcano. Their parking facility is currently under construction and so there are limited spaces.

Room Tip: Our room was in the inner part and though we had a pocket garden for our view, nothing beats a nice...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 24 October 2012

The Lake hotel is situated right on the edge of the Taal Lake caldera, and has great views of the whole lake and volcanic cones. The facility is clean, very well maintained, and furnishings seem relatively new. The layout of the hotel (on a steep hill) with an open main breezeway and lots of glass give the hotel an open feeling. Access to rooms is easy, and many rooms have a view of the lake.

Dinner at the steak restaurant was good, though the bill could not be charged to the room, which was a minor inconvenience; they do offer room service from that restaurant as well. There is a full bar and cafe for other options. There was live piano music in the open breezeway for several hours on the night we were there.

The pool is right off the main breezeway, across from the cafe and front desk, and on the hallway to the rooms. I found it a bit too public to enjoy swimming; but it is a nice infinity pool looking out over the lake.

I would just caution travelers to watch out for the independent contractor used by the hotel for their lake tours, I was not impressed with his business integrity (for example, the tour package we selected includes a guide, but nowhere is it mentioned I had to pay 500 pesos extra for the guide's horse). Just to be clear, the tour operator is not affiliated with the hotel, but the front desk showed me his brochure when I asked for lake tours. If you are at all familiar with the area, I would suggest getting your own tour.

Other than that, the stay and the hotel were a positive experience. Would I stay there again? Maybe, but I would be more tempted to try some of the many other hotels in the area first.

Room Tip: Not all views are created equal - some rooms don't have a view at all, and others only a limited...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fred b
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My husband and I often go to Tagaytay for overnight stays. We usually stay in Taal Vista or Summitridge. But this time we decided to chk out Lake Hotel. We did not receive a warm welcome by the people at the reception as they were chatting amongst themselves. I asked for rates and one of the ladies handed me 2 brochures. One for the promo packages and the other for published rates. As I felt that they did not want to entertain us, we decided to just leave. However, a staff named Aries(not among the people chatting at the reception area) started making a conversation with us, saying that they currently have a 50% off promo.That immediately changed our minds. Aries showed us the standard & superior rooms. The standard room was at the basement & no view at all.We chose the superior room with a small balcony & view of taal volcano.It has 1 queen sized bed and a big washroom.If not because of Aries we could have left and Lake Hotel lost 1 potential customer.Just before we went to sleep at night, my husband noticed that the glass sliding door to the balcony can't be properly closed. We didn't feel secured so I called the front desk to complain.They sent a maintenance guy, but the problem couldn't be fixed.So I asked the front desk lady(I wasn't able to get her name), to find us another room with 1 queen sized bed.She insisted that they only have 2 single beds for the other room. I didn't want to take it coz I've experienced sleeping in two beds pushed together, it wasn't comfortable.I insisted for 1 queen sized bed,same as what we have in the current room.The lady put me on hold.Then I was told that they will just move beds from one room to the other but only a double bed is possible.I asked if they could just move the bed we're using.I was put on hold again.SHe then insisted that is not possible.I then asked to be transferred to a supervisor or manager.After being on hold again, she finally told me that they will just upgrade us to 1 bedroom suite with 1queen sized bed.It was fantastic.They resolved the problem & we're happy that our request was granted.A staff assisted us to the new room and indeed it was a very nice room.We requested for a massage therapist.She was really good! For 600pesos/hr,it was absolutely the best massage ever!In the morning when we woke up, we were stunned by the view.Our whole suite has sliding glass doors all around,even the bedroom and we can see taal lake/volcano from our living room.By the way the suite has a living room with 2 sofas and dining table with 4 chairs.It was really spacious.The room rate came with a free bfast at the cafe.I first requested if we could just have the bfast in our room but the lady I talked to said that it is not possible coz they don't have enough waiters to serve us.Anyway we went to the cafe and had bfast,it wasn't bad at all.It's a complete bfast with soup,salad,toast,coffee/tea,juice and u get to choose between continental,american or filipino bfast.I asked if the fried milkfish/daing na bangus is boneless.The waitress said yes.So that's what I ordered.But when it came, the fish was not definitely not boneless!I told the same waitress about, she apologised & seemed sincere so I did not make anymore fuss about it.It tasted good anyway,just had to be careful of the bones.Overall the stay was fantastic.I could have rated this hotel excellent if not because of the not so warm welcome we got from the staff at the reception counter.I recommend that you book a room with a view and not miss the massage!By the way, before I forget, just want to say I was impressed by how clean the rooms and how fresh and white the linens are,especially the bath towels.Also they are having renovations right now but there's not too much noise, you would not be bothered in your rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NinaVET
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We went there at around 10 in the morning but was told that we can chack in only by 1PM so we decided to explore (for the nth time) tagaytay first.

By 1 in the afternoon, we checked in at the Lake Hotel. We got the Deluxe Lake View Room to have a better view of the Taal volcano. Located on the 3rd floor of the building, the room was actually big and spacious for two as it has 1 queen size and 1 single bed, with its own private veranda. The only thing that my boyfriend did not like is the orthopaedic queen size bed. It was uncomfortable for him because at that time he had a back pain (old age!).

Like a typical hotel, bell boy will assist you in checking in your room. You also get some privacy here since there are only more or less 30 rooms in total. There is also a pool for kids. I just don’t know if it’s heated, since we have not tried swimming during our stay. Half of the pool has cover, while the other half has none, so you have the option either to get tanned or hide from the heat of the sun.

Bathroom was spacious, with bath tub. There’s even a glass window with curtain, perfect for couples, and also gives you the option to have privacy if you are with others.

Location wise, it is superb as it is just along the highway. It’s easily accessible to restaurants and Lourdes church, if you go there on weekends.

The next day, we ate breakfast (well, I actually forced him to eat breakfast! :p). The view from their café early in the morning was stunning! We’ve been to Tagaytay for a lot of times but we decided to check in at the Lake Hotel because of its majestic view of the Taal. The weather was cold, perfect to escape the burning heat in Manila.

Breakfast was not that impressive, not much variety of food, but good enough to make your tummy full.

Room Tip: Deluxe Lake View Room (located at the 3rd floor) to have a better view of the Taal volcano, but if y...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bernadette_Ruiz
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I obsessively poured over the reviews of all the listed hotels in Tagaytay on this and other websites because I wanted my honeymoon to be a memorable experience for all the right reasons. Reading the negative reviews very closely and weighing the complaints vs. expectations of the reviewers, I finally reluctantly decided to make our reservations for The Lake Hotel. I must say I was overall very pleased with this hotel. The service provided by the staff was very efficient, professional and competent. From the overseas calls I made to confirm changes in reservation requests to the concierge, breakfast, laundry and maid services, every part of our stay was handled in the most professional and competent manner. The room was clean and well kept. The lobby and breakfast area was beautiful. The pool was nice, although I can understand why some reviewers may not have liked the location. The driveway does need to be re-paved. They do have crumbly old tiles on the ground that could be a safety concern for some people, but the hotel guards more than made up for it by aiding in our parking and escorting us to and from the hotel holding umbrellas over us when it rained. And boy did it rain! We went in September and it is the rainy season so it is to be expected but there is a dampness problem with the lobby and with the flooring being marble it was very slick. I was suprised nobody fell while we were there. The view of the Taal is amazing and a wonderful sight to wake up to. The place is still under construction so if you are expecting perfection maybe wait 2 years and I am sure it will meet your expectations. I have been to the Philippines a number of times and have stayed in every where from 20 dollar a night hotels to 300 dollar a night hotels and have learned not to view these places with the same expectations I would have for an American hotel, but I must say The Lake Hotel exceeded my expectations for a hotel in the Philippines and would be easily comparable to a legitmate 4 star hotel in the U.S. My wife and I will come back here to stay the next time we are in Tagaytay for sure. I am sure when the construction is finalized it will be an even more memorable experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple