“Cozy quiet place”

Potter's Ridge Hotel
Ranked #10 of 104 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Nice place if you want some peace & quiet. It has the "Tagaytay" feel when you enter the main lobby area. Cool, breezy, cozy.
Basic room amenities. Cozy bed, good view.
The owner Marissa Potter was very accommodating. We booked the standard room, which was really small however when she saw that we brought our 8-yr-old son, she recommended that we get the Deluxe room instead. A bit more pricey especially since we had to pay additional P600+ for an extra cot.

I love hanging out at their restaurant. Very nice interiors.
The place is a bit too far from where everything is like restaurants & coffee shops. We had to traverse through traffic every time we had to leave the hotel. Be ready for a long ride. Not bad though if you just plan to stay in & relax inside your room.
If you're a bit smell-sensitive, be sure to check the smell coming out from the bathroom drain before you decide to get the room. There are new and nice places to stay near the town-proper for the same price. Also make sure you don't mind going up & down the stairs. Although some rooms are on the ground floor, most of them are 2-3 floors down.
But overall, it was a good experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Pottersridge, General Manager at Potter's Ridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

We thank our valuable guest for taking the time to put in a review at Tripadvisor.

We do appreciate the insightful and kind comments. Thank you, too, for bringing up the areas that need improvement. We already have addressed the smell in the bathroom that you have experienced and do apologize that your stay was marred by that experience. We are glad though that apart from that, your over all experience was good.

We hope that in the future, you will give us a chance to be of service to you again and will ensure that your stay with us will make you truly happy

We wish you the best.

Reviewed 10 January 2013

My friends and I often travel around the Philippines. We usually go out of Manila practically every week either to the beach in Calatagan or in San Juan Batangas or in Punta Fuego Nasugbu. Potter's Ridge was recommended by friends of our friends because they enjoyed their stay there. We booked a Superior room and there were three of us. Since it was a peak season, we didnt expect to get a discount. However, we were surprised to have been given one because they waived the extra person charge (we were three in the room). The Manager also sent us a complimentary Tarragon tea which was refreshing since we were all tired and checked in rather late. We all slept like a baby. The weather was so cool. Come breakfast time, we were really pleasantly surprised to have our complimentary breakfast in their top floor restaurant that absolutely showcased the beautiful scenery. No doubt that the view of this hotel is their selling point. The restaurant is like a lounge as well, very cozy. We took a lot of photos before we left for the nearby beach resort. One little drawback was that their Wifi worked only in the hallways and was very strong at the restaurant. Over all, the staff was so nice and helpful, there is hardly anything to complain about. We will definitely recommend this to our friends.

Room Tip: Ask them for a free pass to the nearby resort where you cold play gold or swim.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael M
Pottersridge, Manager at Potter's Ridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings.

We appreciate your taking the time to give us a wonderful and detailed review. It's also nice to know that you and your friends had a great time at our hotel during your stay.

We are so glad that you got what you came for: enjoyment and relaxation. We are happy to know that you and your friends were able to reconnect and bond together memorably at our hotel.

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again.

Sincerely yours,
Santi

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I thank the staff and management of Potter's Ridge Hotel for a really nice time during Xmas and New Year. My family and relatives had threes rooms altogether and we stayed there longer than expected. Santi and Marissa, the Managers were there and entertained us so well. Our rooms were very cozy and romantic. I asked them where they got the mattresses for the Deluxe rooms we slept in because I'm a physical therapist in the USA and they were comfortable to sleep in. They were local orthopedic made mattresses. They also have the best desserts made by Silver, their Chef. He made a cake for my child who celebrated her birthday there. My kid had a great time at Splendido country club swimming most of the time. We loved our stay. I wish them all the best.

Room Tip: Stay at the deluxe rooms with a view. Their other deluxe rooms have no view but are bigger. They hav...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank marvin g
Pottersridge, Manager at Potter's Ridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, I hope all is well with you and your family.

Thank you for taking the time to put in your review on our hotel. It means a lot to me and our staff. The Christmas season was an extremely busy but happy time for our hotel and naturally, our staff members were working double time and hard to ensure that everything was in order. Needless to say, your very encouraging and positive feedback makes all our effort worthwhile.

Thank you as well for mentioning the good amenities that we have especially on our mattresses and our most popular feature, our view. We wish you and your family the best and thank you once again for choosing to stay with us.

We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Sincerely yours,
Santi

Reviewed 17 December 2012

My friend and I checked in at Potter's Ridge for an overnight stay last weekend. The name seemed pretty homey and had a country feel to it. Photos on the web seemed nice enough. Plus we were attending a wedding in the area and the hotel was fully-booked with guests from the bridal party so it was the most obvious choice.

When we made the booking three weeks and a few days before the check-in date, we were told that there were only two Standard Rooms left. So we booked one for Php 3,800. Since I was part of the bridal party, we asked if we could have the room at the same rate given to the group. We weren't given the group rate since the bridal party group bookings were supposed to have been fulfilled with payments settled two days before we called. It was quite understandable given that they had deadlines and protocols to follow. While we weren't given the group rate, we were awarded a discount and got the room at Php 3,500 instead of Php 3,800.

Although we were grateful for the discount we still didn't think we got value for our money. Our room was pretty disappointing and looked nothing like the photos. There was a lamp on the sidetable, but no outlet nearby to plug it in. The TV was black and white- who uses those these days?! If you turned on the shower, the lights would flicker then dim- not enough power to support the water heater perhaps. We killed 3 bugs that evening. The bed was all lumpy and tilted weirdly. The pillows were hard and way too high. I could go on and on about the room and the room amenities.

What really irked me off was when breakfast was served in the morning. My friend and I were rushing to get dressed and decided the night before to have our breakfast in the room so we can eat while preparing. We were both girls and we needed a lot of time to get dressed for the wedding. We wanted to call for room service so we could advise them that we were ready to have the food served only we had no idea which number to call. There was no phone listing or directory anywhere. It is a hotel standard to at least have one by the phone. I saw a room service guy in the corridors and asked which number to call. 804 for Room Service. 802 for Housekeeping and 80something for something else. Nice. Like that was something we'd know.

When our food was served (we ordered two omelettes with toast on the side), the Room Service boy forgot to bring napkins (which is supposed to have been a standard in serving food right?). No ketchup or salt or pepper- though that's pretty forgivable. Oh, and did I mention that both omelettes were raw on the inside. Yup. No butter on the toast or at least on the side for the toast. Oh wait, I can't even call the bread toast since it wasn't at all toasted.

I didn't get a good night's sleep and was served uncooked breakfast. So not worth the Php 3,500 we paid. Oh one last thing, their website advertised the room to be at Php 3,400 only during peak season and that was also the rate published in the brochure displayed at the front desk. I don't dee why we had to be charged Php 3,500 when the rack rate was at Php 3,400. Regardless of the high-occupancy, our booking should have been considered as part of the group package. We were part of the reason for the high-occupancy and should not have been charged higher than the rack rate. I'm not even after being given the group rate. I just think it would have been fair if they charged us the rack rate instead.

Scratch that. Php 3,400 isn't even what I would have paid for that dismal experience. It still would not have been worth it.

Don't waste your money on this hotel. They have a lot to learn about customer service and improving their amenities. Even the ones you talk to on the phone regarding bookings need to undergo training.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank natalia518
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I had good expectations going to Potters Ridge because i read up on the reviews prior our trip but i was disappointed in the end. i should have given more weight to the negative review of the place...

the staff are courteous enough and as helpful to the extent they can accommodate but the facilities deficiencies are hard to make up for.

Don't bother with their standard room which feels and looks like service quarters. upgrade to the deluxe rooms (which at least has nicer beds and rustic feel) for a minimal difference in price.
* bed tends to be musty
* the TV is ancient with a screen smaller than a laptop's (in the standard room)
* No cable TV, they have knock off dvds you can borrow from the front desk
* No wi-fi in the rooms
* the AC is an old standard window type and quite noisy
* bathrooms are basic and the water heaters don't work too well
* the walls are paper thin and sound bounces around the halls (hence the numerous signs to observe silence)
* menu choices are limited and is served cold (please note there is no breakfast buffet). pricing is a bit high for the quality of food they put out (subjective observation). you'd do better to just eat out.
* the "free passes" to the nearby country club is actually just a discount pass.
* the personnel are very friendly but could do better with a bit more training

Other than the view, the place doesn't offer much.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the lake have the best views. don't get the standard room. it's 4 flights of st...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank stitch81
Reviewed 23 November 2012

We have been visiting Potter's regularly for nearly 3 years now. I guess we come back because of the following: The price is friendly and there is breakfast which is pretty heavy if you'd like to skip lunch. The service is very good. staff members and even the owners are always at hand to help and they're very humble. Noticeably, over time, they have put in more improvements in the rooms. Yet their prices remain very friendly. We enjoy looking at the art work spread all over the building. I guess, the owner enjoys sharing them with her guest. The free pass to a country club next door with its excellent facilities make up for the lack of in house facilities like swimming pool, children's play room, bowling, golf etc. Consistently, the ambiance, architecture and the view make for a very cozy and relaxing stay. We feel welcome all the time and the rustic blend of hospitality is a welcome treat for city folks like us. I have recommended this place to my friends. I hope they could buy an elevator soon because going down three floors from the lobby and four floors from the restaurant is a challenge for those who are not physically fit to climb stairs up and down. It's a no fuss-no frills hotel so don't look for five star hotel standard. But if you're looking for coziness and relaxation, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk for a free day pass to the nice resort next door to them. It's called Splendi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Benjamin S
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have been passing by this hotel for some time and frankly, I expected more from it. We arrived earlier than check-in time and asked if we could already use the room since they told us it was empty. Whenever we travel abroad, the hotels usually allow us to use the room earlier if the room is already available, but unfortunately they have a very strict policy about not allowing early check in. The view is great and the room comfortable but the bathroom was not as clean as I would have wanted it to be. There were stains and molds that could have been easily cleaned if maintenance was better. We had a very nice free breakfast with a view of the lake and the staff were quite nice.

Room Tip: of course the rooms with a view are the best!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple