“Great stay but too pricey”

The Inn at Cliffhouse Tagaytay
Ranked #1 of 103 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Great overnight stay but too pricey! Service is customized and great, the staff even writes you a letter literally which means by "hand". First time I have experienced such customized service. Location is the best! Everything is okay but the price is just too high.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jefferson T

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The rooms are classy, MY fiance and I enjoyed our stay here last Valentines Day, the view of Taal Volcano is one of the great reason why we enjoy our stay. The service of the staffs were also remarkable. We plan to come back again with our friends so they can also experience Tagaytay City.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sophie A
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very nice place!, me and my family had a pleasant stay. Highly recommended! This is the best Inn that we have for an overnight stay. The area is so peaceful and quiet. Fabulous view overlooking Taal Volcano!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank goist1977
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed here recently and the service was excellent! Very well thought out.

I really like the handwritten notes from the innkeeper. Those nice little things with a personal touch make all the difference in the overall experience.

The staff took care of us really well, we felt so pampered. At some point, it almost seemed like a spa resort.

The room given to us was also quite huge and wonderfully designed. Elegant and classy. It gives you a feeling of being in a different country. And the views from our room was breathtaking!

Really Loved every moment of it.

I highly recommend this place to newly weds, retired couples who simply want to relax or reflect, family and friends who want to bond, or even to writers or novelists who need to focus and be surrounded by beauty, peace and quiet.

Bonus: the 3 course breakfast was fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Abi S
Reviewed 30 May 2013

This is the best Inn that we have for an overnight stay. The area is so peaceful and quiet. You can really sleep well and enjoy the view with your special someone. There are restaurant within the compound so starving is not really a big issue.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mhik30
Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Inn at Cliffhouse
A secret destination in Tagaytay, so secret we drove past three times before we found it, but that's the way owner Jennifer Dee likes it: discreetly tucked away behind an unassuming entrance just off the main road.
We had been meaning to visit since we first arrived in Manila, but somehow the time was never right. With the kids away, though, the parents got to play...
Jennifer Dee and her family have created an attractive and appealing oasis, a world away from the endless traffic jams, noise and pollution along the General Emilio Aguinaldo Highway. Take the steps from the tree-lined car park down to the small plaza nestled on the edge of the cliff. Then walk along a winding path through the trees to the terrace on the southern ridge above Lake Taal. The view is spectacular, overlooking lake and island, volcano and forest reserve, not to mention the glorious new Ferris Wheel that lights up at night like a fireworks display to the west.
Opened in November 2009, Cliffhouse is a haven of calm even when it is swarming with weekend visitors. Many of the original trees on the property have been retained and incorporated into the pretty landscaped gardens in the centre of the complex, which are lit up in the evenings by coloured lanterns hanging from the trees.
Cliffhouse has been built in the style of America’s eastern seaboard, with white weatherboard shop fronts. The complex contains a choice of four home grown restaurants: the Italian restaurant ‘Buon Giorno’; the Filipino ‘Café Platito’; a Café Breton crêperie, and the Fire Lake Grill. There are also three ice-cream vendors and a couple of gift shops.
And then, hidden away from the madding crowd like hobbit holes, are four elegant suites named after four North American lighthouses: Minet’s Ledge; Mantouk Point; Brant Point and West Queddy. Each has a private terrace, two with outdoor Jacuzzis, and a view to send you into raptures. The rooms have been beautifully appointed: a decided flavour of coastal New England blended with contemporary five star luxury, each room decorated in different styles and colours.
Every suite has two premium queen beds, with feather pillows, feather mattresses and fine cotton linen that ensured us a blissfully comfortable and luxurious night’s sleep. There is a shower big enough for the whole family, complimentary wireless internet access, a spacious sitting room and lots of little treats.
Our personalized menu at breakfast was a lovely touch, although a three course breakfast was more than I could face so early in the day, and I think we both would have preferred either a simple eggs-and-bacon arrangement or toast and honey, but the cozy nook we had overlooking the garden was peaceful until the sightseers arrived. Then we simply retired to our private terrace to soak up the view on our own, and dabble in the Jacuzzi.
Most of the reviews I read online were highly complementary about the Cliffhouse Inn, and I definitely agree with them about this tiny slice of heaven with a view to die for, but I would also agree with those who suggest it is not a great place for children. It is, however, perfect for a romantic getaway.
We enjoyed a delicious dinner on the terrace at the Fire Lake Grill, cool breezes whispering around us, a far cry from the humid mugginess we had left behind in Makati. When we returned to our room, the bed had been turned down, a small soft toy lay on the pillow, and a handwritten note from the manager wished us pleasant dreams and a happy anniversary. It was a weekend full of these thoughtful touches that made us feel both special and important, as we sipped our champagne in the Jacuzzi!
This boutique hotel is a charming, indulgent hideaway, a gentle escape from the endless hustle and bustle of Manila. It doesn’t come cheap, but for a special occasion, I thought it was worth every peso. You will come home feeling thoroughly rested and pampered. And of course, if you prefer a little more activity, it is a great base for exploring Tagaytay. For us, simply in need of rest and relaxation after a hectic term, and a little romance for our anniversary, there was no call to move from the terrace. So we didn’t.

Room Tip: Get a room with a jacuzzi!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Alexandra G
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Last week, after a really busy, hectic, whirlwind that was March - April, I impulsively decided to do a road trip to Tagaytay and take an overnight breather at The Inn at Cliffouse. Luckily, their rooms were not booked as it was in the middle of the workweek. I was able to book the Minot's Ledge room.

The Minot's Ledge is elegantly designed in black and white with the touches of toile being my favorite. This is the opposite corner room to where I stayed before. The view from the deck was of course still lovely. As a bonus, the balcony felt even more private and secluded in this room.

The elegance of The Inn at Cliffhouse along with the amply-spaced, well-appointed rooms and the personal touches in the service have been established not just in my previous review but in many other reviews from what i've been reading. I am glad to say the premises have been maintained very well.

In this trip though, The Inn served as the perfect cocooning reward after a busy stretch at work. The quiet was what exactly what I needed. The plush, comfy bed and the equally comfortable sofa were like sanctuaries for my reading. It was like being in your dream home away from home.

That night, with news of the meteor shower, I fired up the jacuzzi, took a carafe of ice cold water (provided by housekeeping) out to the balcony and tried to wait for the shooting stars. Alas, the moon was out and bright so no meteor shower. But... I was in my private jacuzzi (for that night at least), bathing in the light of the glorious moon that cast a glow on the lake across as well. It's like the shooting stars granted all my wishes already anyway.

The other thing The Inn at Cliffhouse specializes in is breakfast that is truly worth getting up for! The triple berry yogurt parfait was wonderful. The coffee, perfectly strong. The seating cozy and very Merchant Ivory in feel. I could have sat there all day long taking my time eating the three course breakfast so I wouldn't have to leave.

Oh and special mention of the lovely lavender scented soaps provided in the room by Matiz.

After breakfast, there was still some time to enjoy the room. I was delighted to find a yoga mat provided in the closet. I laid it out on the balcony under the blazing heat of the sun. Then i figured... I think i'll just go back to bed :-)

One of the most restful, comfortable evenings you can spend is just waiting for you in The Inn at Cliffhouse.

Room Tip: For privacy and seclusion, consider Minot's Ledge. I took a peep at other rooms too and loved t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo