“A day trip to Tagaytay... just because.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Theodore Hotel

The Theodore Hotel
Ranked #5 of 97 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“A day trip to Tagaytay... just because.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

We were just old friends trying to find a change of scene from the hustle and bustle of Manila, so we set off to Tagaytay on a weekday starting off from Greenhills before the morning office rush. We meet some other friends at the Petron station along the expressway to convoy our way to Tagaytay with no definite destination.
There were suggestions from all six of us, until we decided to check out a new place called The Theodore. We had no great expectations, we just wanted to have a nice place, with a great view and friendly surroundings. We were pleasantly surprised by the quaint and cozy boutique hotel. We first perched ourselves by the gazebo with some welcome drinks and some girl talk. Then after, we were toured around the theme rooms that were artistically tasteful.
We were lucky enough to meet the owners who were there that day to visit the property. They joined us for lunch in the main dining area, which felt like home. The food was like home cooked meals and the host were most gracious, it felt like we were visiting old friends. Unfortunately, the day ended abruptly since we were trying to avoid the afternoon traffic rush back to Manila; but we left feeling refreshed and contented. Not only do we have a refuge the next time we decide to take a midweek break, but we gained new friends!
The Theodore is a definite thumbs up, check it out!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank JuneSauer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2011

the place looks great from the outside, the lobby & the location.
but the room we were assigned to was disappointing, at the rate we paid, we were expecting it to be a real nice place but the room has a very foul smell which we thought was coming from the vents and or the sheets or the throw pillows. plus if you order room service, they would charge u extra for the delivery on top of the really expensive meal...

the only thing good about the place was the breakfast and the mini facial.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank myafernandez
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

The Theodore was recommended by my sister who discovered the newly opened hotel. It had a soft opening last September 2010 and a formal opening 3 months after. It is situated along the main highway right beside The Boutique Hotel with an unobstructed view of the Taal Volcano.

Unfortunately we were offered Room 1, a Superior Room and also known as The Cherry Blossoms Room. It is the only room located along the short hallway on the ground floor between the lobby and the dining area beside the garden. With 2 double beds and a sofa bed, it comfortably accommodated my family of 3 adults and 2 kids. The room is spacious and cozy but not enough lighting.

Overall the boutique hotel is a beautiful addition to the expanding range of hotels in Tagaytay. However, if you are a light sleeper, STAY AWAY FROM ROOM 1! We were already asleep when suddenly a big group of inconsiderate people frolicked at the lobby. They were talking loudly and laughing their hearts out at quarter to midnight (later I found out they were friends of the owner)! This went on for almost 10 minutes! My wife and I would normally tolerate this kind of rudeness but I just had to call the front office desk and complain when my daughter finally woke up. A few minutes later the noise died down and at last peace and quiet... until I realized you can also hear the vehicles passing along the highway when it's really quiet. One reason is because half of the wall where the TV is located is made of frosted glass (noise can easily penetrate)... and on the other side is the front office. A blackout curtain is installed but the light outside seeps along the sides and creates a dimlight effect in the bedroom. I do not understand why anyone would design a room this way. Aesthetics over comfort?

I will definitely come back and stay at The Theodore again with my family and next time I'll make sure to be booked on the upper floors facing Taal Volcano. But if you're visiting Tagaytay with only a partner and do not mind splurging a bit more then I would highly recommend The Discovery Country Suites.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank PickyTraveller555
Meycauayan City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

The Hotel is situated strategically on the road that leads to One Destination, Mushroom Burger, People's Park and Good Shepherd Convent. It is also near the Rotonda.

We were greeted with smiles and their sweet welcome drinks. After formalities/paperwork has been done, we were guided to our room. The room we selected is the Cherry Blossoms Room (Superior Room). The room looked exactly as it was described in their website. The room is big enough to accommodate 4-5 people (Daybed is big enough to accommodate extra). It was clean and chic.

The hotel has charm in every part and floor. Their staff is friendly, prompt and attentive to your every need. Their welcome facial massage was relaxing and perfect to end the day (if you went out the whole day to explore more of Tagaytay). They have group games such as Ice Breakers and boardgames if you decide to chill with friends in their garden.

Their complimentary breakfast also includes coffee and fruit juice. You are given the chance to select from their choice of breakfast meals. The meal is big enough for one person and is delicious.

Though the whole place is small compared to other resorts, they make up for their excellent service. One suggestion that they could do is connect or link with other establishments (sights, tours, outdoor activities etc.). In that way, visitors have other activities that they can do while they're staying in the hotel.

From the very first step up to the last, my description of the hotel has been charming. I'll definitely recommend it to friends who are looking for a chic yet cozy place to stay in Tagaytay

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Scorpionflare
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2010

This is the first time I'm posting in tripadvisor! I figure this one deserves a good review.

I was so happy we stayed at Theodore's because it really felt like we were on vacation, their service was excellent! They were trained very well! Keep it up!

Staying here also felt intimate because of their personalized touches and there aren't lots of noisy people. It was such a relaxing weekend for us! We also got to use/ drink at their cabana, what a way to cap off the night!

We stayed at the modern filipino room, it's something different from the usual so it's great!
The New york hotel looks nice too although it's the more expensive one!

We also got complimentary body massages for 2 so it was super worth it!

All in all, we would love to go back there again!

Thanks Theodore's!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winkdiaze
Brooks, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2010

My family and I had a vacation in Tagaytay City last October of this year. Good thing I was able to find this new hotel and guess what? I was able to avail of their soft opening promo, and it was really a great deal.

The Theodore Hotel is a new boutique hotel in Tagaytay City, easy to find and it’s just in the right place.

Anyway, they gladly arranged our transportation from Manila Airport (International & Domestic) and went directly to Enchanted Kingdom in Laguna as my nephews would love to try the rides. After we went to the hotel and they offered us welcome drinks and it was very refreshing, while my sister filled-up the registration form.

They assist us to the room and it was very big and spacious and I totally love the sofa (I could sleep here ). The kids went directly to the bed and I could see that they also love the place. The other room was nicely done too and they told us that each room has different themes. We’re staying in W Room and Modern Filipino Room.

My brother-in-law had a 30-minute back massage, and they told us that they are offering the massage only this time that they are having their promo. He said that it was very relaxing and very good.

They only serve plated breakfast and at that time they had it at the view deck and the scenery was just awesome. It was kind of cold at that time but it was alright, we love it. Yummy to look at and when you taste it …. super delicious (even if it’s just breakfast).

Over-all stay at The Theodore Hotel was A+, totally great. We enjoyed so much the bed, the room, my nephew enjoyed the bathtub, the place everything, even the staff who were so nice and very polite. We will truly be back at The Theodore Hotel. Thank you for making our stay wonderful.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank roamerT
Mandaluyong, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

For my friends and I, Tagaytay is a favorite choice for a quick respite from daily stress. This time, however, we found a brand new getaway which we consider PERFECT – The Theodore Hotel, right by the ridge and very close to the Rotonda.

Still soft-open, we grabbed the chance to avail of their Introductory Promo.
We were fortunate as they only limit the number of rooms to be offered this promo.

Immediately on arrival at The Theodore, what greeted us made us forget all the problems and stress we left behind just minutes before.

The décor is artsy but still homey. We stayed in the room with the Japanese design theme. It was spacious, elegantly designed and complete with everything for a luxurious and comfortable experience: from the bed, complete room amenities, and a full array of bath amenities.

We didn’t waste time to ask the cheerful Guest Services staff Leo to show us to the other rooms which were available at that time, as we learned that each of the ten rooms in this boutique hotel have their own unique design theme. Wow- we started planning right away which one we shall reserve for in our next visit, and the next, and the next.

Past the corridor and patio near our room is a lush garden overlooking Taal Lake. However, if it’s an unparalleled view of the greenery and the clouds rolling by below (yes, below!) then the view deck on the roof gives a clear and unhindered visual of the volcano within the lake. You can even ask to have breakfast served on the view deck to enjoy the gentle morning rays. They also have a small conference room on the view deck, but who can think of work when one can rather lay back, live, and quietly enjoy life?

What made our stay perfect was that the hotel’s palpable philosophy of ensuring pampered satisfaction from check-in, to housekeeping, to food service.

We ordered dinner and we were served different approaches to comfort food highlighting fresh ingredients that Tagaytay and its environs is known for such as great beef, crisp salad and home-made bread to-die-for.

To complete our successful de-stress experience, we booked for a facial and massage. The Theodore’s uniqueness is seen also in the signature spa product line that they use -from the Guinot Institute France. Later I found out that Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Aniston swear by these products, then it’s good enough for me!

The therapist and aesthetician were very professional and highly skilled. All the kinks in my back which had been bothering me for months were melted away beneath their deft fingers, palms, knuckles, and I swear I think they used their knees at some point of my deep tissue massage. It was indeed a highlight.

The thought of having to go back to the City almost made the headaches and back pains return instantaneously, but hey, whenever I get stressed out enough, my friends and I know that there will always be The Theodore a quick drive away for another unique but sweet, carefree escape from a weary, worrisome world.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends