“My hubby and I loved this boutique hotel -- we plan to return, perhaps even with all our kids next time!”

Discovery Country Suites
Ranked #5 of 25 Hotels in Tagaytay
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Last May 21, my husband and I attended a wedding at Tagaytay. We decided to stay overnight at Discovery Country Suites, staying at the Ceylon Room. We loved our stay there!

The manager, Eric, was very personable and accommodating. We liked the "small touches" that has left a good, lasting impression on us, like the warm milk and cookies left in our room (as midnight snack) upon our return from the wedding. The complimentary breakfast for two at the Miele Guide - recommended Verbena Restaurant was also substantial -- and yummy! Too bad we were not around for the cheese tasting, since we were at the wedding at that time. I'm sure it would have enhanced our positive experience even more.

We definitely plan to return, hopefully with all our kids!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyMommy05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We got the Ceylon room. Size is good for a couple Food is very excellent; service is personalized and excellent. I just wish they have more extensive cheese and wine selection Room was very clean. The only thing I don't like is that the room doesn't have a good view of Taal lake. Overall, I'd recommend to friends, but kinda too pricey. Best to book a stay via Deal Grocer.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank aids000
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 6 May 2011

I was scheduled to do a major presentation to about 300 people and I had not done any writing. So I wanted to get away to a quiet place for at least three days. I chose Discovery Country Suites in Tagaytay though I knew they were a bit on the high end, for me at least. I got one of their entry level rooms (there are only 5 - 6 rooms) which had a Japanese theme (Nara Room). They promised wifi but since it was not working they decided to upgrade me to the best room in the house.

I was there Tuesday - Friday so I practically had the whole house to myself. It was one of the most restful and quiet times for me. The Discovery Country Suites was actually a house that has been turned into a inn and so it retains a charming, quaint atmosphere. The service is excellent. There is a sense of pampering without being overbearing. Their restaurant, Verbana serves the most excellent food I have tasted. They use fresh ingredients and they don't cut corners.

In the afternoons from 5 - 6 they have wine tasting. Since its free, the wines aren't the best quality but I was happy with it anyway.They have little touches that made my stay memorable. They had fresh flowers arranged with fresh tomatoes on the tables. They can improve on the maintenance of the house but I think that's a small matter compared to the wonderful experience I had.

I was able to finish 1/2 of my presentation and best of all I got a lot of rest and a lot of peace. I will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank 64elf
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I have to hand it to Discovery Country Suites -- with what we asked of them, they did the best one could ever expect from a service establishment.

One Saturday afternoon, my sister walked into this hotel and asked if she could have her wedding there the following Saturday (ceremony and reception). They said yes. The availability of the hotel was a miracle -- Discovery hosts lots of weddings -- but the way that they handled the wedding was something they could definitely take credit for: flawlessly executed -- all the things they promised to deliver were delivered -- the garden wedding set up, the set up for the reception in Verbena, the hotel's restaurant. This place is highly recommended for a small wedding, given that the place is pretty compact.

The rooms, however, are big and beautiful. Try to stay at the Nantucket -- one king sized bed, one queen sized bed and one day bed. When travelling with family, and if you don't mind staying in one room, this is the perfect place to go -- facing the lake so it's quiet and right beside the common area armoire with books and DVDs!

If you love Discovery Hotel buffets, it's not available here. Given the small size of the hotel it would not make money sense to have a buffet. But the breakfast is still good with refills of bread, fruit juices, coffee and chocolate.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jen L
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I have in the past wanted to try out this place but I am not willing to fork out Php10K for an overnight stay. Grabbed the chance to try out this place when they offered a deal in the deal grocer site. I wanted to find out for myself if it is worth the exorbitant price tag that they charge for an overnight stay.

Staff- This boutique hotel only has 7 suites so I had high expectations on the service. I was not disappointed. Upon arriving, helpful staff will be by you side to offer assistance with you luggage. As checking in was a breeze, our welcome drinks were brought to our room. The staff were consistently friendly, helpful and courteous. All requests were promptly acted on.

Room – We stayed in Andalucia room. The room had large windows that allow light to get in giving it open, airy feel. View isn’t that great. The view from one of the windows is the main road while the other window will provide a view of the lake, partially obstructed by the window of the other room. Room is clean and spacious. The room has the amenities that you would expect from a hotel – ref, cable tv, dvd player, ipod dock.

I cant say that I had a great sleep in this place. I can hear the drones of the vehicles as they drive by the main road. I’d occasionally hear this loud thud which we eventually found to be from the slamming of the main door. The pillow was too fat that I had slight stiff neck when I woke up.

Food – We wanted a weekend of just lazing around. We checked in sometime middle of the afternoon and were hungry from the drive. We were disappointed that the place does not offer much food selection for snack. I find it inconvenient that we had to go out and drive to one of the restaurants for snacks.

I’m no wine and cheese connoisseur but I personally enjoyed wine and cheese tasting. Hotel staff was quick to refill the cheese and wine. We had dinner shortly thereafter. The menu does not offer much for kids so we had no choice but to order spaghetti for our toddlers. Dinner food for me is so-so, nothing to rave about.

We did enjoy the warm milk and cookies. You’d get this warm, fuzzy feeling inside you when you take a sip of that warm milk with vanilla and pair it with the cookies.

Overall, it is a nice getaway place for couples or bonding place with friends. Wouldn’t really recommend it for families with young kids. My husband says he wouldn’t want to go back because he was disappointed with the food. I’d still want to go back but only if I get the room on a steep discount. Then again, perhaps I’ll just try out the other new hotels/bed and breakfast places cropping up in Tagaytay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank xenebugsy
Manila
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Price:
I got a 35% off deal with a groupon site so I was able to stay in this pricey boutique hotel (I really won't pay 10k a night standard rate). I just stayed overnight with hubby.

Service:
The service was great. Prompt, courteous, friendly. The staff always asked how else they can help.

Room:
We stayed in Ceylon - the smallest room. Pros are the main entrance is separated from the building so complete privacy. Cons: it was a LOT smaller than the other rooms, felt a bit claustrophobic and the bathroom has some rust spots inside the shower area.

There was also a brown outlet plug for things you had to plug but it was the type straight from a hardware store and was just jutting out of the table. The LAN connection inside the room didn't work, even after someone came in to fix it.

These are just petty reasons but I couldn't sleep well. Piped in music was softly playing outside the room the whole night and the comforter was too thick. I should have called to get a thin blanket and for them to shut the music.

Food:
WIFI in Verbena the resto was fast. Had the wine and cheese buffet. The wine was strong and okay but was of the P200 variety (I think). For breakfast, you can choose from the menu. There was a bread buffet as well. Oh yeah, there were cookies and warm milk sent to the room at 7 pm.

Others:
The bottom floor common room was musty at all times of the day. The jacuzzi was warm but had some dead insects. Didn't try it though bec the air was too chilly.

I wouldn't go back again - even at a % off. The service was great but there are other newer hotels in Tagaytay which I would rather try first.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank appleManila
Manila
Reviewed 12 February 2011

This hotel will always be dear to my heart... as this is where I got engaged!

My fiance connived with the staff to set up our room with rose petals, candles - the works - while we were out for dinner - all planned ahead. There was even a free chocolate cake slice with our names on the plate and cute hearts (spelled out using chocolate syrup) - all of these on the house! I was speechless as I entered the room , turned around, and saw my then-boyfriend go down on one knee holding a box with a shiny diamond ring. It was sooo romantic - a perfect night - still makes me smile as I think back on it.

I love the hotel staff ! They were so warm and friendly and helpful in every possible way. They even gave us a quick tour of the other available rooms when we asked. There's free wine and cheese cocktails in late afternoon - which I really enjoyed since I love cheese.

There's a nice jacuzzi outside but we didnt get to use it anymore.

Hotel room was really really lovely. We stayed in the Narra room. I love the room so much that it serves as my inspiration (to date) in planning out our would-be couples' room after we get married.

I would love to return to this hotel in the future - but have to save up for it :) It is indeed a little bit pricey , but definitely very worth it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple