“Perfect for a much awaited vacation”

Discovery Country Suites
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Tagaytay
Philippines
“Perfect for a much awaited vacation”
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We planned this trip way back June or July 2009. We booked the Ceylon room for 3 days and 2 nights, but was luckily upgraded to the Nara Suite since we were the only guests that day. Upon arrival we were given welcome drinks while waiting for the room to be prepared, then Mr. Francis showed us the beautiful suite and we had to guess where was the hidden door leading to the bathroom :) The spacious room indeed has beautiful wooden SOJI sliding doors, pebbled floors, Japanese dolls and tatami mats, and a wonderful garden view. There were luxurious L'Occitane toiletries, of which when requested to replenish will be given by them. Wi-Fi was excellent inside the room, they also had ipod dock.

When we got back at night, the wine and cheese platter was already waiting for us inside the room. We also borrowed DVD from their library, after sometime our hot milk and cookies arrived. It was nice that they put the milk in a thermos so that it will stay hot for a long time. :)

Next day we had sumptuous breakfast en suite, I had Country Pancakes and my partner had Verbena Steak. It also comes with Bread Basket & Jams, Fresh mango & pineaple juice, choice of hot chocolate and fruit platter.

I asked them if they could surprise my partner a honeymoon set-up that night since it was our monthsary, they did it for free. Put rose petals and tea lights in the room. That night we also took a quick swim in the outdoor jacuzzi although it did not get hot since it was raining. (P.S. it will take about 1- 1 1/2 hrs to heat the jacuzzi)

The whole stay was actually rainy, I blame the weather since we were not able to go to Taal Volcano, but I still enjoyed the whole stay because I really loved the cozy room, we just turned off the AC most of the time.

We got up late on our last day but enjoyed the breakfast in the restaurant.
Of course there was fruit Platter, Baker's Basket, Hot Chocolate, Fresh Fruit Mango and Watermelon Juice, My partner chose their Verbena Country Plate, while I had Italian Sausage. We also ordered their bestseller Dessert: Bouchon's Chocolate Marquise (sooo delicious!) and when we asked for the bill, they said that Mr. Eric already made it complimentary, Oh what Joy! We were so thankful for everything. We were also allowed late check-out since there was no one to occupy the room that day.

Their location was alright since it was along the road, on the way to Picnic grove and Palace in the sky, quite near rotonda but since we did not have a vehicle, we always had to take tricycle going there, most of Palace in the Sky Jeeps are full, no hassle though since it was fast.

Amenities was amazing, free fruits, bottled mineral water, chocnut and dried candies inside the room. Loved the L'occitane toiletries. The room had safety deposit box, iron and board, hair dryer, clothesline, rain shower, coffeemaker, did I miss anything? :p

People were courteous, smiling and very accommodating. For photos to share, especially their food, but you can see some on my blog:
I think my pics are too big that I cant upload them here

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed at Nuntucket Room. As expected, it was really a cozy, nice, neat and spacious room. I was pleasantly surprised with the Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries in the bathroom.

Another surprise was the wine and cheese buffet. Although I knew there will be a wine and cheese buffet, I didn't expect the cheeses to be that divine! Love it!

We had our dinner at Verbena, their restaurant. I ordered the lobster salad, ribs and chocolate dessert (their bestseller, I can't remember the name anymore). The lobster was delicious, and the dessert was heavenly! I truly recommend the salad and dessert. The ribs wasn't exceptional but still good. Being a food lover and have tried many fine dining here and out of the country, this restaurant still impressed me.

What I didn't like about this hotel is the lack of ammenities. When we were there, it was raining almost continuously. We initially planned to have horse back riding the first day, but couldn't since it was raining, so we were stuck in the hotel. The thing is there is not much to do inside the hotel. The DVD that you can borrow for free was limited. There was no swimming pool and everywhere you go, the view was the same since the hotel was small. I guess thats the thing with bed and breakfast unlike hotels like shangri-La. Perhaps bed and breakfast isn't for me.

The next morning, my hubby and my son tried to have a dip in the jacuzzi, but unfortunately, the water wouldn't heat up, so they ended up just dipping their feet.

The sliding door in the room's bathroom should also be replaced.

Overall, the experience was pleasant but too boring for my taste. If you like B&B, then I think you will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sophiegrayy
Zamboanga
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I must say, the service is absolutely superb. The rooms are very spacious. I stayed in Country Suites just this July for my birthday as a treat. And it was well worth it. We staid at a Nantucket Suite and it had a great view and very nice interiors.

The food was great! Steaks plus dory fish at Verbena really delicious. We had a great warm welcome with drinks while our room was prepared. Wine and Cheese through the sun set was also such a great experience.

No wonder it tops Trip Advisors list in Tagaytay

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank martangelo
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 9 June 2009

My wife booked us a room at Discovery Country Suites for our Wedding Anniversary. She had originally booked the Ceylon room, but as luck would have it, she was told by JR, the resident Manager, that they would be having a function which would mean bumping us off from the Ceylon room. Would we mind if we were transferred to the Oxford room which would in effect upgrade our accommodations? Would we? Would we?

We arrived at DCS around 130pm, a little early for the 2pm check in time. JR told us the room was not quite ready for us yet and if we wanted to have lunch while they prepped the room. So we went out and had a late lunch. When we got back, JR, welcomed us back and escorted us to our rooms personally and had welcome drinks brought up.

I had seen the room in images on the net, but being actually there was entirely different. I have seen my share of really nice hotel rooms and this one ranked up there with the best of them. Everything you've read about the Oxford room in the previous reviews is true. The view from the balcony is fantastic! The bed was very comfortable in a Goldilocks sort of way, not too soft and not too firm- just right!

At around 530, they sent up the complimentary wine and cheese they normally serve in the main dining area. JR said that since we were the only guests that day, he would send it up instead of us having to come down to enjoy it! Man, how's that for service! So we had some wine and cheese as we watched the lake disappear behind a veil of fog as the light faded. We went out for dinner at Antonio's not knowing they were closed Mondays so we ended up in the Cliffhouse after which we went back to DCS.

Upon Arrival, JR greeted us again and said he would be sending up warm milk and cookies for our nightcap and that he had a surprise for us waiting in the room. He aslo made sure to make our breakfast arrangements before we retired for the night. When we got there, we did not see anything extraordinary. The bell rang and in came the room service guy with milk and cookies plus a plattter with a slice of cake and a scoop of ice cream with Happy Anniversary spelled out in strawberry syrup along the inner edges!

We thought THAT was his surprise for us. Until my wife went into the bath then called me to show me the tub filled with bath foam, with candles on the side and rose petals strewn all around. I looked around and waited to hear music come on. None came,of course, I just thought I was in a movie or something. I thought to myself, man, JR sure knows how to put on a show for his guests!

In the morning, breakfast was served at the appointed time. we had it set up in the balcony so we had a hearty breakfast while looking out at the lake and enjoying the fresh breeze. The coffee was excellent , as was the mango jjuice and the tinapa omelet and the waffles. Man, was I in heaven or what?

We checked out a little before noon and had lunch in Verbena, the restaurant in the lobby. The term that comes to mind as an adjective to describe lunch is haute cuisine. Portions were not substantial but surprisingly filling and very tasty. Presentation was very pleasing and service was prompt, and five star! I had the roasted seafood with a pumpkin puree while the wife had some pasta with assorted mushrooms and bacon.

All in all, our stay at DCS was (supply superlatives here). There were a few minor hitches like internet access was not really all that great in the room- you had to go out to get a decent signal andthe remote of the TV was a bit flaky, and the noise from the vehicles on the highway,but all in all it was a very pleasant stay made possible by the excellent service rendered by JR and his crew in DCS.

I had read about how pricey this place is. It is, normally , but we were lucky. For less than $140, we had a very memorable stay in an excellent room with a nice view and complimentary breakfast to boot. If I include the price of the lunch, it would still amount to about $170! Definitely a steal! It helped that we came during the low season on an odd day.

JR tells me they have some special offers during weekdays on lean months. Something like PHP8888.00 for 2 nights stay in a deluxe room. He adds that if you get lucky (like we did), you could get upgraded to the a higher category room as well. And you can expect the same impeccable service JR and his crew at DCS delivered.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank trennie
Reviewed 15 May 2009

We stayed at the Oxford room which was huuuge! It had a big balcony with a great view of the lake. It had a sitting area with its own fireplace though it didn't seem like the fireplace could actually be used. We were there on a Friday so we didn't see very many people. There was a complimentary wine and cheese buffet at the restaurant which we had all to ourselves. They had red and white wine, a variety of cheeses, nuts, toast, fresh figs, cornichons and pearl onions. Yummy! The waiters were very friendly and were all too eager to keep our glasses filled. Dinner was good. We had the seafood (scallops and prawns) which was fabulous and the cheese pot (which was okay but had too much tomato sauce which made it too sweet.) The jacuzzi was turned on at night and from our balcony it looked so inviting so we tried it. The jet pressure was okay but the water was not warm. At around 8pm we were brought a pot of warm milk and 2 cookies. We scheduled for massages but later found out that they only had one masseuse so we sort of had to flip a coin to see who would get the massage since the last call was 9pm. Breakfast was great. The corned beef in a pot was excellent. The bathroom was huge with a rain-type shower and a bath tub big enough for two. It also had tons of closet space, a dresser and two sinks. The only problem was that the flush sometimes didn't work. Please fix this. The published rate was 15K per night but i think we got it at a discounted rate of 9K. Still, i found it a bit too pricey. Overall, though, I loved this hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank superpurplemoon
Reviewed 2 March 2009

On the negatives first:

This is the most expensive hotel in Tagaytay so you expect no slip-ups. However, the Ceylon Room where we stayed in smelled stuffy and musty like it has not been used in ages. The staff was nice enough to put an ionizer but it did not help. The bathroom looked old already. The room needs to be renovated. Also, the smell of a house nearby which burns leaves/trash goes up to the hotel and if you stay outside or in the restaurant veranda, the smell will stick to your hair and clothes... The hotel must do something about this neighbor.

Positive:
Location, view and ambiance was excellent. Food was also good.

Recommendation:If you're particular with cleanliness and sensitive to smell, I suggest you stay in Sonya's garden B & B or Taal Vista Hotel where the prices are more reasonable. You can just dine at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chaneybear
Reviewed 9 January 2009

We stayed in Country Suite overnight, right after Christmas.
Discovery Country Suite was still decked with Christmas decors, including a roaring fire in the fire place. It was a very warm and charming. We managed to booked the Oxford suite which happens to be the biggest room in the hotel. We checked in quickly and were brought to our room. The oxford suite has a kingsize bed and a sitting area with couch big enough for an adult to sleep on. The sheets were fresh and clean. For our party of 2 adults and 2 kids, the room fitted us perfectly. We had balcony giving us a great view of the Tagaytay ridge. The weather at that time was really chilly and windy. The bathroom was likewise very spacious. it had a walkin closet. The staff are very efficient and friendly. Breakfast was very good. There's a garden and a jucuzzi but we didn't swim because it was really cold.

On the downside, since Country Suite is located right on the main road, it can be bit noisy at night especially if you leave the door of the balcony open. We wanted to enjoy the weather at night but the noise on the road kept us awake. The bathroom though spacious smells old and need to be aired.

• Liked — Charming ambiance
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank MrsKanga