“Nice concept for the room but not worth the price”

The Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 103 Tagaytay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked the I Lust Room (highest in room category) a week before our arrival. Then a day before, someone texted me that this room will not be available for occupancy due to structural problem. They let us choose between I desire or I dare and we chose I desire.

The room is not spacious. And not big enough for the the rate.

The room is untidy! The bathroom floor is wet as if no one cleaned it. No mini bar (refrigerator), we bought our own water because there's no complimentary bottled water.

We wanted to watch movie, and the room where the DVD is located was locked. The guard told us that the manager forgot to leave the key. It was just 10pm at that time and nothing much to do in the hotel.

The only nice thing I noticed was the staff are courteous, and we were able to choose our own shower amenities.

We would love to go back in tagaytay but we will not stay here again. Such a dissapointment.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Larah L

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed in the I Lust room for a quick honeymoon last May 2013. =) The bed was very comfy with lots of fluffy pillows. We're also made to choose our own scent and personalized toiletries. The welcome iced tea is delicious, as well as the breakfast in bed. The hot chocolate at night is relaxing. I just think that they already need a renovation and the room is a bit cramped. I want to stay next time in the other rooms because each one is different. =)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last 18-19 April 2014. We walked in amd was given the I Surrender room which was the most expensive room. I have heard and read of the hotel so I was excited. The room was spacious which was convenient for me and my family. There were three adults and an infant. The room was approximately PhP9,200 plus 1,850 for each extra person. The rate includes breakfast which was sumptuous, a ten minute foot massage or facial. We were given choices for the soap and shampoo and hot chocolate. Now, for the rating. Cleanliness was poor because there is a stain on the pillow case. The sheets need replacement. The big circular sofa on the patio needs cleanng too.
Value and room is average. This hotel is not for families. It caters more to couples. No infant friendly amenities. I like the spaciousness of the room. However, the bathroom is small. The rainfall shower is nice but the bathroom size is not commensurate to the luxury of the room. It really is too smalll. The curtain used to cover the shower area from the room looks cheap and not well thought of. There is no ref. The room patio leads to the restaurant so it gets quite noisy and busy. The room is beside the service area of the hotel and I could hear the staff and their noise. The lights were so dim. The chandelier in the patio looks like it is going to fall.
On a positive note, service is very good. Staff were courteous and helpful. The food is worth going back to. Excellently prepared. They have fresh herbs. They plant it themselves. The view is amazing. Location is excellent.
I just wish they could bring back the luxury in the small details. Staying in Boutique is more of convenient rather than an experience. And it is a shame since the hotel started out strong in experience but is now turning mediocre but still pricey.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Joanne R
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I thought the concept of one in a kind rooms was genius. The marketing was superb that I did not feel any qualms paying US$270 per night for the "I desire room". I thought it was the least I could do for my Missus for the days I am away from her. Maybe because I was checking in from a five star hotel where I paid almost 40% less than this but for the money I was paying, I definately expected a little more. I left with a list of almost 15 areas of improvement which I wasn't sure whether to leave at the reception because there was no active desire from the staff to genuinely get feedback on how our stay was. So the list is as follows:

1. The welcome note in the room had the names of a different couple. By nature of the hotel, I would imagine guests may be a little bit more keen on their privacy and thus leaving their names displayed in another room is a no-no
2. Breakfast request paper requires you to complete and hang outside your door. Again, the form requires you to input your name and this is a no-no for privacy reasons. I mean, the request is at door… Why do they need to know my name again? They already have room number & name at registration!
3. No Mini-bar/fridge in the room. At a minimum I expect a mini bar in case I want drinks. I don’t want to have to call reception any time I want to drink water, juice a beer.. anything
4. Welcome water is two measly bottles of water. When we requested for extra water, we waited for almost an hour and we had to call again for the water to be delivered
5. When the water was delivered, it was tap water (At least it was in a jug). Again, I don’t mind paying more, but it would make me more comfortable if they gave bottled water.
6. No door bell – (Cant remember correctly on this one) but I really hate people banging on my door!
7. Bath tub: Not sure if it’s me who doesn’t know how to use the bath tub, but we filled it up with water to take a bth and some time later, before we took a bath the water had almost all drained off!!!
8. The TV is not clear at all! The hotel could do well to invest in cable TV!
9. Internet barely worked!
10. Perhaps some aircon in the reception area would do some good?
11. Ambience of reception area… Maybe some better chairs that are commensurate with the amount of money the hotel charges?
12. The female toile at reception area was out of toilet paper on the day we were checking out
13. I was eating an apple at the reception area. When done, I looked around for a disposal bin but there was none. When I asked one of the staff, he asked me to follow him where he showed me where to throw.. near the kitchen area. In any other facility (where I would be paying half the price, mind you) the staff would have offered to take the seed and throw on my behalf
14. Am used to bell staff helping me with luggage.. no need to ask or wait. Did not get this experience at the Boutique B&B.
15. Knowledge of the staff was not to the standard I expected. There is a Lake Taal tour organized by the hotel for early morning. As we wanted to go in the late afternoon, we asked reception and they could not provide us information that was very helpful. We ended up trying on our own and found ourselves in a potentially dangerous environment when we went to across the lake.
16. No hotel cars (Had to take Jeep or Trike). Am sure there are guests who don’t mind paying a little bit more for the comfort and security of a hotel car.

In summary, I think the theme of/idea behind the hotel is unique and worth every penny of it. Unfortunately, from there, everything is downhill. You pay 7 Star hotel prices for 2-3 Star service.

Room Tip: Go for the I desire room! Nice view of the lake and the ridges around it
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Okunja
Reviewed 11 March 2014

My friend suggested that we try Hawaiian Barbeque and since we would also like to stay in Tagaytay, we decided to book at Boutique Bed and Breakfast (with eyes closed of course since the price is kinda high). We emailed them requesting for the Dream room only to find out that it was already booked (By none other than my officemate!! imagine my reaction when I find that out). We chose the Desire room instead.

You really need to book in advance before it can get fully booked easily because it has only 7 rooms.

I really like the service. We called at around 9 in the evening and ordered a large baby back ribs. But we were warned by the chef that this is really huge! Even the medium size would be big enough for 3-4 people. We were glad that he is not after the money. Since everyone else was busy, he personally delivered our food to the second floor.

Once in a while, we call the front desk to ask for ice. In a few minutes, they would serve a bucket. Great service indeed.

I just hope that for the price you are paying, massage would be around 20-30mins. (It was just a 10-min massage).

Toiletries are good. Boyfriend loved the peppermint shampoo, soap and conditioner. I was supposed to pick Lavender but only Peppermint and Banana are available that time, I just hope all scents are available.

They served hot chocolate with cookies and roses. Romantic, yes. The breakfast is also good and we were really full afterwards.

I am just hoping that for the price you pay, they would be able to offer more services or wide variety of snacks.

Room Tip: Choose any room in the second floor. The Hawaiian Barbeque restaurant is in the first floor and imag...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank summerlove29
Reviewed 3 February 2014

For a quick getaway from Manila, this is a great little spot. We stayed in the second floor "iDare" room: nice clean room, great view - beautiful thing to wake up to. The bathroom was a bit tight, but overall pretty good. We had a meal in the restaurant which we liked, great soft ribs falling off the bone. I would say, budget permitting, this place is worth a visit - couples only.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed for one night with my wife and will definitely be back for more (planning to complete 5 stays to get one night free). "I dare" room is clean, I must say best part is the toiletries. I like how they let us chose the soaps, shampoos, etc to be used, even the oil scent what we want is there. The bed is so comfortable (feels new to me) and the offer of different varieties of soft pillows, my favorite is the "peanut" like pillow. The food is delicious, we ordered Filipino breakfast like we use to in other Hotels. There is a complimentary native hot chocolate drink at 9pm, The staffs were very hospitable and you get to see the beautiful view on Taal Lake. Overall, the money was so worth it even if it is expensive compare to others there, truly Luxurious.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple