“Fun night”

Cuisines: Philippine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We were a small party of 11 who went here for a quiet meal early in the week. Service was good without being over bearing. The food was of an above average standard and served hot. The dishes were hardly generous, but were adequate. This is not a cheap place to eat and you pay for quality not quantity!

We really enjoyed the baby back ribs, they were amazing as was the honey highland chicken. The sizzling squid and bangus belly was good. The rice portions were woeful for there price.

The "band" (1 guy & 3 women singing to a karaoke) were entertaining and good. They took requests and managed to accommodate most requests. We requested some RnR music and my wife and I got up for a dance that thrilled the band, the wait staff, the kitchen staff and other patrons. We were happy just for 1 dance so they could return to their crooning music. But once they had us there to entertain them, they played another RnR number. We stayed on the floor but dancing RnR it tropic heat was fair sapping. When they played the 3rd track, we had to call it quits, to cries of disappointment! When I went to pay the bill, the cashier had a mile-wide smile and complimented us on our dancing.

The grounds are clean tidy and well maintained. The toilets are clean if not slightly disconcerting. The walls are bamboo slats and well... not particularly private. But hey, after dancing in front of an audience, I had no shame left anyway! You just have to get over yourself!

Other than meal portions, the only other criticism was the bugs! Bugs, bugs and more bugs! To help the kids cope, we had already devised a game amongst ourselves called ant smash! So we just played bug smash!

The meals did take some time to arrive, but their quality was worth it. We'd go back again during our next visit to Gensan.

2  Thank Darryn G

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We, a family group of four, visited on a Thursday lunchtime. We majored on fish, and the dishes did not disappoint. There was quite a lot wait for the food, but it was worth it. The grounds of the place are truly delightful with many and varied gardens, with fabulous views. We were even able to buy a few plants from their nursery, at very reasonable prices.

1  Thank SimonDabbs
Reviewed 12 July 2014

A go to place among the locals (according to my family who live in the area). Convenient way to sample the best seafood, fish in the gensan area. But more upscale in terms of pricing.

2  Thank EfficiencyGeek
Reviewed 12 July 2014

1  Thank Alex A
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Came to Sarangani Restaurant with high expectations since its so well known locally. At first the service was mediocre at best, it just got worse from there. The food arrived, mine was t-bone steak which had been tenderized which was a good thing because it may have been the toughest steak I ever ate. I was hoping a better restaurant such as this would at least have a choice cut of meat, but not so. Veggies were somewhat overcooked, but the rice was fine. Then I found the worm! I brought to the attention of the wait staff, and we were COMPLETELY ignored. After waiting for a long time, I went to find a waiter and explained that a worm in the food was unsatisfactory and he marched off presumably to tell management. We noticed the cooks, cashier, waiters and kitchen staff watching us, but they did ABSOLUTELY nothing. Appetite ruined and feeling very alienated we got up to leave. Before we got out of the parking lot, we observed the kitchen manager(?) racing with ticket in hand to the security outpost by the entryway. Security stopped us, then a manager FINALLY showed up and took the ticket from the kitchen help and approached the drivers window. We immediately voiced our frustrations and objected to paying for anything at that point. The manager became apologetic then allowed us to leave. The whole experience with staff and the meal was just terrible, but thankfully am able to laugh about it now although I plan to NEVER go back or recommend this place to anyone!

5  Thank Thunderstormtraveler