“Gem of the South”

General Santos City, General Santos, Philippines
“Gem of the South”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

No better place to stay in General Santos City. If you want a good night sleep,
safe and relaxing. The structure of this hotel is well architectural designed.
Can't find so much fault. Near to SM supermart and city center. You'll love the cozy ambience
It not on budget tight, stay here. you will not go wrong.

Room Tip: All rooms just the same.. no need to choose.. just perfect
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank GatewaytravelGROUP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had an event at General Santos City, Philippines for our product broadcast on the said region. It was a two-and- a-half-hour-drive from where we departed since we were on board our Assistant Manager's company-owned vehicle. But if you commute on bus, you will arrive 3 to 4 hrs then. Anyway, the hotel is located right beside Shoemart - Gensan. So you don't have to worry that much if you have something to buy. As we entered the lobby to confirm our booking, i noticed the motiff of the hotel. It stood by their name. Even small details on the walls and pillars were carved in a root-like part of a tree. The colors of the chairs and tables were well-coordinated. It was so soothing to see. When I came into our room, though it was not that big but not so small, the first thing I noticed was the bathroom. It has glass walls but in the middle of it, they had it frosted. We know why? But at the far end, they put up a mini garden with small pebbles and potted plant. I was pretty much adored by this hotel because I felt the comfort and coziness of a home away from home. Greenleaf is much nicer than one of the high-end hotels in Davao City I had once tried. In the morning, we had our breakfast and still, captivated my taste with their delicious entrees, native delicacies and assorted desserts. Too bad I wasn't able to use their swimming pool. We had to leave early. Anyway, if you're curious about the price, you can say that it's very pricey. They are the 5-star-hotel in that city as they claimed. It's all worth it. I have a little secret though. We got a nice deal with the rates however because the owner is one of our customers.. hehe! Slight problem is their parking area upfront. Better park your car at the basement. From where you are coming, there is a little difficulty in making a turn going up the escalated entrance of the hotel. But if you're just a backpacker, no hassle at all. So, I hope you won't have double thoughts on where to stay at the southern part of the country. Have a nice trip and have fun!!

Room Tip: Well, a good room for me is where you can see the view of the bustling city at night. Maybe you can...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Sui_Lai
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I got the promo 2,999 per night, i booked two nights and requested the king size bed because we are a couple, but when we checked in i found out we were in twin room, pisses off because i fully paid the room and yet the request i got was opposite, now tell me greenleaf how can we squeez in because its a two single beds. So we wil sleep separetly since we are couple?? Stupid front desk! Next time gurantee your reservations. Wifi sucked also, its just by the door. You dont want to stay near the door always right? Breakfast was great, hotel lobby was surprisingly hot when you wait there or ur guest would wait there. Check out was smooth. A really nice hotel, but the front desk is stupid among all hotels i've been check in with. Dont expect to get the room you always up, you'll end up disppointing yourself.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank anjela07
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Nice Things:
They are running a special in May 3,000P for room + breakfast.
Excellent (though smallish) pool open 24 hours, with 2-3 kiddie pools.
Backup generator kicked in within a minute of a power failure
Key-card power-off feature does not cut power to the desk, so your laptop/phones can continue to charge while you are out. Good planning here.
Housekeeping staff checking every evening if I needed something
Calling before they deliver laundry
Brewed coffee for breakfast
Excellent service from all staff
Several movie channels. My 1st room had a giant TV, the 2nd room I used the TV was large.
Some TV channels in Japanese and Chinese, and Korean.
Strong WiFi signal. Ping 136ms, Download 7.20 Mbps, Upload 5.70. See note blow about Internet
Excellent choice of tabletops, they will last a long time and still look good.
Nice price on draft beer in the club
Great breakfast
Just across from SM City mall. Next door to Gusteaus Seafood
My laptop appreciated the grounded electrical outlets
Nice items for coffee/tea service
Appreciate having a fridge and not having it crammed with mini-bar items
In room safe
Batter-powered bedside clock. Someone was thinking!

Not So Nice:
Many quirky design issues. If you are a hotel designer, hotel architect, or owner, please consider:
Closet has mirror doors, nice. No handles on the doors, not so nice
Shower, no down directing faucet.
Electronic Air conditioning control very hard to use. I resorted to manually shutting it off periodically. With the fan on low, I should not hear the air blowing.
Sinks are a nice modern design, and Not Flat (thank you), but they are small and don't match the faucet. Water splashes all over, which I am sure is a bother the housekeeping.
Toilet keeps running
Internet: rooms are wired for Ethernet LAN cable, but its not hooked up. The first room I was in the Internet was not connecting. I believe the blame is the small WiFi routers installed.
Select WiFi routers that have an Ethernet connection, so customers can choose either method to connect.
Nice leather folder to hold the TV remote, but no channel guide.
Too many light switches!
Sharp edges on the lower edge of the bed frame killed my toes twice!
Some defects with the low-wattage LED lights
Do we really need LED lights in the shower??
Water pot - no room for the plug, fridge filled all available space in the cabinet

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank JamboME
Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Starting with the cons, be sure to advise staff you do not want a room in the upper floors
with the water pump noise. It is consistently loud and kept me awake numerous times
during my stay. After all, what is the main concern of staying in a hotel ...a quiet/comfortable
sleep/stay. For the price, Green leaf is over rated, selling themselves in the same category as
International hotels as hilton/marriot etc. Virtually nearing the same price, yet green leaf is
built with extremely cheap materials. Where they should be using stainless steal, they do not..
This hotel will fall apart in no time. No doubt they will not renovate until its a disaster.
Majority of the time, the wifi was tripping into nowhere land.

The pros, the pool is lovely, good food at the restaurant generally speaking, minus the
drowning of food with oil. Staff is generally attentive.
Unless there is a great promo going on, I would not bother again.
No doubt the staff must place a client away from the horrid noise of the water pump
when being asked for a quiet room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from the water pump noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank surfinraw
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is with out doubt the best Hotel in General Santos. The rooms are large, clean and have very comfortable beds.

The restaurants have improved dramatically since the hotel first opened, however the breakfast room can get crowded a peak hours if the hotel is full.

Great pool, well equipped gym, and a pleasant bar.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank isin77
Manila
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Have been wanting to try this new hotel since I saw it being constructed in my last trip there. Boy, was i impressed!

The rooms were quite stylish & elegant, the amenities were complete (led tv, complimentary coffee & tea, safe, etc.) bed & pillows very comfy.

The price was quite reasonable & came with a free buffet breakfast, which was also okay. Service was also good.

The hotel is also located conveniently across the street from SM City mall GenSan, should you need anything else.

All in all, this hotel is highly recommended for business travelers. I just hope they maintain the quality of the rooms & service.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business