“Wake up to the Mighty Mekong!”

Serene at Chiangrai Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Chiang Saen B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 December 2013

This is a lovely hotel right on the Mekong River in the Golden Triangle. The views are absolutely spectacular and the rooms are well equipped and very nice. I was able to look into one of the street facing rooms and I would have been unhappy if we had been in one of them as the rooms facing the river are so much nicer! Even the view from lying in bed looking across the river to Laos was lovely!
The dining area is also right on the river. Unfortunately the food was not nearly as spectacular as the river views. I would recommend having a drink here but heading across the street to Janine Cafe to eat!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river, the street views are nothing special and really, aren't you coming...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed at the Serene at Chiang Rai Hotel for two nights in room 403 on our OAT tour in December. Unfortunately, we were facing the noisy street although the traffic died down late in the evening. Apparently, the riverside rooms are larger suites and obviously more expensive. The room included a safe, bar soap, 2 robes, shampoo, wifi, and two pairs of USED slippers! No kidding and the reason for our poor Cleanliness ranking. (These were replaced with new ones for our second day. Needless to say, we did not wear them.) We used their laundry service for several pairs of sox and cotton shirts. We did not use the pool. The hotel is within easy walking distance to the gold Buddha and the view of the Golden Triangle. We had dinner and breakfast here in their patio area overlooking the river.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank erntravels
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This hotel is right on the Mekong River with great views and the softest bed we slept on in Thailand. It was nice to eat breakfast (yummy) while looking out over the river. Our favorite part about this hotel was actually the noodle soup place across the street. They also had great food and great service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2013

A beautiful hotel at the border of Thailand. The rooms are large and well equipped. The view over the river is great. The breakfast is good, the staff friendly and helpful. The poolside is small but welcome on hot days.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Small hotel with big rooms and a balcony looking over the Mekong river with a view across to Laos. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast was very good and served on the terrace. There are a few small restaurants within easy walking distance down the main street.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2013

The hotel is nice, it's modern and clean, and I can't really fault it.

My main issue with the stay was the area. This hotel is in the Golden Triangle, and there's not a lot there, it is totally dead at night. I'd recommend staying down the road in the town of Chiang Saen, which we did the following night, and that was great.

In the morning I asked about transport to the Opium Hall, expecting that they may have a free tut-tut or shuttle up there. They sent their hotel car around, but wanted 200 Baht for the short 3 minute ride up the street.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 15 May 2013

When I arrived I was greeted by very friendly staff at the desk . Straight away I was upgraded to a river view room . The rooms are very big and clean . The food is great especially the chicken with sautéed mushroom sauce highly recommend . The 2 boys at the front desk are so very nice and very helpful . I stayed here as I was visiting my adopted elephants Pumpui and Dah at the elephant camp just up the road . Over all I will be back to stay at the Serene to visit my girls again without a doubt , thank you very much for a most pleasurable stay .

• Stayed: May 2013