OMG...where do I start?? Amazing? Mind blowing? Joyful? Adventure? Just... please come here. It's amazing. I read some of the 4 star reviews and was quite sad because I'm not sure why every review wasn't 5-stars and why everyone wasn't obsessed with this place like I was.
To start, this place is maximum luxury with a flair of adventure. If you're prissy like Paris Hilton- it might not be for you. I actually saw a couple that didn't want anything to do with the elephants. You get to ride elephants here and they didn't even want to pet them-- why come to tented camp?? She got mad when she got wet when she was bathing the elephants. You are bathing an giant elephant! I was mind blown!
Yes, it is a pricer resort, but you're not staying at the holiday inn. It's a elephant sanctuary/research camp. There are 4 elephants that live at the Tented Camp at all times and another 80+ that stay at the research center. Plus it's the Four Seasons. It's all inclusive. You ride elephants...yes, of course it is expensive. However, there is no other hotel/resort like this. You learn how to be a mahout (elephant trainer). You bathe them in the river that separates you from Burma to Thailand. The personal touches are AMAZING. Not to give everything away, but they printed postcards of you riding the elephants so you can send them to you family. Every employee signed a card for us, wishing us a happy honeymoon. Welcoming flowers, more welcoming flowers in the room- we were bombarded with flowers! :)
So my husband and I came here for our honeymoon and we loved every single minute of it. Out of every place we have ever stayed- this is our favorite. We came here on a recommendation of some friends. They have traveled the world and this resort came in a close 2nd of top favorites. #1 was an African Safari they went on the year before. The mahoots (elephant trainers) are so amazing. Go to the bar and order a lychee martini (mine) and a lemongrass martini (my husband's fav) from our friend Tom, who mans the bar every night. The record is 8 martini in one night, I might add!
We ended up doing the breakfast with the elephants every am, sunset at the Burma Bar every night, the elephant training one day, Opium Museum (which was one of the best museums we've been too. A little dated yes, but explains why China is the way they are now), trip to Burma- temples where we got to release our own sparrows, river tour and sunrise elephant tour. Defiantly do the sunrise tour (buy some bags of sunflower seeds from the local market). ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.
In the end, our friends and family hate us. Their hearts have filled with jealousy. They nearly died when they saw all of our pictures and heard about our amazing stories. My husband's brother and wife went to Thailand a few years ago/rode elephants with another hotel, but honestly they just didn't have the same magical experience as we did. They felt like tourist who were going to a circus attraction. We felt like apart of this entire experience. This is a once in a lifetime trip and was worth every penny we spent. The tented camp exceeded every expectation I had. I'm not sure how I'm going to stay in any other hotel because I was spoiled rotten by coming here.
Ps- It's freaking hot in Thailand- esp in the mountains of Thailand in April. Note to yourself, it's best to come in Nov/Dec/Jan and not mid April like we did. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the natural wonders of Northern Thailand, just south of Burma, west of Laos, for an unforgettable experience. On our unique min 2 nights stay excursions, you'll have the adventure of a lifetime trekking elephants through lush jungle and spectacular mountain trails. Unwind in our superb luxury tented accommodations, which feature stunning views and Four Seasons luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Priceline, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle Hotel Chiang Saen
- 4 Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle
- Four Seasons Chiang Rai
- Chiang Rai Four Seasons
- Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle Chiang Rai Province, Thailand - Chiang Saen