“Worth every single penny. Once in a lifetime.”

Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Chiang Saen
Orange County, California
“Worth every single penny. Once in a lifetime.”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

OMG...where do I start?? Amazing? Mind blowing? Joyful? Adventure? Just... please come here. It's amazing. I read some of the 4 star reviews and was quite sad because I'm not sure why every review wasn't 5-stars and why everyone wasn't obsessed with this place like I was.

To start, this place is maximum luxury with a flair of adventure. If you're prissy like Paris Hilton- it might not be for you. I actually saw a couple that didn't want anything to do with the elephants. You get to ride elephants here and they didn't even want to pet them-- why come to tented camp?? She got mad when she got wet when she was bathing the elephants. You are bathing an giant elephant! I was mind blown!

Yes, it is a pricer resort, but you're not staying at the holiday inn. It's a elephant sanctuary/research camp. There are 4 elephants that live at the Tented Camp at all times and another 80+ that stay at the research center. Plus it's the Four Seasons. It's all inclusive. You ride elephants...yes, of course it is expensive. However, there is no other hotel/resort like this. You learn how to be a mahout (elephant trainer). You bathe them in the river that separates you from Burma to Thailand. The personal touches are AMAZING. Not to give everything away, but they printed postcards of you riding the elephants so you can send them to you family. Every employee signed a card for us, wishing us a happy honeymoon. Welcoming flowers, more welcoming flowers in the room- we were bombarded with flowers! :)

So my husband and I came here for our honeymoon and we loved every single minute of it. Out of every place we have ever stayed- this is our favorite. We came here on a recommendation of some friends. They have traveled the world and this resort came in a close 2nd of top favorites. #1 was an African Safari they went on the year before. The mahoots (elephant trainers) are so amazing. Go to the bar and order a lychee martini (mine) and a lemongrass martini (my husband's fav) from our friend Tom, who mans the bar every night. The record is 8 martini in one night, I might add!

We ended up doing the breakfast with the elephants every am, sunset at the Burma Bar every night, the elephant training one day, Opium Museum (which was one of the best museums we've been too. A little dated yes, but explains why China is the way they are now), trip to Burma- temples where we got to release our own sparrows, river tour and sunrise elephant tour. Defiantly do the sunrise tour (buy some bags of sunflower seeds from the local market). ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

In the end, our friends and family hate us. Their hearts have filled with jealousy. They nearly died when they saw all of our pictures and heard about our amazing stories. My husband's brother and wife went to Thailand a few years ago/rode elephants with another hotel, but honestly they just didn't have the same magical experience as we did. They felt like tourist who were going to a circus attraction. We felt like apart of this entire experience. This is a once in a lifetime trip and was worth every penny we spent. The tented camp exceeded every expectation I had. I'm not sure how I'm going to stay in any other hotel because I was spoiled rotten by coming here.

Ps- It's freaking hot in Thailand- esp in the mountains of Thailand in April. Note to yourself, it's best to come in Nov/Dec/Jan and not mid April like we did. :)

Room Tip: There are only 15 rooms, but we stayed in the "basket tent" #8 which came with your own o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Han S
Ali M, Camp Manager at Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you for such a “Joyful " review. I am very happy to see how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and you liked your very special experience with our gentle giants. I have taken the liberty of sharing your very thoughtful comments with our Mahouts and Tom, who were very happy to learn how much they were able to provide you with an exceptional life time experience.
Once again, thank you for spending your honeymoon with us at the jungle, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Camp Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2014

As you might be well aware, I am the happiest when I get a honeymoon request from my clients. Hence my favorite part of my job is to travel to unique destinations to get explore the new trends, top hotels and local cuisine.

When I got engaged last year my goal immediately was to plan the ultimate honeymoon. Therefore, after carefully selecting my favorite destinations I started the search for the most romantic hotels in those locations. It took me almost a year to narrow my list down to three, so without further a due here are the three most romantic, luxurious and unique properties on planet Earth.

We were 36 hours in and our honeymoon seemed more like a marathon than an actual honeymoon. As we got off our Thai Airways flight in Chiang Rai our heads were still spinning from the fact that:

1. We were now married.

2. We had had the most spectacular wedding.

3. We had seen 600 loved ones in one night.

4. We were now half way around the world about to experience the most extraordinary two-week honeymoon ever planned.

As we got off the plane we were greeted perhaps by the happiest person in Thailand, Tai Yo. Everything we said was met with a hearty laugh. It was the kind of laugh that you envy when you hear it, making our one-hour car ride to the Ruak river fly by. Afterwards my husband and I boarded a traditional long boat for the final stretch to reach the long awaited Four Seasons Tented Camp.

As the ranger steered the boat, the crisp and fresh air caressing my face was the instant shot of adrenaline I needed. The lush tropical beauty, the raw wildlife, and location were surreal. We were in the heart of the Golden Triangle where we could see three counties at the same time: Laos, Thailand and Myanmar. In addition, the idea of being in the epicenter of the Opium War was unreal.

Half way into the boat ride, I thought to myself the trip couldn’t get any better than this, that is, until we arrived to the camp. “Ok”, I thought, now I have seen it all. The mix of Swiss family Robinson style with an African flair left me speechless, to the point that when the manager came to introduce himself, I just smiled and said nothing. Thankfully I have a husband that loves conversation, therefore acting as my assistant was a no-brainer as he began telling him all about Posh Voyage.

The bar, lobby, restaurant, library and wine cellar were all outdoors perched on a hill overlooking the Golden Triangle. Consequently, I sat down to take everything in. I got pampered with a fresh cold towel, warm tea and traditional Thai snacks. Everything was great until it became perfect thanks to two giant, hairy, adorable 14-year-old elephants standing behind us. Of course, every time I thought this could not get any better, it did.

It was time to go to our room! We began the 10 minute uphill trek, crossed a suspension bridge, passed by the elephant reserve and there it was, our tent.

At the Tented Camp, hotel rooms are a thing of the past. Here, luxury tents rule. With just 15 tents decorated with handcrafted furniture, outdoor showers, a Jacuzzi, mosquito nets and a hand-hammered copper bathtub, we saw ‘camping’ in a whole new light.

During our stay at the Four Seasons Tented Camp, we never ran out of activities. Whether we were on an elephant trek in the bamboo forests, floating down the Mekong River, spending a day at the open-air spa or exploring the village market, the days flew by. And at night, we indulged in regional specialties at the Nong Yao restaurant, where hurricane lights created the perfect ambiance. Simple dishes like curry’s, papaya salad and friend rice were perfection.

Finally, our “thing” was to head over to the Burma Bar after dinner, order a Bloody Mary and a Lemongrass Martini, and sit next to the fireplace while playing cards. Our game only lasted five minutes max, since I was always losing. I hate losing, so naturally I would throw the cards on the floor and pretend nothing happened. The best part about the bar is that they refuse to play music, believing the sounds of nature make for a more beautiful melody.

Room Tip: Deluxe Tent with a jacuzzi outside
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PoshVoyageConcierge
Thank you so much for such detailed and thoughtful review. Once again, a heartfelt congratulation on your honeymoon, and we feel much honored having been selected by you among 100 other destinations to be the perfect spot for your honeymoon trip.

It was great pleasure having you with us, and we are all thrilled that we managed to meet your expectations, and provided you with a life time experience at our magical camp.

Once again, thank you for staying with us, and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Monaco-Ville, Monaco
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was the last stop of what it was a three weeks tour of Indochina designed for us by A&K London.
The choice they’ve made to end our trip here was excellent!
It’s a very special experience and we have enjoyed every moment of it.
First there are the accommodations, in tents randomly scattered through the jungle, along a discrete winding path, taking one even over a ravine on a suspended Indiana Jones style mock “bamboo bridge” (actually very safe and sustained by steel cables).
Now, the tents, built on platforms and “hooked” on a steep hill side (but don’t worry: there is no climbing involved!), are far from each other offering total privacy and superb views of the river and the elephant paths and planes from above and fully equipped for 5 star living but constantly hinting that adventure and colonial spirit and feeling. Very “African safari” if you wish, complete with the outdoor shower and faucet handles made of horns.
Then, there are the elephants. You’ll have here a true close encounter with these beautiful animals, closer than you will probably ever have, except if you really get in trouble while on a safari. You get to mount them, ride them and order them around like a real mahout and it’s safe for both you and the elephants. You even get to have breakfast with them! One may have a sunrise ride and even an elephant bath experience.
And last it’s the Golden Triangle, with its super fast speedboats, its strange and battled history and the optional day trip to Burma (Today’s Myanmar), which reminds you how lucky you are.
The camp staff is treating everyone like a VIP, the resident manager, Mr. Ali Muhammad, is always mingling with the guests to make sure everyone is happy, the mahout supervisor is kind and helpful and reassuring, the jungle secluded spa has an array of massages (recommended after riding an elephant for an hour) and if you take a trip in the surrounding area to see the interesting hill tribes use the services of Somkid. He’s funny and helpful and knows everyone around.
All in all a very rewarding experience!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind review and for sharing with us your very special experience at the magical tented camp. I am very happy to see how much you liked the camp set up and all the services offered. It was a great pleasure having you with us. The whole entire camp team was very happy to read your review. As well, I have taken the liberty to share with the Mahouts and Somkid your kind compliment of them.

It was a complete pleasure having you with us, and again, thank you so much for staying with us and for writing such great review.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Spent two and a half days in this elephant paradise. Time with the elephants was of course the highlight but there are other parts most visitors miss. Our favorite thing to do (beside riding the elephants into the Mekong to bathe and up to the top of the hills to watch the sun rise) was a herbal walk. It is inclusive in the price but you have to ask for it. Then one of the chefs and another guide took us on a walk near elephant camp where they taught us all about the various edible plants found there. They had us hand pick our edible ferns and flowers which they took back to the kitchen and created a beautiful, delicious and unique meal just for us!
Another spot that seems to be overlooked is the wine cellar. At 5pm you can visit the wine cellar for a wine and cheese tasting.
I can't say enough about how friendly the staff was, how beautiful the scenery was, how unique the camp was and how special the elephants were.
The food was excellent (ask for recommendations) with our favorite being the yellow curry and chicken dish for lunch , the soft shelled crab and the lamb chops at dinner.
ALSO, I had my birthday while there and they treated me like royalty all day long...best birthday ever!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write the review and for sharing with us how much you enjoyed your stay with at our magical jungle. I am very happy to learn that you have loved your interaction with the gentle giants, the tents and the food, and that your birthday celebration was very special.

Once again, thank you for the review, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warren
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 days at the tented camp. There is very little to complain about other than the outrageous prices. Yes it's all inclusive, but the boat is not comfortable at all. The side trips are BS. The spa was average and the food mediocre. I got tired of the same lunch options. The staff deserve an a plus

Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Foodjunkie712
Ali M, Camp Manager at Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel the Camp offers a good value for money, and your overall experience was close to average.

We do offer wide varieties of both Western and Thai cuisines for breakfast and lunch, as well 2 set menus for dinner (one Thai and one Western) that we change every night. In addition, all our guests are welcomed to ask for any additional dish, even if it is not included in the menus. As for the trips, they are very relevant to the Golden Triangle area and the Northern Thailand, and they are meant to give the guests a good feel of the region and the history.
Once again, I am sorry if the food, the trips and the Spa were a let down for you, and we will certainly look into how we can further improve our current services to better serve you and our guests in the future.

Thank you for staying with us, and please accept my sincere apology for any disappointment.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent three wonderful nights at the tented camp and we were absolutely thrilled from start to finish. The staff, accommodation, transport, facilities, location and food (so good) was all way beyond our expectations. Upon arrival the staff greet you by saying, "welcome to the jungle" and from that point on your experience begins. With only 15 tents, privacy is assured. All tents are beautifully appointed and offer all the modern amenities you could possibly need during your stay. Best part of all - no TV's! We were so impressed with the flow and organization of the activities which are all included with your stay. The elephant training and trek was certainly the highlight of our stay. Other activities include a 90min spa treatment. We enjoyed this too because of the unique setting of the massage huts. They are perched on a ravine overlooking the jungle offering complete privacy and serenity - spectacular! There is also a visit to a local market, temple, Island on Laos, and opium museum.
Feel free to contact me if you have any other specific questions, I would be delighted to try and answer them for you.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dutchhouse
Thank you for such a nice review and I am so thrilled to see how much you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations, and we have met all your needs. It is great to see that you have liked all the Camp facilities and you did enjoy your one of a kind interaction with our Gentle Giants.

Once again, thank you for staying with us, and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Thailand struggles to preserve a satisfactory way of life for its elephants. While this resort isn't a perfect home for elephants (it has faults), when compared to Thailand's cruel options for its beloved majestic, smart beauties, this resort is doing a good thing.

The resort is very welll appointed and will provide great memories for a lifetime.

Tent 6 and 8 have the best views of the elephants at night. The elephants walk the only road through camp, therefore get to know when they pass to ensure you're on that road when they do.

Another tip, be sure to place 4-5 small bananas from breakfast in your bag to feed the elephants you'll be working with later that day.

The time here goes by very quickly. Walk the grounds, trails and visit each first class facility.
At night you can epect to hear the elephants eating and loud birds - it's wonderful.

Ask for Paul as your guide into Chaing Saen or for the elephant experience. He's outstanding.

Room Tip: Tent 6 and 8 have the best views of the elephants at night. Staying further from the restaurant is...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I am very happy to learn that we have managed to provide you with unforgettable experience, and you will carry forward lots of fond memories of the Camp and of your stay with us.

Thank you for acknowledging our care, love and tender for our gentle giants, and I am happy see that you did enjoy seeing them, interacting with them, and feeding them. I have as well taken a great deal of pleasure sharing with Paul your kind mention of him.

Once again, thank you for staying with us, and we are hopping to welcoming you back to the jungle in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiang Saen
Serene at Chiangrai Hotel
#1 of 17 in Chiang Saen
Manee Dheva Resort & Spa
Gin's Maekhong View Resort & Spa

Been to Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle? Share your experiences!