“Memorable, personable experience at a fabulous property!”

Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Chiang Saen
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I spent three nights here on the second leg of our Thailand honeymoon in April 2013. First, let me say, I am not sure who "complains" about things at this property, but I would personally ignore them - they all need a dose of reality. Spending time at the tented camp is a special experience that, although shared by many, the staff really tries to make personal and memorable. Worth the extravagance. Am not sure I have much to offer beyond that of other reviewers, which have it pretty well covered, but here are my thoughts:

Arrival: The camp ensures your arrival at the airport to your arrival at the camp is pleasant and seamless. As described by others, they pick you up in an luxury, air conditioned vehicle, and it is about an hour drive to the camp, where you are taken by longtail boat to the property. There are welcome drinks for you on arrival and the scenery is unbelievable.

Rooms: The tents are fabulous. I am pretty sure housekeeping cleans them 5 times a day. Down to the tinest details, I was completely impressed. Outdoor shower was a favorite. Reviewers have complained about having to zip in and zip out to get into the shower and bathroom, but you are in a luxury TENT in the jungle, people. Minor inconvenience. The bed was very comfortable, and it was really nice having the outdoor lounge area overlooking the jungle. The minibar is well stocked and one of my favorite things was the fresh cookies - so delicious.

Food/drink: I cannot tell you how wonderful the food is. I literally still wake up in the middle of the night a year later and dreaming about the pad see ew I ate for lunch one day. They have both more American-ized and Thai options and they grow a lot of the fruits and vegetables in an organic garden located on the property. I wish we would have stayed another night just so I could eat more. We also partook in the wine / cheese tasting you can do nightly at your leisure in the wine cellar. They make the most wonderful cocktails and infusions and drinks at the Burma Bar each night to watch the sunset is a special experience - it is an opportunity to get to know the other guests (there aren't that many of you) and just feels very intimate and special. You can eat whenever you want so you are never on a schedule. We did a private dinner at the elephant camp one night, which I highly recommend. They sit down with you earlier in the day to plan the menu to your desires and it is just a really special experience (you are greeted by the elephants, serenaded by local musicians, waited on hand and foot, etc.).

Experiences: The best way to approach the experiences at the camp is to take a "choose your own adventure" approach. The camp will plan daily morning and afternoon activities for you, but feel free to skip them. Personally, I would recommend not doing the activities other than anything involving the elephants and doing the longtail boat ride down the Mekhong River. We went to the Hall of Opium which was pretty much the most depressing thing ever, and did not go to the local markets on the recommendation of some other guests (most were put off by the smells and haggling). The camp is trying to support local tourism, which I respect, but the camp is so lovely, why leave! In addition to seeing the baby elephants at breakfast, we had a great day training and riding. Am sorry to those guests that felt it was too "Disney" like but I don't get many opportunities to ride elephants in my everyday existence and thought it was pretty cool. Maybe I am just easily impressed. But it was certainly an experience for me and I love the photos and memories we have from it. The story of the elephants is very heartwarming, and we spoke to several guests who were at the camp for a repeat visit and it is pretty neat that you can come back and ride "your" elephant several years later. Other reviewers complained about the elephants that roam on the property being chained - the chains are very long and necessary to keep the elephants from running off to Burma where the camp can't get them back so I didn't take issue with it...made perfect sense to me.

Spa: We chose to do our massages at the spa, which is a very long walk as a heads up, but a pleasant one. What a great massage...I fell asleep and woke up to my technician gently braiding my hair. So lovely. Like a dream.

Service: By my estimates, there are about 5 staff members to every guest at the camp. You will not feel more taken care of anywhere. Everyone is always smiling and knows your name and just seems really happy to be working there. What a nice group of people.

In summary, I am just really sad that I likely won't have an opportunity to visit this property again for some time - but look forward to when we can once again find the time to travel halfway across the world and I would love to go back. As noted, we stayed 3 nights, but I think 4 nights would have been the perfect amount. Everywhere else has paled in comparison since but you just have to section it off as a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I have been on safari in South Africa and it is very similar in its uniqueness but different in that it is much more relaxed and the experience is distinctly Asian. A heartfelt thanks to everyone at the camp who made our honeymoon incredibly special!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank amznyc
Ali M, Camp Manager at Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you for such detailed and thoughtful review. I do really appreciate you taking the time to share with us your experience at the magical tented camp. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us and privileged that you think the Tented Camp is fabulous property with memorable and personable experience.

The team will be delighted to hear your feedback and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

OMG...where do I start?? Amazing? Mind blowing? Joyful? Adventure? Just... please come here. It's amazing. I read some of the 4 star reviews and was quite sad because I'm not sure why every review wasn't 5-stars and why everyone wasn't obsessed with this place like I was.

To start, this place is maximum luxury with a flair of adventure. If you're prissy like Paris Hilton- it might not be for you. I actually saw a couple that didn't want anything to do with the elephants. You get to ride elephants here and they didn't even want to pet them-- why come to tented camp?? She got mad when she got wet when she was bathing the elephants. You are bathing an giant elephant! I was mind blown!

Yes, it is a pricer resort, but you're not staying at the holiday inn. It's a elephant sanctuary/research camp. There are 4 elephants that live at the Tented Camp at all times and another 80+ that stay at the research center. Plus it's the Four Seasons. It's all inclusive. You ride elephants...yes, of course it is expensive. However, there is no other hotel/resort like this. You learn how to be a mahout (elephant trainer). You bathe them in the river that separates you from Burma to Thailand. The personal touches are AMAZING. Not to give everything away, but they printed postcards of you riding the elephants so you can send them to you family. Every employee signed a card for us, wishing us a happy honeymoon. Welcoming flowers, more welcoming flowers in the room- we were bombarded with flowers! :)

So my husband and I came here for our honeymoon and we loved every single minute of it. Out of every place we have ever stayed- this is our favorite. We came here on a recommendation of some friends. They have traveled the world and this resort came in a close 2nd of top favorites. #1 was an African Safari they went on the year before. The mahoots (elephant trainers) are so amazing. Go to the bar and order a lychee martini (mine) and a lemongrass martini (my husband's fav) from our friend Tom, who mans the bar every night. The record is 8 martini in one night, I might add!

We ended up doing the breakfast with the elephants every am, sunset at the Burma Bar every night, the elephant training one day, Opium Museum (which was one of the best museums we've been too. A little dated yes, but explains why China is the way they are now), trip to Burma- temples where we got to release our own sparrows, river tour and sunrise elephant tour. Defiantly do the sunrise tour (buy some bags of sunflower seeds from the local market). ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

In the end, our friends and family hate us. Their hearts have filled with jealousy. They nearly died when they saw all of our pictures and heard about our amazing stories. My husband's brother and wife went to Thailand a few years ago/rode elephants with another hotel, but honestly they just didn't have the same magical experience as we did. They felt like tourist who were going to a circus attraction. We felt like apart of this entire experience. This is a once in a lifetime trip and was worth every penny we spent. The tented camp exceeded every expectation I had. I'm not sure how I'm going to stay in any other hotel because I was spoiled rotten by coming here.

Ps- It's freaking hot in Thailand- esp in the mountains of Thailand in April. Note to yourself, it's best to come in Nov/Dec/Jan and not mid April like we did. :)

Room Tip: There are only 15 rooms, but we stayed in the "basket tent" #8 which came with your own o...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Han S
Ali M, Camp Manager at Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for such a “Joyful " review. I am very happy to see how much you have enjoyed your stay with us, and you liked your very special experience with our gentle giants. I have taken the liberty of sharing your very thoughtful comments with our Mahouts and Tom, who were very happy to learn how much they were able to provide you with an exceptional life time experience.
Once again, thank you for spending your honeymoon with us at the jungle, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

As you might be well aware, I am the happiest when I get a honeymoon request from my clients. Hence my favorite part of my job is to travel to unique destinations to get explore the new trends, top hotels and local cuisine.

When I got engaged last year my goal immediately was to plan the ultimate honeymoon. Therefore, after carefully selecting my favorite destinations I started the search for the most romantic hotels in those locations. It took me almost a year to narrow my list down to three, so without further a due here are the three most romantic, luxurious and unique properties on planet Earth.

We were 36 hours in and our honeymoon seemed more like a marathon than an actual honeymoon. As we got off our Thai Airways flight in Chiang Rai our heads were still spinning from the fact that:

1. We were now married.

2. We had had the most spectacular wedding.

3. We had seen 600 loved ones in one night.

4. We were now half way around the world about to experience the most extraordinary two-week honeymoon ever planned.

As we got off the plane we were greeted perhaps by the happiest person in Thailand, Tai Yo. Everything we said was met with a hearty laugh. It was the kind of laugh that you envy when you hear it, making our one-hour car ride to the Ruak river fly by. Afterwards my husband and I boarded a traditional long boat for the final stretch to reach the long awaited Four Seasons Tented Camp.

As the ranger steered the boat, the crisp and fresh air caressing my face was the instant shot of adrenaline I needed. The lush tropical beauty, the raw wildlife, and location were surreal. We were in the heart of the Golden Triangle where we could see three counties at the same time: Laos, Thailand and Myanmar. In addition, the idea of being in the epicenter of the Opium War was unreal.

Half way into the boat ride, I thought to myself the trip couldn’t get any better than this, that is, until we arrived to the camp. “Ok”, I thought, now I have seen it all. The mix of Swiss family Robinson style with an African flair left me speechless, to the point that when the manager came to introduce himself, I just smiled and said nothing. Thankfully I have a husband that loves conversation, therefore acting as my assistant was a no-brainer as he began telling him all about Posh Voyage.

The bar, lobby, restaurant, library and wine cellar were all outdoors perched on a hill overlooking the Golden Triangle. Consequently, I sat down to take everything in. I got pampered with a fresh cold towel, warm tea and traditional Thai snacks. Everything was great until it became perfect thanks to two giant, hairy, adorable 14-year-old elephants standing behind us. Of course, every time I thought this could not get any better, it did.

It was time to go to our room! We began the 10 minute uphill trek, crossed a suspension bridge, passed by the elephant reserve and there it was, our tent.

At the Tented Camp, hotel rooms are a thing of the past. Here, luxury tents rule. With just 15 tents decorated with handcrafted furniture, outdoor showers, a Jacuzzi, mosquito nets and a hand-hammered copper bathtub, we saw ‘camping’ in a whole new light.

During our stay at the Four Seasons Tented Camp, we never ran out of activities. Whether we were on an elephant trek in the bamboo forests, floating down the Mekong River, spending a day at the open-air spa or exploring the village market, the days flew by. And at night, we indulged in regional specialties at the Nong Yao restaurant, where hurricane lights created the perfect ambiance. Simple dishes like curry’s, papaya salad and friend rice were perfection.

Finally, our “thing” was to head over to the Burma Bar after dinner, order a Bloody Mary and a Lemongrass Martini, and sit next to the fireplace while playing cards. Our game only lasted five minutes max, since I was always losing. I hate losing, so naturally I would throw the cards on the floor and pretend nothing happened. The best part about the bar is that they refuse to play music, believing the sounds of nature make for a more beautiful melody.

Room Tip: Deluxe Tent with a jacuzzi outside
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PoshVoyageConcierge

Thank you so much for such detailed and thoughtful review. Once again, a heartfelt congratulation on your honeymoon, and we feel much honored having been selected by you among 100 other destinations to be the perfect spot for your honeymoon trip.

It was great pleasure having you with us, and we are all thrilled that we managed to meet your expectations, and provided you with a life time experience at our magical camp.

Once again, thank you for staying with us, and we are looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This was the last stop of what it was a three weeks tour of Indochina designed for us by A&K London.
The choice they’ve made to end our trip here was excellent!
It’s a very special experience and we have enjoyed every moment of it.
First there are the accommodations, in tents randomly scattered through the jungle, along a discrete winding path, taking one even over a ravine on a suspended Indiana Jones style mock “bamboo bridge” (actually very safe and sustained by steel cables).
Now, the tents, built on platforms and “hooked” on a steep hill side (but don’t worry: there is no climbing involved!), are far from each other offering total privacy and superb views of the river and the elephant paths and planes from above and fully equipped for 5 star living but constantly hinting that adventure and colonial spirit and feeling. Very “African safari” if you wish, complete with the outdoor shower and faucet handles made of horns.
Then, there are the elephants. You’ll have here a true close encounter with these beautiful animals, closer than you will probably ever have, except if you really get in trouble while on a safari. You get to mount them, ride them and order them around like a real mahout and it’s safe for both you and the elephants. You even get to have breakfast with them! One may have a sunrise ride and even an elephant bath experience.
And last it’s the Golden Triangle, with its super fast speedboats, its strange and battled history and the optional day trip to Burma (Today’s Myanmar), which reminds you how lucky you are.
The camp staff is treating everyone like a VIP, the resident manager, Mr. Ali Muhammad, is always mingling with the guests to make sure everyone is happy, the mahout supervisor is kind and helpful and reassuring, the jungle secluded spa has an array of massages (recommended after riding an elephant for an hour) and if you take a trip in the surrounding area to see the interesting hill tribes use the services of Somkid. He’s funny and helpful and knows everyone around.
All in all a very rewarding experience!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind review and for sharing with us your very special experience at the magical tented camp. I am very happy to see how much you liked the camp set up and all the services offered. It was a great pleasure having you with us. The whole entire camp team was very happy to read your review. As well, I have taken the liberty to share with the Mahouts and Somkid your kind compliment of them.

It was a complete pleasure having you with us, and again, thank you so much for staying with us and for writing such great review.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Spent two and a half days in this elephant paradise. Time with the elephants was of course the highlight but there are other parts most visitors miss. Our favorite thing to do (beside riding the elephants into the Mekong to bathe and up to the top of the hills to watch the sun rise) was a herbal walk. It is inclusive in the price but you have to ask for it. Then one of the chefs and another guide took us on a walk near elephant camp where they taught us all about the various edible plants found there. They had us hand pick our edible ferns and flowers which they took back to the kitchen and created a beautiful, delicious and unique meal just for us!
Another spot that seems to be overlooked is the wine cellar. At 5pm you can visit the wine cellar for a wine and cheese tasting.
I can't say enough about how friendly the staff was, how beautiful the scenery was, how unique the camp was and how special the elephants were.
The food was excellent (ask for recommendations) with our favorite being the yellow curry and chicken dish for lunch , the soft shelled crab and the lamb chops at dinner.
ALSO, I had my birthday while there and they treated me like royalty all day long...best birthday ever!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and for sharing with us how much you enjoyed your stay with at our magical jungle. I am very happy to learn that you have loved your interaction with the gentle giants, the tents and the food, and that your birthday celebration was very special.

Once again, thank you for the review, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We spent 4 days at the tented camp. There is very little to complain about other than the outrageous prices. Yes it's all inclusive, but the boat is not comfortable at all. The side trips are BS. The spa was average and the food mediocre. I got tired of the same lunch options. The staff deserve an a plus

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Foodjunkie712
Ali M, Camp Manager at Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry to hear that you did not feel the Camp offers a good value for money, and your overall experience was close to average.

We do offer wide varieties of both Western and Thai cuisines for breakfast and lunch, as well 2 set menus for dinner (one Thai and one Western) that we change every night. In addition, all our guests are welcomed to ask for any additional dish, even if it is not included in the menus. As for the trips, they are very relevant to the Golden Triangle area and the Northern Thailand, and they are meant to give the guests a good feel of the region and the history.
Once again, I am sorry if the food, the trips and the Spa were a let down for you, and we will certainly look into how we can further improve our current services to better serve you and our guests in the future.

Thank you for staying with us, and please accept my sincere apology for any disappointment.

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent three wonderful nights at the tented camp and we were absolutely thrilled from start to finish. The staff, accommodation, transport, facilities, location and food (so good) was all way beyond our expectations. Upon arrival the staff greet you by saying, "welcome to the jungle" and from that point on your experience begins. With only 15 tents, privacy is assured. All tents are beautifully appointed and offer all the modern amenities you could possibly need during your stay. Best part of all - no TV's! We were so impressed with the flow and organization of the activities which are all included with your stay. The elephant training and trek was certainly the highlight of our stay. Other activities include a 90min spa treatment. We enjoyed this too because of the unique setting of the massage huts. They are perched on a ravine overlooking the jungle offering complete privacy and serenity - spectacular! There is also a visit to a local market, temple, Island on Laos, and opium museum.
Feel free to contact me if you have any other specific questions, I would be delighted to try and answer them for you.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dutchhouse

Thank you for such a nice review and I am so thrilled to see how much you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad that we were able to exceed your expectations, and we have met all your needs. It is great to see that you have liked all the Camp facilities and you did enjoy your one of a kind interaction with our Gentle Giants.

Once again, thank you for staying with us, and we are all looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chiang Saen
The Imperial Golden Triangle Resort
Viang Yonok Hotel, Restaurant, Sports Club
Phu Chaisai Mountain Resort
Anantara Golden Triangle Elephant Camp & Resort
Gin's Maekhong View Resort & Spa
Manee Dheva Resort & Spa

Been to Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle? Share your experiences!