“Great Beach/Snorkel Break”
Review of Tequila Beach Club

Tequila Beach Club
Ranked #11 of 27 things to do in Chetumal
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer tours and excursions at the newly rebuilt Costa Maya Port in Mexico. Whether you arrive by cruise ship or make your own way to the fishing village of Mahahual (ma-ha-wall) an incredible and magical experience will be waiting for you.
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We found the Tequila Beach tour booth just outside the Cruise Port area at the tour booths to the left of the taxi stand. We were looking for a $20 boat snorkel trip but found this one for $25 that included a beach lounge chair with umbrella and kayak for the whole day. It was a great buy. It was located at Taxi Stop #1. Some people there just bought the beach break for $15 because there was good snorkeling off the beach.. Some bought the open bar package. This beach is far away from the downtown madness. It was very quiet and uncrowded. Charly was there to make sure we had everything we needed.

The boat was the usual snorkeling skiff with a boat operator and a snorkel guide. Two other couples went out with us. Our guide took us to a beautiful reef and accompanied us pulling a life ring. He made sure we saw lots of sea life such as a sting ray, a sea turtle, a star fish, and many colorful fish.. I was very pleased with this snorkel trip and I am a very experienced snorkeler..

The beach was so nice we ended up staying all day so we bought a delicious, large grilled hamburger and French fries big enough for both of us for $10.. We weren't bothered by many vendors but the few there accepted our decline and moved on. A massage was available for $25.

This was the perfect day in Costa Maya.

7  Thank getupgonow

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Costa Maya was the last stop on my boyfriend's and my first ever cruise. After much convincing a representative at the port area convinced us to spend $35 per person for open bar and transportation to their beach club. The guy at the port was very friendly I think his name was Ivan. We did have to pay $5 for transportation to the beach. We were told this would cover round trip, but we later found out that wasn't true. The beach club wasn't super impressive. It's on a strip of beach with many different beach clubs all in a row. This one definitely wasn't the nicest of clubs out there. Our waiter Sergio really took care of us. He did a great job. The beach isn't that pretty where we were. I understand that the club can't help this. That's just an observation. The drinks we're definitely weak. We did resort to ordering tequila shots, but these are smaller than medicine measuring cups. I by no means even came close to reaching the $35 worth of alcohol I paid for though. We ordered food and it was just so-so. The steak was pretty tough on our quesadilla. On our way out we decided to grab one more drink for the road. We went inside to the bar for this. When we ordered the bartender pointed to his tip jar and said something about us tipping him. He hadn't even started making the drinks or anything. He just assumed we wouldn't too or something. He was extremely rude. We'd already tipped our server very well. We did not tip after the comment he made and he refused to give both of us a drink on the way out. He only made one margarita for my bf. thanks for promising open bar and then making my last day at a port a bad one.

4  Thank Rchl4dm
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We only had 4 hours at shore as part of the Disney Cruise and didnt want to spend a fortune on excursions. So we just played it be ear and hopped in a taxi when we got to shore. We knew this was a risk, but thought we'd take a chance. We had a great time on the beach! It was low key, no frills but clean rest rooms and great local food. The kids enjoyed the kayaks and we all had a great lunch - the ceviche was delish! The service was great and the family felt safe.

1  Thank Amyjharrison
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

I always have a great time at Tequila Beach. The crowd doesn't get out until quite late bit the drinks are cheap and you can sit and relax or get up and dance the night away.

1  Thank NobleKHL
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Lots of negatives?? When my cruise docked at Costa Maya we had nothing booked. We were approached with the all inclusive pkg for around $30 (few years back) and went for it. Decent beach, beautiful water (a little seagrass), hot sun, Nachos, Quesadillas and a steady supply of Cervezas and Margaritas. Great time!! It's an old Mexican village. Quaint, rustic with nice people. If that warrants a poor rating, maybe you should go to West Palm Beach. This area could become a gold mine.

4  Thank Voodoo7777