“Need an upgrade”

Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Chetumal
Belize
“Need an upgrade”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Came in very late and settle here. The first room had a noisy A/C and broken shower drain. Asked for another room with an A/C that worked but was semi-clean, leaky toilet and needed major renovation. Will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed 18 February 2014

we were up and down looking for a cheap room with a swimming pool for the kids (yea i know right!) but each place we checked was either too pricey or booked. thats when we ran into our knight and shinning armor, El Prinincipe ;) lol The hotel is ok, don't expect a 5 star for the price to pay.. maybe 1/2 a star but hey! it has a pool! THANK YOU EL PRINCIPE! :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Belmopan, Cayo, Belize
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

An adventurous stay. We were given room 411, which turned out to be the worst room in this already very bad hotel. There was mold on the ceiling and the doors because of water that came in through the roof. They haven't opened a window or the door since days so the mold was all over in the air and the ac. I knew there were other rooms since I saw the list at the desk so I called the receptionist but she said she had no other room available for us. Since it was already around midnight when we arrived and we had already paid more than 500 pesos we stayed in that room and tried to sleep with an open window. The air and curtain was so dirty that we could not close it. The next day we found that the toilet did not work either. There was also some kind of animal in the ceiling that hopped away when we opened the bathroom door. There was grease on the tv and stains on the beds and bed sheets. In light of all this we really did not worry that there was no warm water. In the morning we saw other rooms which at least had clean air to breath and would indeed have been available. the receptionist was not really impressed or tried to apologize when we told her about the issues with the room again in the morning. She told us we could get breakfast in the restaurant and so we went to at least get some value back - just to find out that they wanted us to pay another 200 pesos for that. I did not give in and we left this place fast without looking back.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Chetumal hotels

Belize City, Belize
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Well, where do I start... I have stayed at Hotel Principe on roughly 3 separate occasions and I must say, they got me as their long term customer. Although the rooms are not impeccable, I must say the staff are all VERY HELPFUL! Which definitely makes the experience Great and the price is great also! On one occasion my girl friends and I were having a night out and my friend who was recently engaged (1 day) dropped her ring in the sink!!! and one movement it was going to fall in the sink. As soon as we called the receptionist, their team responded quickly! On another instance, I locked my keys in my vehicle! and I had no spare key on me. this was around 2 a.m. after clubbing. I asked the receptionist to please call a locksmith early "Sunday Morning". She told me everyone was closed, but, she will try her best in getting one for me. And guess what? she surely found one for me! Hence, due to my experience I have no other option but, to rate them highly. Service is important and also we need to keep in mind that when we are reviewing a hotel etc. to rate them according to their appropriate classification. I can't expect to pay low price and get a 5 star hotel, that is impossible. It is about getting your money's worth. And for their classification which is a low cost hotel, in a good location they have exceeded expectation. Great job principe Staff! :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank amielen
Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Just awful. They couldnt find our reservation first, and had to wait an hour for them to find out. The hotel is Noisy, dirty, small, unconfortable... Pool seemed really disgusting. I would never, ever, stay there again. Better to sleep in the car or not at all...

Stayed March 2012
Brisbane
Reviewed 5 January 2013

The rooms are basic, we only stayed overnight but the staff were super helpful with us non English speakers. The air con is very noisy so it's either cool and noisy or hot but quiet. It's a little bit of a walk to get to the main part of town but we don't mind walking.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Overall a nice stay for a missions trip. No wash cloths or shower mats but it is Mexico . Be careful of the shower water, ours was hot enough to kill!! You have to turn the knob several times to get the water to come on.
TV was OK but no remote. Ac did have a remote and worked great.

Room Tip: There are 2 buildings with rooms and the one building at the lobby can have poolside rooms if you wa...