“Our favorite place: Beautiful location, fantastic host, and gourmet meals.”
Review of Hotel Casablanca

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barahona
Hotel Casablanca
Ranked #2 of 15 Barahona B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2011

After staying at Hotel Casablanca, my wife and I always compare other hotels to this exceptional place. It will forever be remembered as one of our favorite hotels. These are strong words, but places like this are few and far between. Susanna, the owner, is an amazing person and an outstanding host. She warmly welcomed us and made us feel like guests in her own home throughout our stay. The rooms are clean, comfortable, airy, and personalized with Susanna's creative touches. A beautiful garden provides shade to read or a spot to enjoy the stunning view of the ocean. Last but not least, the food! Susanna's cooking is unforgettable! After living in and traveling around the DR, we feel that we can say with some authority that her food is the best you will find in the country. We loved how guests are served dinner at one table. This turned the meal into a cozy dinner party and we had so much fun with Susanna and the other guests. We would like to just move in and stay there for the duration of our stay here in the DR, but since we cannot, we are already looking forward to our next visit with Susanna at Casablanca.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 January 2011

The view from the hotel is marvelous, the food is fabulous, and the personal attention from the owner, Susanna Knapp is incredible. The hotel is small and very peaceful. The owner is an excellent host. I felt like I was a guest at a friend's house by the sea instead of a hotel. The hotel is situated by a cream colored cliff with a great view of the sea. The patio and gardens are a great place to relax and enjoy a cold drink after a day of sightseeing. Do not even consider going anywhere else for dinner. The owner, Suasanna Knapp is a fantastic chef. Dinner was absolutely delicious! I would love for her to move to the United States and open a restaurant in my town. The dining area and adjacent patio was very cozy and relaxing. After dinner, she inquired if I wanted a drink but I already had a large beer before dinner so I declined. Nevertheless, she poured me a glass of rum, which was very good and on the house. She treats you like a guest in her own house. My room was very large and had a circulating fan. Breakfast, which is included in the price of the room, was just as excellent as dinner. An assortment of home made breads, cereal, meats, juices, tea, and eggs, which are made to your order, was provided in ample supply. The coffee was made to perfection and very good.
Her friendliness and helpfulness was tested in a most unusual way. I was travelling solo during this trip and I had an accident while hiking a few miles away from the hotel. My ankle was broken. I was taken to a local hospital where Susanna met me in the emergency room. She stayed with me the the entire time even during the procedure. She went to the pharmacy and the bank for me and drove me back to the hotel. She arranged for a flight back to the United States, made arrangements for the return of the rental car, transportation back to Santa Domingo, and called the American Embassy to inform my spouse at home of the accident. I was treated as if I was a guest in a friend's house who had an unfortunate accident rather than a guest at a hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to the Dominican Republic. This is a true gem and a great value.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2011

Spectacular location on top of a cliff, incredibly peaceful atmosphere and a great base for exploring the attractions of the far west. But the best was the a great hospitality of Susanna, an amazing lady and her cuisine is out of this world...I am still dreaming of her passionfruit ceviche!!!!
All togehter a wonderful experience and a huge surprise to find such a place in this turistically underdeveloped region.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I stayed here 2 nights in December, and that was definitely not enough. Everything about Susanna and Hotel Casablanca is Very Special!

This hotel has such a unique and sophisticated vibe, yet unpretentious and peaceful. The property is lovely and the surrounding land/beach/cliff/green is incredible.

Susanna is an amazing cook as well! wow! I will definitely return.

Thanks so much for the fabulous few days!
Happy New Year! See you again,
Monica :)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 December 2010

Although a few kilometers out of town this place is definetly worth to stay in. Susanna, the owner, is an exceptional host & cook. We felt at home already at the arrival. The rooms are very well furnished, with a nice touch of carribean style. They are spotlessly clean, as are the community areas (dining room, terrace...) also. A special experience is the food. Be it breakfast or dinner, you are always asked about your wishes and preferences. The meals are always prepared fresh, served with style an very tasty. Forget eating out in town. For those who like enjoying the sun, there is an almost private beach a 5 minute walk away. For the adventureus ones, Susanna has good connections with the Ecotour Barahona company, who can organize good trips around the peninsula.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2010

My husband and I had a chance to stay with the lovely Susanna at Hotel Casablanca (Campo el Suizo) in July while exploring the south west part of the Dominican. The hotel is located in a cliff with spectacular views over the Caribbean. Susanna is as friendly as can be, and very knowledgeable about the area. She graciously sat down with us as soon as we arrived and we chatted and she gave us great advice on the area.

The rooms are basic but incredibly clean. There was both a ceiling fan and an oscillating fan in our room, but no AC. Most of the time it was not too warm, but in the July heat it wasn't particularly cool either. The water temperature (as it seems to be in most of the Dominican outside of the large resorts) we couldn't control, but it was refreshingly luke warm in both the shower and bathroom sink.

The grounds are spectacular, and the garden is a really nice place to sit down, have a drink and relax. There are stairs going down to the ocean into a little bay where you can swim, although the water is a little rough. There is a calmer place further south but we didn't go.

Breakfast (complimentary) was great, however Susanna's dinners (additional charge) are not to be missed. For breakfast there was lots of fresh fruit, fresh bread, swiss musli (unless you're gluten intolerant as I am), fresh juice and eggs. Dinner was a French affair with a little Dominican twist. Amazing fresh fish, cooked beautifully.

Bottom line is, if you're looking for basic accommodations with THE best service in the area Hotel Casablanca is it!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2010

What a wonderful find! My wife and I spent two nights in "Campo Suizo" and could not have been more pleased. The location of the hotel is absolutely breath-taking, atop a cliff overlooking a magnificent Caribbean seascape. The rooms and facilities were some of the cleanest and most well attended that we have seen anywhere. The owner, Susanna, and her staff were professional, warm and responsive to our every need. As mentioned in other reviews, the food was unbelievable! Our family is agreed -- our meals were some of the very best we have ever eaten. We plan to return to the Dominican Republic soon and have put the Hotel Casablanca on the top of our places to visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple