“Almost right for the price ...!”

Hotel Costa Larimar
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barahona
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We were on a family trip in the southwest of the island and decided to stay overnight at the hotel. Excellent care and service since we call 45 minutes before arrival. I found the price a little high, but the other option was to drive 3-4 hours on a dominican highway (8pm).
No hot water and the AC was not working properly. Breakfast was included but of very poor quality.
Recommended if you are just passing through. There are very few options in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank CARLOS D
There are newer reviews for Hotel Costa Larimar

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

This is a terrible hotel.
So old that nothing works properly, elevators cant shut the doors completely; air conditioning system does not work at all and they have installed individual old ones that make a tremendous noise throughout the night; staff is rude and the electricity power keeps going on and off, during my one night stay (there were suppose to be 3 night but I left) the power wento off for 1 hour and a half at 2 am leaving the complete hotel in the dark.
Internet does not work properly.
This hotel is a nightmare.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Lmiss
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I was driving pass the resort and noted that the Canadian flag was upside down. Most people from other countries may not know which way the red leaf is suppose to be positioned. I stopped and went into the beautiful lobby and through a Spanish interpretor was able to express my observation. We asked permission to view the resort and I was really impressed with how clean the place was. It is a beautiful location and I highly recommed it to Canadian travellers to Barahona. After my 14 minute tour I noted the Canadian flag was in it's proper position. I salute the effiency of management for the speed in correcting the issue, making me a proud Canadian.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank cdnjoe06
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel is right next to the beach and it's a very nice and pretty beach. My room was not bad, but the bathroom was not very clean. The beds were a bit on the uncomfortable side. The AC was super loud so maybe bring ear plugs if you're a light sleeper like me. Most importantly, make sure you spray mosquito/bug spray before going to bed!! I got about 5-7 mosquito bites in one night! Other than that, the hotel was very cute and it's definitely a nice hotel to stay at when you're in Barahona!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank azhang1027
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Don't expect a 5 star hotel and you won't be disappointed. Recently stayed there two nights. It is definitely the nicest place in Barahona and I'm thankful for it. Staff is friendly and attentive. Breakfast bar is good for the Dominican Republic. We wanted to eat dinner there as well but the music blaring in the restaurant made us decide to go elsewhere. It appears that after breakfast the restaurant caters to the local beer drinking scene with horrendously loud music. If you want peace and quiet you will have to go elsewhere. The shower was almost impossible to use. I think the mixing valve between the hot and cold water was messed up. Would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jerry B
Reviewed 21 November 2012

I have stayed here several times and always find it clean, modern, and the staff very helpful and pleasant. It is an American style hotel because it is owned by an American who spends a great deal of time and money making in modern and comfortable by those standards. Many of the medical teams in the area on missions stay here. There is security on duty at all times and the hotel feels very safe. It is on the Malecon and close to town. It also has a small beach area and a very nice modern pool. The bar and restaurant is open air and the food and drinks are reasonably priced and well prepared. There is a meeting room here and it's where the President of the couontry comes to meet with local officials each year. It's really the only hotel in this part of the country set up to for business travelers.

Room Tip: The tower rooms facing the pool have the best view and the bar is not too noisy at night except on h...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank NC7007
Reviewed 11 November 2012

A dozen years ago we had enjoyed dinners in the open air dining room of the Riviera, now called Costa Larimar. It was our heart's desire to stay here and enjoy a few days of visiting friends in Barahona. The hotel is older but well maintained. The lobby is newly redecorated and is beautiful. I will warn you: not ONE person on staff speaks any English. Although I speak some Spanish, I had to call a fluent friend to make our reservation. We went for the all-inclusive Breakfast and dinner. I would advise breakfast ONLY. The buffet for dinner was poor, and nothing like it was in 2000. I truly cannot recommend the lunch or dinner for the price they charge. Breakfast is good and the coffee is great. The servers are attentive and friendly. The staff is truly what made our stay enjoyable. Also, all inclusive does NOT include any drinks from the bar. You get coffee, water, and juice included. However, when we ordered Pina Coladas one afternoon the bartender showed up with a giant fresh pineapple in her arms and made the best Pina Collada ever (for about $4 american dollars.) The pool is cleaned every day, the laundry service is excellent, and the staff went out of their way to accomodate us. We requested a small refrigerator in our room and got one immediately. When the air conditioner did not work well, they brought a new one in and installed it. There is a generator for the power outages but it takes its toll on the air conditioners. So: great staff, big rooms, clean, and nice balcony. Quiet except for Friday night until 11. Good breakfast. Check out took 3 hours because it had rained the night before and the machine couldn't process our credit card. Fluent friends to the rescue finally got them to take our Traveler's checks. But yes, I would go back, it's still the best place in the Barahona area.

Room Tip: we loved our Room 1312, third floor, with a balcony and window in the large bathroom. This room was...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Charm B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barahona
Casa del Mar Lodge
#2 of 6 in Barahona
South Beach Hotel
South Beach Hotel
#2 of 3 in Paraiso

Been to Hotel Costa Larimar? Share your experiences!