“The only place for fine-dining in Cabarete”
Review of Otra Cosa

Otra Cosa
Ranked #35 of 141 Restaurants in Cabarete
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Caribbean, French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had a great dinner at Otra Cosa. The prices are rather high, compared to other DR-places, but it's worth it! This is the only place we found on our two-week stay in Cabarete that can be called fine-dining. The restaurant is beautifully set by the beach and has a relaxed but also exclusive feel to it. The staff is very professional and the food is excellent, compared to it's local competitors. If you wish to dine in a quiet area and spoil yourself with a very nice restaurant experience, this is the place to visit!

1  Thank Camilla F

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The setting at Otra Cosa is spectacular. Right on the water, tastefully decorated, a dreamy setting. The prices are comparable to NYC restaurants and they don't take credit cards (not customer-friendly), so you will need fist-fulls of cash. The food ranged between decent and very good, and given the ambiance, its definitely worth a visit. The most disappointing part of the visit was when I paid in a mix of pesos and dollars, they chased me down to get an extra $3 only because they were using an inferior exchange rate to EVERYONE else in town, and the $3 represented less than 1.5% of the total tab. Talk about nickle and diming your customers! Left a bad taste in my mouth.

1  Thank dutchsurf
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Thankfully someone who lives in Cabarete clued us into this spot. The food is delicious, the space is beautiful, and our waiter could not have been friendly. I wanted to offer him a seat at our table he was so nice and chatty.

Compared to other spots in town, this place is on the higher end of prices - but nothing too crazy (especially compared to NYC dining prices). They don't take credit cards, so come prepared with cash - that is the only watch out.

This spot needs to be higher on Trip Advisor for sure!

1  Thank Rena-on-the-Road
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Otra Cosa was recommended to us by a local business owner as her favorite restaurant in town, so we knew we had to check it out. It was our most expensive dinner during our week-long trip, but living in NYC it was affordable for the meal we enjoyed. The staff was wonderful, our waiter was so sweet and attentive, and the owner took the time to visit our table to ask how everything was. We asked what the top items on their menu was and ordered most of his recommendations - starting with a ceviche app and entrees of steak tips in a port wine and chili sauce and the mahi mahi in an amazing coconut curry sauce; all fantastic! It's super secluded, you likely wouldn't find it unless you were directed to it - walk down the path for the Supermercado Janet parking lot and it's down by the beach on the right. If you're looking for a romantic, relaxing, impeccable meal I would highly recommend you give them a visit (and bring a fair amount of cash, no cc accepted)

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had a delicious dinner where the service was a bit slow but worth the wait.
As previous reviewers mentioned this restaurant does not accept credit cards.
When the bill arrived I paid in dollars which when translated included a very generous tip. The owner approached me in a very awkward manner asking if I was ok with the bill. I told yes I was fine and he scuttled off like a mouse not giving any impression as to whether the tip was good or bad. Obviously this led to a debate at our table as his manner was rather bizarre so I approached him again asking if I had adequately tipped. He told me it was very good but in a very strange manner and certainly making me feel like something was wrong.
Anyhow it was a fine dinner but the owner is odd and took away from what would have been a great dinner