“Great Vacation!”

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Cabarete
New York City, New York
“Great Vacation!”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The staff at the hotel are extremely friendly and helpful. I stayed for 6 nights and I wasn't really in the hotel much since I booked a couple of excursions. Sergio assisted me with booking the Magic mushroom trip which was awesome! A must go for the adventurer. The location of the hotel is excellent. You are in the heart of cabarete without having to deal with the loud music. I love cabarete as I don't feel as if I am in one of those huge resorts. You are able to mingle with the locals and I personally enjoy that. The rooms are extremely clean as well as the rest of the hotel. I didn't give the hotel 5 stars for my only pet peeve was how hard the beds were. I guess people really don't go to sleep when in Cabarete. Despite not being all inclusive the hotel offers breakfast and food around the town as well as the hotel is not pricey. This was truly an inexpensive and fun vacation. The beach at night is gorgeous. I may make this my February break trip every year.

Additionally I visited Cayo levantado (Paradise Island) and the 27 Charcos ... I recommend these excursions, in all I had an awesome time. Sosua is nearby and I enjoyed snorkeling there as well. Rio San Juan is not far and offers some awesome activities as well.

Room Tip: There is not fitness center but almost everyone who goes to Cabarete is involved in some type of sur...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
East Sussex
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed for one night on our way from Las Galeras to our liveaboard boat (we were going swimming with whales on the Silverbank). I am probably not the best person to comment on a hotel like this because I prefer small quiet places. However, it was OK for a busy package style place on a beach. Cabarate is nicer than Sosua for a quick stopover, and it is fun to watch the kiteboarders snd wind surfers. Kids staying here seemed to be having a great time. The room was perfectly adequate, and the attached restaurant on the beach was also OK. We had a room facing the bar and were scared it was going to be noisy at night, but it wasn't. The beach is busy during the day but the restaurant is good for people watching. My husband did get a bad stomach upset after eating here and the loos next to the bar are pretty yucky. There are much nicer and quieter beaches in the DR, but this is a great place if you are a windsurfer or kiteboarder.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms actually look out over the small swimming pool and can be noisy.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sally W
new york
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The hotel was everything I hoped for; clean, comfortable, convenient to cabarete, etc etc. The maids swooped in like an army and cleaned the room quickly every morning. The hot water was strong and plentiful. The TV had lots of channels including about 5 in english: BBC, CNN, TNT, and the networks. There is a kite-boarding and wind surfing school on the premises, but I did not use them so I cannot comment. But here are a couple of comments/tips:

-the breakfast buffet option is overpriced and lousy. If you can get the plan without breakfast, walk right out the front door and turn left, and about a block down you can hang out at Friends Cafe, where the food is *way* better and cheaper. The atmosphere is breezy and light, and there is free wifi. The fruit smoothies are excellent, the pancakes (crepes, really) are good, and the Sancocho at lunch (meat and root-vegatable soup) is the best I have ever had, anywhere. In fact it was the best thing I ate in a week in the Dominican Republic. Simple, hearty "peasant" food. For about $5.

-my only complaint about the hotel is that they have a decent little bar/lounge on the beach, but they play annoying music, way too loud. Don't they realize that their bar is empty, and everyone goes to other lounges nearby? Why isn't that obvious to them? I am sure it is the sound system and the bartender's choice of music that is driving people away.

-The town out in front of the hotel and to the left is perfectly safe at any time, with banks, local restaurants, a couple of supermarkets, etc., but I am told by the locals: Do Not go out the front and turn right, at night. The adjacent property to the right is abandoned and is a haven for criminals, and muggings are not uncommon. That's the word on the street, anyway.

Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank keithk_nyc
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We loved this place!!! First, you don't have to be all inclusive so you can enjoy the little things about cabarete that make it so great. So breakfast isn't included, there's this thing called Mangu that is served across the street that you should have to start the day. You don't have a ton of peso or cash to cover your drinks and snacks while at the beach, start a tab with your card and sign for everything every nite. Dinner starts late on the beach strip, so grab a drink for happy hour and enjoy the affordable appetizer to tide you over when you get off the beach. Isaac and Jasmin are waiting on you all week with drinks or snacks at the bar so keep them close to you and order the rum drink the locals enjoy with ice. They have a yoga instructor that comes a couple time a week to give your girlfriend/wife a break to recenter herself. There is a person at the front desk "Sergio" that helps you book excursions and is nice, fair and knowledgeable, meet him the first day and let him take care of your big plans. Just go here, everything else will work out!

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor, bring your pillow and use the safe, no worries = good times!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I have been staying at the Villa Taina for over ten years. They are so professional and they keep the place in really good condition. The location is excellent and it is tucked away from the main drag so that you really get to enjoy the beach away from all of the chaos happening out front. Beds are pretty stiff, however, but that is personal preference. A really safe place.

Room Tip: You have to stay in the beach front building. If you are going near the rainy season get one of the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank alexzen
new york
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I stayed at Hotel Villa Taina for three days/nights in february 2012. I was booked for five nights (and payed for five) but decided to leave after three. The hotel was concerned when I left early (and of course w/o a refund) but as I told them I had no complaints about the hotel itself. (In fact they moved me to a quieter section of the hotel after I voiced my issue that my room was too close to screaming children at the pool). I simply did not care for Cabarete as much as Sosua and decided to stay my last two days there. Cabarete is fine during the day, there are many tourists, families, etc. but at night it is quite unlikeable. There is only one street, full of traffic by day and full of hustles and prostitutes by evening, both on the aggressive side. So I left early. If you are with a significant other or family and stay around your beach area- including this hotel- you will not have any problems with Cabarete.

Room Tip: If you don't want to hear screaming children all day long, request a room in the building that h...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank yuca35
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Villa Taina in mid-February 2012, and I gotta say, this place was perfect! The placement of the hotel on the beach was in the best spot to walk along the ocean to the other wonderful bars/restaurants nearby. Plus, if you walked out the front way you were right in the middle of town! The hotel bar had great 2-for-1 happy hour specials everyday and the staff couldn't have been friendlier. The restaurant was also top notch and a prime location for a nice dinner.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to travel to Cabarete, and we plan on returning next year and bringing friends with us!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cabarete
Casa Colonial Beach & Spa
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Viva Wyndham Tangerine
Viva Wyndham Tangerine
#6 of 20 in Cabarete

Been to Hotel Villa Taina? Share your experiences!