“So So. Please read!”
Review of Hotel Villa Taina

Hotel Villa Taina
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Cabarete
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I will start off by saying that I originally wanted to give the hotel 3 stars for their attempt in being called a hotel. I took off stars for certain things that anyone thinking about coming here should know. Everywhere you go they have the good and the bad, so let me start off with the good. For the price I paid, I think I got what I paid for. The staff is extremely nice, friendly and attentive. For instance, they recommended great places to eat. The bartender was also real nice and made great drinks. They had a fantastic 2x1 deal from 5-7pm. Additionally, the hotel is conveniently located in the center of Cabarete. The property is on the beach and is very quiet. Now for the bad. I got 3 rooms for the family and they were indeed comfortable except for minor details like I had to pay to upgrade to the "better" building which is not by the main road. Plus, I made reservations for 6 people in 2 rooms originally and had to get another room because there was no way 6 people would fit in 2 rooms. Also, they don't have basic necessities like beach towels. I had to give a deposit of $2000 pesos per room the equivalent of $50 per room for a towel? Come on! Additionally, the safe wasn't working in one of the rooms and I waited 40 minutes for them to resolve it. I'm on vacation! Hurry up! Lol. The following things made me give it 2 stars.... 1. They do not have an iron. 2. The MOST important reason I deducted stars was because I had 4 roaches in my bathroom 3. They do not have anyone at the reception area past 11pm so you don't have anyone to complain to or ask for an exterminator. 4. Room 104 smelled like mold and the balcony is infested with Mosquitos. We went to complain about the smell the first day and was told that the smell would go away because it was from the smell of fresh paint but it smelled like cheese, vinegar and paint all in one. Room 109 was freshly painted and the smell was toooo strong and one of the people in my my party is asthmatic and had trouble breathing in that room plus this is the room with the roach infestation.

My advice to you is to Make sure to check your luggage to ensure you aren't taking any creepy critters back with you and to be prepared to bring a bag for your dirty or wet clothes because they don't have any.

I have my doubts here. It's a hit or miss so good luck.

Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank yuyi23
Claudia S, Owner at Hotel Villa Taina, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Yuyi,

thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at our Hotel. We are sorry for the inconvenience you experienced and sincerely apologize.

Some of our rooms were recently renovated. We apologize for paint smell residue the person in your company was sensitive to.

Several of your complaints might have been based on a simple misunderstanding.

We would have appreciated if you had addressed some of your concerns directly with our staff and we would have gladly taken care of them or clarified them for you.

-Beach Towels are available for our Guests at our Reception desk, they can be exchanged any time for clean ones.
-Irons are available upon request, our housekeeping would have been happy to send it to your room. (Very few of our guests require irons for their beach vacation.)
-The Deposit of 50USD for your room incidentals or Minibar consumption is a usual requirement in case a credit card was not supplied.
-The Standard room category you reserved initially is only available for 2 persons. Our Comfort and Comfort Ocean category can be booked for up to 4 persons. This information is available on our Website or with your travel agent.
-The additional cost you mentioned is for an Ocean front side room and is not related in which building you are staying.
- We do have staff on site after 11 pm that is available to help you with your concerns.
- We are very meticulous on room hygiene and do have a bi-weekly professional service to take care of mosquitos or other bugs on the premises.

Again we extend our apologies for the inconveniences you may have experienced on our premises. In case you are in town during a next visit we would like to extend a cordial, complimentary invitation to join us for one of our theme nights at our Beach front Restaurant Serenade.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The rooms were clean, and tidy. But there is no parking, only 4 slots for the whole hotel, and no where else to park within 2 blocks. The location was perfect on the beach. We had 5 rooms in our group and the quality varied for the same prices. I would go again but check which room to have

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lisa w
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I think that my rating is closer to 3.5/5 but the fact that the our room was too noisy causes me to round down.
The positives first:
1. it's reasonably priced by Cabarete standards
2. Close to center
3. Has good wi-fi
4. Has a free library of DVD's
5. Spacious rooms

The negatives:
1. The hotel is spread across 2 buildings. The lower priced rooms are located in a building that's away from the beach.
2. The building that's away from the beach has windows facing the back road where noisy people and vehicles tend to be at odd hours.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yk13_nyc
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My husband and I make yearly trips to DR for Carnaval & visits to friends/family with a few days where we try to escape out to Cabarete to relax. Over the past years we have tried out a variety of other accommodations on the beach/area with Villa Taina being our favorite. Location is perfect for some quiet but also close enough to the action that a quick walk down the beach has you in the middle of things. The staff was always super helpful and more then accommodating when our room was delayed in being ready. Out of all the places we have stayed, our room 209 in the front ocean view building was really nice with modern amenities and look. (my only negative was for me, the bed was a little hard - but hey i'll take it over a positive experience with everything else!) The other guests were a nice mix of couples & families -Americans and also from all over Europe. My husband really enjoyed his sports massage in the spa while i took full advantage of the sunny beach and shady of the palms. The price was definitely right for room and if anything a steal! We will be visiting again very soon and hopefully bringing friends with us. :)

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for an ocean view room in the front building! We were on the second floor with a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heather C
Reviewed 17 March 2014

GREAT BANG FOR YOUR BUCK at Villa Taina. Staff is REALLY great - the restaurant food yummy and the beach fantastic! Rooms are kinda sparse, but we were rarely in it so no biggy. They have a really nice upper floor suite though that I would have booked if it were available. Perfectly placed on the end of the beach, so kind of quieter and relaxing. Fun to watch kite surfers doing their thing. Eat on the main street too - some awesome french and believe it or not, really good wood fired pizza joints (and that's from a Chicagoan Pizza fan). Eat breakfast at "Dicks" or at the French place "Friends" - just an awesome place to chill. Cabarete!

Room Tip: Choose upper floor level so you can have a balcony with a view of the ocean. Make sure you are in t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

As is the case with all the beach front hotels in cabarete, Villa Taina is situated right on the main north coast road. There are only 3 parking spaces outside so if you're driving you have to take your chances with the on street parking.This necessitated a prolonged manouvere into a small space guided by a passing local- more reserved parking offsite nearby would be a plus point for the hotel.

We were shown to our room which is in a separate block to reception, facing the beach with glimpsed sea view through the palm trees. The room was small , with not much storage for bags but well appointed and clean . It had a balcony overlooking the small pool. It's popular with watersports enthusiasts and has a relaxed bar and restaurant right on the beach. Buffet breakfast was included in the price and was ok though nothing to get too excited over. The hotel is at the quieter west end of the beach but about 5 minutes walk from most of the bars and restaurants .The receptionist was friendly and spoke passable English and helped us book bus tickets to Haiti. I was surprised however when she charged us for the call she made to the bus company in Santiago. In summary, it's clean and laid back and on the beach. Drawbacks are smallish rooms for the price and limited parking.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LS13
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at the Villa Taina for Christmas vacation 2013. The hotel is right on the beach with plenty of chairs put out daily for hotel guest use. We went in the ocean every day. The water is warm and the waves are fun. We could sit for hours and watch the hundred or so kite surfers directly in front of the hotel. The beach is beautiful and you can walk for miles. There are several restaurants and bars walking distance. We ate mostly at the hotel because the food was better than any of the restaurants we tried. We only went to other restaurants to watch football or to Gorditos for lunch (like Chipotle). You have to try the Mongolian night at Villa Taina. I think it is on Wednesday. It is all you can eat. You pick your meat, vegetables, sauce and the chef cooks it right there for you. Our kids loved it. The dessert was great. We tried every one. The staff was friendly and attentive. I also went to the spa three times. A facial, massage and manicure is only $90 US dollars. I wanted to take the mass home with me. She was so wonderful. We would go back for sure

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family