Barefoot Beach Pad
Kite Beach Hotel(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$312
US$302
Hotels.com
Velero Beach Resort(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$94
Hotel Alegria(Cabarete)(Great Value!)
Sea Horse Ranch(Cabarete)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsocean frontsmall hotelmin walkhectorbentaxibeachvacationjanetmotosupermarkethorses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Positive:
- direct, beautiful beach location
- one of the most beautiful beaches of Cabarete (we were on each day, the only ones around)
- service in all areas very committes and very personal - super!
- pool bar offers a few simple, but freshly and lovingly prepared, delicious breakfast/meals all day long (with special praise to Andres, the chef, bartender and maid of all work!)
- well maintained small complex with only 10 units
- WLAN for free, but slow and not everywhere
- no families with children, so very quiet and peaceful

Not so great:
- Cleaning is good, but not to the very last corners
- very few shelves, hooks, so staying for two weeks makes you improvise
- Google Maps entry is incorrect, the house is another 2 km outside and the road is an absolute imposition (loud motorbikes, fast driving, horrible fumes, dangerous) - we always walked daytimes in the light along the beach to Cabarete and restaurants (40 mins) and took a taxi (7,-) back at dark
- we felt more comfortable at night, when there was a security gard, which wasn´t all nights...

Conclusion:
Of course there is always something to complain about, if searching for something - but you need to compare the price in this place with others.
For us, the price-performance ratio was very good!
An absolute must for independent travelers, who, like us, want to avoid the large resorts, and want to experience something of the country and their people.
As with any travel abroad, language skills (here: Spanish & English) is an advantage and open many doors (especially with Spanish).
Walking the beach is just wonderful at Barefoot Beach Pad in Cabarete and we really miss that already...
(Sorry about my English, regards from Germany)

Room Tip: Book directly with the hotel and ask for best rate
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zugereist
Reviewed 3 April 2011

I traveled in March to Puerto Plata and chose this hotel because of the great reviews and because it was near to the area of Caberete but not right on top of the city. I loved the tranquility of the location. Walking into town via the beach (about 30 minutes) was relaxing and I did this several times without any problems. The area has a great breeze off the ocean, so the walk is not oppressively hot.

The hotel has nice rooms; some with full kitchens. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. I would only ask for a luggage rack/stand so as to not have to place my luggage on the floor (it's so much easier not having to bend down to get all you need out of your suitcase!). The bathroom was huge and the water in the shower was immediately hot and with good pressure. Because of the breeze there were little to no bugs (I saw none) and it was great to have the room windows open all night and listen to the big waves crashing against the shore. All the rooms had balconies; many with a direct ocean view.
The pool area was spacious enough for the number of guests and perfect for a cool off after a nice day in the sun.

Hector , the manager, was nothing short of gracious. Upon my (unexpected) late arrival, he phoned to welcome me and made sure I was taken care of by Andre (grounds keeper and cook) before turning in for the night. I don't speak any Spanish, but this really wasn't a problem because Hector readily translated what I needed to Andre. In the short time I stayed at this hotel, I felt like I met some really great people (Hector, Andre, Andrea) who I wouldn't hesitate to invite into my home.

Because the hotel is small, all the guests tend to talk to each other, which is really nice; it gives it a bit of a family feeling.

There is a small eating area with a bar where guests can have their meals or a cold beer anytime of the day. Other drinks are served as well and coffee is free all day.
The hotel grill/outside mini restaurant menu is adequate and if you don't see something you would like on the menu, just ask and they will work hard to accomodate you.

There are lots more things I could say about Barefoot Beach Pad, but the bottom line is if you are looking for a quiet retreat with your own private beach and a room the size of an apartment, look no further as you will find it at Barefoot Beach Pad.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank MzTngsallyforth
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Every review was accurate. Hector is wonderful. 30 minute walk to Cabarete along the beach. My daughter and I enjoyed the breakfast at the breakfast bar right next to the beach. We enjoyed the free internet from our balcony overlooking the beautiful pool. We also enjoyed talking to the other hotel guests who were introduced to us by name at breakfast. Perfect stay.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2011

If you are looking for a relaxing beach vacation in the Dominican Republic this is a wonderful place to start. My husband and I just returned from Barefoot where we spent a week, we are already planning our return and have recommended it to our family and friends. Hector, Andre and Andrea have done a fantastic job of ensuring that everyone and everything is taken care of. A helpful, friendly manager-done! delicious food -done! spotless rooms and grounds-done! It was perfect for us - thank you to everyone at Barefoot Beach Pad for making our stay sooo enjoyable, we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elle125
Reviewed 22 January 2011

my husband and i just returned from our second visit to the barefoot beach pad. there isn't enough room here to describe how much we enjoyed our stay. the room was perfect....a huge studio with a full kitchen, a new bed, beautiful tilework everywhere and the ocean just steps away. we were forunate enough to meet the owners, who had a vision about creating a home away from home for their guests. in every possible way, they have accomplished the task. the manager, hector, has a great gift of knowing exactly how to welcome and care for everyone. he introduces people (there are only ten rooms) and fosters this wonderful sense of comraderie without pushing people together. andres and andrea are a lovely couple who live on the grounds and take care of everything physical. there is a beach/bar restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks and snacks. the coffee pot is filled all day and andres is a wonderful cook.
you could conceivably never leave the grounds, but cabarete is so much fun to explore.
there is simply nothing negative to write about....if you crave tranquility, beauty, comfort, care and privacy, the barefoot beach pad is exactly what you need.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple