“the PERFECT vacation”
Review of Swell Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
Swell Surf Camp
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Swell is an amazing surf camp!
The owners and employees are super friendly and accommodating and committed to ensuring each of their guests have an enjoyable stay! The grounds are immaculate! The food is delicious! I can't say enough good things about Swell.
The surfing is awesome too! If you are a novice, intermediate or advance the experienced instructors are always game to improve your ride.
Bonus - while taking a break in the line-up or on the beach you can watch the instructors ride a perfect set!
I would recommend Swell to all!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Stephanie G

Reviewed 5 March 2012

On the recommendation of a friend, a group of girls and I descended on Swell for a week. Our goals were to learn how to surf, explore the DR, get some good R&R, but be somewhat active. Surfing: The instructors are phenomenal. Top notch surfers. By the end of the week we were all getting up on our surf boards and catching our own waves. The Food: Amazing! The breakfast is always delicious but especially delicious after surfing for several hours. All the dinners were fantastic and having only 4 gives you a chance to explore other eating options. Martha helped organize several Dominican dinners for anyone who was interested at the camp. The Staff: Nice, friendly, super responsive, and extremely helpful. Clare, Jim, and Martha give you a plethora of options depending on what you are interested in doing and will help you organize it. Our group, along with some other guests, did the 27 waterfalls excursion, thai yoga massages (in our rooms!), a wicked spin class led by Clare, yoga by the pool, and horseback riding. The Lodging: Clean and simple. Sheets and towels are changed everyday in your room. The pool is great to lounge around, enjoy some peaceful reading and napping in the hammocks and EZ lounges, and definitely have some ping pong, fooseball, and pool tournaments. Overall this was definitely a vacation that falls in my top 5 and I have promised my husband I will bring him to Swell!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Truly the best value for your money. Fantastic/unique location... Great staff... Very helpful and the owners are very sweet and gracious. First time surfing and we loved every minute of our trip... Also, we highly recommend the spin class as well.. FUN

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I chose Swell Surf Camp over other places in Cabarete on the recommendation of a friend of a friend, and I couldn't be happier that I did. I knew I was in good hands when I realized that over half of the other guests there with me were return visitors.

From the start, the staff were warm and welcoming, and we were made to feel like one of the family. The family-style meals were delicious, filling, and nutritional. And it's a good thing, because you will work up a huge appetite learning to surf! I went to Swell for my birthday, and everyone went out of their way to make it a special day and trip. One example of going above and beyond - on top of the 4 dinners provided at Swell, the manager Martha set up some amazing group dinners for us at restaurants around the area on the other nights.

In terms of the comfort of camp, I was happy to see that the rooms, and the whole camp, are really well maintained, and are kept extremely clean. There is appropriate and reliable security provided, and I felt completely at home there. Having seen how they operate, I can confidently say that I would recommend this as a great and safe place for a woman travelling alone.

Last but not least - the surfing. I'm definitely hooked after spending a week at Swell. I was a complete beginner who had never surfed before. Luciano was a great instructor, and by following his guidance, I was up and surfing the first day, and I improved a ton over the course of the week.

I highly recommend Swell Surf Camp, and I will definitely be back! I'm also seriously considering taking kitesurfing lessons next time, based on the great experiences my camp mates had with their lessons.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Wandrlust462
Reviewed 1 February 2012

More than just a hotel, hostel, guest room, the SWELL SURF CAMP is a community and after few days or weeks it become your family!

The place is just amazing, all new, well designed, super clean … you will feel at SWELL like home or maybe in heaven! I have been to 4 stars hotel in Puerto Plata, they are not as clean as SWELL is! I stayed at SWELL for 2 weeks and I felt home because you will know the staff really well and more important the staff will know you and call you by your name. The photos you will see on the website are REAL. What you have seen will be where you will live. First time in my life I feel like: « Nice it is exactly like on the picture ». In reality it is even better especially when the sky become orange at night, the place become even more magic for few minutes!!! The location is very good: 5min from the beach if you walk and there is also a lot of restaurant around. Security is also important when traveling to have a wonderful experience, SWELL provide free lockers & safe for your goods in your rooms. You don’t have to care about your keys to enter into the camp cause there is always someone from the staff to open. Honestly, Cabarete is super safe, just act with judgement and don’t show off that you have money and it will be perfect!

Clare & Jim, the owners are 2 very good person and they try to do their best for guests by offering a wonderful environment to them. They know what beginner/inter/advanced surfers want and Swell has been design to respect that. Martha, the manager is just super friendly with the entire guest with a positive strong character, try to catch her into the waves if you are good enough ;) Lourdes and Ana are very good cookers (you will definitely love the breakfast after the 1st surf session in the morning) and they will prepare your room as if you were in a 5 star hotel! Wrani is the guy who can fix everything in the camp, super friendly he has been a wonderful Spanish teacher such as Lourdes and Ana!

Let’s talk about surf! Michel, the Swell driver will drive you to Encuentro beach everyday, the surf spot of Cabarete and he will be waiting for you till the group is done with surfing. Luciano will be your coach for the surf, he is very funny guy. Do not hesitate to ask him for tips while surfing, he knows the spot, the waves and he is a very good surfer so it will help you a lot. Sometimes Martha also joins us to surf. Next time I will try KITE SURFING, Cabarete is one of the best place to kite.

I know it has been a while you are reading my post but SWELL is the PLACE TO BE in Cabarete! I guess I would be able to write a book on this place but the best thing is to go there and enjoy the Good vibe, good people! Everything was perfect and I WILL COME BACK to learn KITE SURFING that time! Tks SWELL! I had very good time with you! Miss you already, The Mayor will be back asap!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Jean-Damien
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This place is amazing. Accomodations and staff were great. Surfing in the morning to get back for a tasty breakfast was the best moment of the day. They are able to advise on what to do during the afternoon or even try out other restaurant at night. Recomendations were always exciding expectations.

Thanks to Luciano, and despite a broken toe, I was able to ride many waves and had a lot of fun.
I was able to relax, surf and meet people from around the world which makes very interesting nights playing poker, ping-pong, pool or even watching movies......Especially with some Brugal not far away!!

Thank you everyone, Looking forward my next trip to Swell !!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Julien L
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We stayed 15 days at Swell with our daughters (16 and 18 years) during Christmas and New Years. We had high expectations because of all the outstanding reviews on Trip Advisor and I can honestly say that Swell lived up to them all. We had one of our best holidays ever. Clare and Jim have managed to create the perfect place with a cool, relaxed and wonderful atmosphere for activity, relaxation and meeting new people. The size and design of the place is perfect, the place is clean and food is great. You feel at home from the first day. Martha the manager, Luciano the golf instructor and the rest of the staff were so nice and helpful. We surfed every morning and it was a perfect beach for beginners. We also did yoga by the pool and Martha helped us to get the dance teacher Alexandra to Swell to teach us some salsa, merengue and bachata. We enjoyed the vibe of Cabarete beach with all bars and restaurants. Clare and Martha recommended places to eat and we had great meals everywhere. We would love to go back!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lena H
GoGapSport, Owner at Swell Surf Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Hi Lena and thanks so much for taking the time to share your great view of Swell. Luciano tells me that although he's played golf once or twice, it would probably be Olivia, your Pro-Golfer daughter who would be giving the lesson to him and not the other way around! He's great in the water, not so much on the greens ;)
Your family were a real pleasure to have with us and we sincerely hope to see you again :) Clare and Jim