“Great place”
Review of Swell Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cabarete
Swell Surf Camp
“Great place”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Swell has a great environment where everyone interacts with each other either by playing pool, ping, pong or sitting at the pool. It has dorm style rooms and also private rooms, offers all types of lessons and excursions. All in all it was a lot of fun and definitely would love to go back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bassersdorf, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My friend and I stayed at Swell in July 2014 for two weeks and had an AWESOME time! People were mostly from the U.S. and Canada, between 20-40 years old and very open-minded and laid-back. If you feel like going on an active holiday with a mix of socializing and meeting new people but also with the possibility to have time for yourself and read a book – Swell is the place to be! It doesn’t matter if you’re travelling by yourself, with your friend/partner or with your family, you can be sure that there are all kinds of travellers and you will soon feel at home.
The camp is beautiful, the rooms are very nice and clean, the staff is super friendly (I’m going to miss Esmeralda’s cooking – dinners are delicious) and we had a blast with our surf instructors Aaron and Jack. Their teaching was great, enthusiastic, competent and they did an excellent job handling 10-15 people with different surf levels at a time and still being able to focus on every single participant and giving them individual advice. Also, after the surf lessons they organized trips and were always making sure we had a great time. I can recommend Swell to everyone and I can’t wait to go back there someday. Thank you guys for this amazing and memorable holiday, we miss you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank swiss_simona
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my second stay at Swell Surf Camp and it was just as great as my first time there. All the practicalities are taken care of in the most professional manner - right from the fast reply when booking, to the airport pickup and everything you may need during your stay. The camp itself is beautiful and clean with a relaxing, friendly atmosphere where you will definitely feel welcomed and as a part of a community also as a solo traveler - no matter your level of surfing experience. The camp is located 5 min walk from the beach and 10 min walk from the town, which means that it is nice and quiet in the evenings, but still with bars, restaurants etc. nearby is you want to go out. Rooms are big and bright and they are cleaned everyday (including the dorms) with fresh towels. The food served is delicious. The surfing instructors Aaron, Jack and Neno are doing a great job of tailoring their instruction to the levels of the individuals in the group. Their patience, encouragement and always positive attitude is what makes you get back up on the board no matter how many times you wipe out. They make you believe you can do it, and I definitely improved my surfing more than I had expected during my one week stay. Overall I can only recommend staying at Swell if you want to learn to surf and have a great time!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank HLL80
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I loved everything about my stay at swell! I was recommended Swell Surf Camp serendipitously by someone I was talking to at a bar in Manhattan. I booked this trip last minute with no idea what to expect. Everything about the trip was fun and easy. The staff were helpful and friendly. Haudy, the manager, is as lovely as previous reviews describe. She's always available to answer questions and make sure everyone is taken care of. Our surf instructors were wonderful. Breakfast and dinner were always delicious.The rooms are cleaned daily and felt cleaner than some of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. I also highly recommend Yoga classes with the fabulous instructor, Molly and the canyonning adventure run by Kayak River Adventures. I went on this trip alone and met the most amazing people. If you are looking for a great surf camp, you should definitely stay at Swell!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank nycKVD
Eagle, Colorado
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I cannot say enough good things about Swell. I loved every second I spent there! I was traveling solo and felt immediately welcomed by everyone there. My room was super cozy and the bed and linens were super comfortable. The camp itself is lovely and peaceful and all of the staff are incredibly gracious and friendly. Haudy, the manager, will make sure you are looked after.

I also totally fell in love with surfing! Jack, Aaron and Nano are great coaches. I worked with Aaron the most and felt he was particularly good. Great instruction and they all keep me laughing the whole time, even when I was kind of struggling.They were even cheerful and friendly first thing in the morning when we are preparing to go the beach...I was not necessarily in the same high spirits until we hit the water.

If you are thinking about going to Swell, do not hesitate! It was the best vacation ever and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Meghan S
New York
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This is third surf camp that I've been to and it was, hands down, the best one yet! The accommodations were fantastic, the instructors were excellent (and a lot of fun), and Haudy and the other staff made me feel like I was home....completely taken care of. Aaron, one of the instructors, was having first week at Swell and he jumped in as if he had been there for years - I learned a lot! I also loved Gigi, the yoga instructor - she was one of the best instructors I've ever had (and I've been to a lot of yoga classes). My friend and I went on a few excursions as well - they were all well-organized, priced appropriately, and very fun.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lau333NewYork
Medicine Hat, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My trip to Swell Surf Camp was one of the most amazing, memorable trips I've been on. There is no way to put into words how great this place is. From the minute I walked through the doors I felt like I had a new Dominican family. Haudy and the staff at Swell were phenomenal! Haudy is the biggest sweetheart ever...always making sure you are enjoying your stay and making arrangements so you make the most of your trip. Sam, Jack, and Neno are awesome surf instructors, always giving precise tips on how to improve and what you're doing right. I was catching waves with my first lesson. The meals at Swell are delicious...I wish I could say the same for the Mama-Juana. Rooms are clean and the air conditioning is worth the $8/night. I stayed in a premium room and my belongings were always treated with respect. There is free wifi in the common areas and sometimes it worked in my room. The pool is great and perfect for a quick dip to cool off a bit. Yoga sessions twice a week were just what I needed after paddling my arms off.

Swell is the perfect place to meet like-minded travellers from all over the world. I was so sad to leave but know I'll be back soon and hopefully for longer than just a week!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo