All reviews surf camp other guests dorm room green waves learn how super chill family style white water reef break rash guard perfect mix active holiday common areas a fantastic vacation traveling alone super fun breakfast and dinner
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I found Swell Surf Camp after looking for an all inclusive place where I could learn to surf. The best thing about Swell is that the accommodation is part of Swell, run by Swell, not a hostel or hotel that they have a pricing deal with. A very short walk in to Cabarete's shops and bars right on the beach and a yummy local chicken BBQ place ($4 for dinner!). Everything is really well organised and everyone there is so friendly. The instructors join in breakfast and dinner with everyone and just make everyone feel part of the group. I am going back for my second trip this November and am waiting for their Costa Rica camp to open in the next year!!

Room tip: The dorm rooms are large with 4 beds, ensuite bathroom a safe and a fan and are on 2 levels (loft style).
Date of stay: November 2013
1  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Swell has a great environment where everyone interacts with each other either by playing pool, ping, pong or sitting at the pool. It has dorm style rooms and also private rooms, offers all types of lessons and excursions. All in all it was a lot of fun and definitely would love to go back.

Date of stay: August 2014
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My friend and I stayed at Swell in July 2014 for two weeks and had an AWESOME time! People were mostly from the U.S. and Canada, between 20-40 years old and very open-minded and laid-back. If you feel like going on an active holiday with a mix of socializing and meeting new people but also with the possibility to have time for yourself and read a book – Swell is the place to be! It doesn’t matter if you’re travelling by yourself, with your friend/partner or with your family, you can be sure that there are all kinds of travellers and you will soon feel at home.
The camp is beautiful, the rooms are very nice and clean, the staff is super friendly (I’m going to miss Esmeralda’s cooking – dinners are delicious) and we had a blast with our surf instructors Aaron and Jack. Their teaching was great, enthusiastic, competent and they did an excellent job handling 10-15 people with different surf levels at a time and still being able to focus on every single participant and giving them individual advice. Also, after the surf lessons they organized trips and were always making sure we had a great time. I can recommend Swell to everyone and I can’t wait to go back there someday. Thank you guys for this amazing and memorable holiday, we miss you!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank swiss_simona
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was my second stay at Swell Surf Camp and it was just as great as my first time there. All the practicalities are taken care of in the most professional manner - right from the fast reply when booking, to the airport pickup and everything you may need during your stay. The camp itself is beautiful and clean with a relaxing, friendly atmosphere where you will definitely feel welcomed and as a part of a community also as a solo traveler - no matter your level of surfing experience. The camp is located 5 min walk from the beach and 10 min walk from the town, which means that it is nice and quiet in the evenings, but still with bars, restaurants etc. nearby is you want to go out. Rooms are big and bright and they are cleaned everyday (including the dorms) with fresh towels. The food served is delicious. The surfing instructors Aaron, Jack and Neno are doing a great job of tailoring their instruction to the levels of the individuals in the group. Their patience, encouragement and always positive attitude is what makes you get back up on the board no matter how many times you wipe out. They make you believe you can do it, and I definitely improved my surfing more than I had expected during my one week stay. Overall I can only recommend staying at Swell if you want to learn to surf and have a great time!

1  Thank HLL80
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I loved everything about my stay at swell! I was recommended Swell Surf Camp serendipitously by someone I was talking to at a bar in Manhattan. I booked this trip last minute with no idea what to expect. Everything about the trip was fun and easy. The staff were helpful and friendly. Haudy, the manager, is as lovely as previous reviews describe. She's always available to answer questions and make sure everyone is taken care of. Our surf instructors were wonderful. Breakfast and dinner were always delicious.The rooms are cleaned daily and felt cleaner than some of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. I also highly recommend Yoga classes with the fabulous instructor, Molly and the canyonning adventure run by Kayak River Adventures. I went on this trip alone and met the most amazing people. If you are looking for a great surf camp, you should definitely stay at Swell!

4  Thank Kate V