“Awesome first-time experience”

Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK)
More attraction details
Owner description: Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK) has been providing high quality kiteboarding lessons in gorgeous Cabarete Bay since 2003. Founded by American professional kiteboarder Laurel Eastman, the LEK flagship school in Cabarete teaches kiteboarding in a safe manner with a big emphasis on fun! A fully accredited IKO (International Kiteboarding Organization) center, all of LEK's qualified and multi-lingual instructors are highly trained experts and ready to share their passion for kiteboarding with the guests visiting Cabarete. Visit LEK inside the gorgeous Millennium Resort and Spa, located on Cabarete Beach, and experience for yourself the LEK style of service.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Baby buggy parking
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Awesome first-time experience”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Not typically one who chases the adrenaline-rush or extreme sports, I was invited to a 4-day long excursion in Cabarete, where most of the attendees of the event I was attending would be kiteboarding. Seeing as I wanted something to do besides lounge on the beach, when a friend signed me up for lessons with LEK I happily obliged. I had never kiteboarded before, and had to google "Rash guard" when reading the recommended packing list email.

My instructors were Miguel and Chelu, who taught me from zero. By the end of 3 lessons I was able to successfully control the kite and body drag in the water. Am hooked now; I can't wait to come back and learn more!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Vicky W

New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Keep walking”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This was my third visit to Cabarete and I've always kited up at Kite Beach. This year I was staying at the Millennium, which is right by Laurel Eastman so I thought I'd give it a shot. If you are learning and need supervision, don't bother - Laurel Eastman charges $45 per HOUR for supervision, which is what you pay per DAY a mile west at Kite Beach. Laurel Eastman had competitive rental prices, but if you're renting gear, don't expect any service - you're totally on your own. If you are a great kiter Laurel Eastman might be a good bet, but if you are average it's well worth the walk to the places at Kite Beach.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kenneth B
LEKCabarete, Owner at Laurel Eastman Kiteboarding (LEK), responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Kenneth B thanks for taking the time to review our little kiteboarding school and give us helpful feedback - it's incredibly useful for us to see the areas we need to improve.

I'll personally review our "Rental with Assistant Instructor Supervision" pricing and procedures and make the necessary changes so we can better serve kiters who have completed kite courses and just need more time on the water to practice with a little help from one of the friendly local Dominican "kids".

Thanks again for sharing this opportunity to improve, we pride ourselves on customer service and consistently strive to do the best.

Wishing you all the best for your kiteboarding and looking forward to seeing you again here in Cabarete.

Kind regards,

Laurel
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best Kite school on the beach!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Best kite school school on the beach hands-down. We've been coming to LEK for four years and this year it was my turn to take lessons. The LEK staff rocks and will welcome you into their kiteboarding family. The LEK staff is amazing, from the knowledgable instructors, the energetic kite supervisors, the fun and friendly front desk staff and not to be out by the kind and helpful gear room staff. Be sure to check out all the great merchandise in the store, they carry anything a kite boarder could need and sell these amazing kite bags for charity ( I have 3 and love them). Only store on the beach to purchase a rash guard shirt. LEK has it all, everything for kite lessons to cold beer. It's the perfect spot on the beach and for those who rather remain spectators enjoy the comfy lounge chairs provided. Can't wait to come back.

new york, ny
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“AMAZING!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

These guys are the best! So welcoming, knowledgeable, and really well set up for kiting. One of the best schools I've ever experienced!

Visited July 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Best kiteboarding school in Cabarete & the Caribbean”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

LEK is the best kiting school in all of Cabarete! I learned to kite here in 2007 and 'caught the bug'! I have been kiting ever since! I recently returned for a vacation in December of 2013. The shop has been renovated and expanded since 2007. It has wonderful facilities, amazing staff and the best location in Cabarete for all levels of kiteboarders. I won't go anywhere else in the Cabarete or the Caribbean to kiteboard.

Visited December 2013