“Great Puerto Plata Tour”

Iguana Mama Adventure Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Waterfall adventure specialists offering canyoning , cascading, hiking, city and ATV tours plus Amber Cove shore excursions and more. Iguana Mama was the first licensed adventure tour operator in the Dominican Republic and now offers a waterfall tour for cruise ship passengers coming into the Carnival terminal at Amber Cove. Small groups with a strong focus on quality and safety and no tourist traps. Don’t just take our word for it - National Geographic Adventure describes us as "Cabarete's most dependable adventure outfitter" and Lonely Planet says "Iguana Mama is the top adventure tour operator in the DR“
Reviewed 13 September 2017

This tour was really fun. It started with a gift of a straw hat for each person. You could drink anything you wanted on the van. The highlight was the statue of Christ on a mountaintop similar to the one in Rio. Included lunch was in an old house and at the cigar factory you could roll your own cigar, dance the merengue, and taste the local liqueur. Great tour guide and just a really fun day.

LidiaSophia, General Manager at Iguana Mama Adventure Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Hola ChristineTheresa111 !

Thanks so much for joining our Eat Drink & Be Merry Puerto Plata City Tour and for this great review! I'm so pleased you enjoyed the entire tour! It really is a fun day and you learn a little bit about our island along the way! We hope you'll join us again on another adventure in the future!

Cheers

"the owner"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

May 2017

I would just like to add to all of the other great reviews that this isn't about lots of great waterfalls, as there really are only a handful, none of which are particularly large, but rather the walk up through the woods and the following down of a lovely bit of river course

That being said we (my wife, 11 & 13 year olds and I) thoroughly enjoyed our half day trip.

The staff were nice and helpful (tips always appreciated :-).

The photo/video thing where a lot of their profit comes from wasn't pushed too hard at all which I was pleasantly surprised with.

Having booked this online through this site managed to save a small fortune over or hotels 'special' rate, lol.

I totally recommend this to or the half waterfalls one. Gets you out of the all inclusive for a bit and you may get to drive through some of the real island life like we did. Interesting

1  Thank Dave H
LidiaSophia, General Manager at Iguana Mama Adventure Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Hola Dave!

Thanks so much for booking with us and... for this great review! After reading it, if you are ever back on the island and like a challenge ... I would love for you to consider one of our more extreme waterfall excursions: Magic Mushroom, Ciguapa Falls or the grand daddy of them all Canyoning Supremacy! From all of us here at Iguana Mama, we hope to see you again.. and give you adrenaline rushes that you will always remember... one of the jumps is 60'!

Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Raul was our tour guide from Mama Iguana and was quite a character. We only had a small group of 4 but he treated us well and did a great job looking after us and making sure we had everything we needed. I'd rate him, our driver and Mama Iguana a 5. The hike at the National Park to the start of the falls is about 4 Km and it's a rugged hike up and down and some serious steps and hills along the way. The jungle canopy is beautiful and our Park guides were knowledgeable about the vegetation and shared, so it was educational too. This time of year the river and falls are running pretty shallow and some of the slides were hip and butt painful as there wasn't a lot of water to push or float you along, I've got some pretty nice road rash anb bruises on both hips and tailbone. In Nov/Dec they say the river runs a couple of feet higher which would be pretty sporty and a lot more fun. I'd have still run thru the whole thing again that day given the time. A couple of the "falls" are really just shallow slides but there are a few that are pretty significant jumps. Between the falls and slides is more hiking so this really isn't for the faint of heart or those not looking for something athletic. This time of year, you need to adjust your expectations to a limited amount of water and less of a thrill for the real adrenaline junky. Only reason this wasn't a 5 was the low water flow.

Hola Mark!

Many thanks for coming to the falls with us and sharing your experience! Mother nature certainly is tricky. In August the water levels were a bit low... a few weeks later Hurricanes Irma and Maria and the water levels were a touch high! It's so difficult to predict but please be assured, if the water is either TOO high or TOO low, we cancel the tour and refund in full. The name 27 Waterfalls was actually a mistranslation of the word Charcos which means "pools". There are in fact only 12 actual waterfalls and the rest are slides and pools. If you are on vacation on the island for longer than a shore excursion.. I heartily suggest you have a look at our more extreme/ adrenaline junky canyoning and cascading tours Magic Mushroom, Ciguapa Falls and Canyoning Supremacy!

Again, many thanks and we hope to take you on a more thrilling adventure in the future!

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

OMG this tour was amazing we had a tour guide named Luis and driver named Alvaro. Very informative, funny, laid back and made our experience enjoyable. very punctual it was comfortable and free WiFi was definitely a plus. The traditional lunch was amazing and drinks all day. Definitely would recommend to all travelers and especially recommend Luis and Alvaro, thank you iguana mama tours!

1  Thank BUDDAH U

Hola BUDDAH!

THANK YOU! For coming on tour with us and thank You, for this great review! I'm thrilled to read you had a great time and I will certainly share your comments with the guide and driver! It's always our very best reward for a job well done! We do hope you'll join us again in the future for another adventure!

Iguana Mama!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

I came to the DR for my 40th Birthday celebration with a group of 12. We took three tours with Iguana Mama and they all exceeded our expectations. First, we did the 27 waterfalls and it was truly awesome. I recommend doing all 27 if you have time because we had the first 15 falls all to ourselves and only ran into other groups at the last 12 falls, which wasn't a problem it just slowed down our progress. The national park is amazing and our guide Raul and driver Fernando were fantastic.

Second, four of us did the city mountain biking tour. We weren't really paying attention to the description and were surprised when we took a beautiful trip down the river to an out of the way bar that we would have never seen otherwise. Our guides, Davis and Britely (sp?), were funny and extremely nice. This was a last minute add on that we really enjoyed.

Lastly, we are currently on the city tour. Imagine my surprise to get on our bus and find it decorated for my birthday. I got a crown and scepter, we all got hats and there are balloons and a sign. I can't tell you how surprised I was. It's so thoughtful and amazing, I have nothing but high hopes for this tour and will update after.

Lidia, one of the owners, is beyond helpful and so easy to deal with. She has made booking the trips and my birthday week very special. I cannot even begin to suggest Iguana Mama enough for your tours here in Cabarete. You won't be disappointed.

2  Thank LeeAnn D
LidiaSophia, General Manager at Iguana Mama Adventure Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2017

Hola LeeAnn!

Wow! I don't think I've ever read a review being written while a tour was going on! Thanks so very much for your generous comments and compliments and the wonderful recommendation! We really appreciate it! You and your group are a fantastic bunch and the guides have really enjoyed touring with you! I'll be sure to let them all know you mentioned them... that's their very best reward! I really look forward to your review of the City Tour and of course all of us at Iguana Mama hope you return to our island for more fun and adventures!