“Ready for more!”

and up
Beginner Kitesurf Lesson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Kite Club Cabarete is the home of kiteboarding in Cabarete. We offer Beginner Lessons, 1 week Intensive Clinics and IKO Instructor Courses at any level. We pride ourselves on our reputation as the most professional Kiteschool in Cabarete while maintaining an open and friendly atmosphere. The Kite Club Team is led by Cabarete veteran and IKO Training Master Jon Dodds, bringing years of experience to the hand picked Instructor team.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We scoped out several places before deciding on Kite Club. Our sway factors in choosing this group - positive atmosphere, personable instructors, great vibe to just hangout and watch other kiteboarders, and they accept credit cards - for 1st timers to DR, this is actually a big deal. They also have a safety boat if necessary (this never launched). We stayed on the other end of Cabarete and asked a few kite boarders that unanimously told us to 'also' check out Kite Club - it wasn't on our initial list.

We did 6 hours of instruction over 2 days each. My wife, who has no wakeboarding or 4-string kite flying experience was not ready to get up on a board in 6 hours. She would have if we returned for a 3rd day. And, they had her very comfortable flying the kite and body dragging through the water (she ended the 6 hours ready for the board). We just decided to try kiteboarding too late in our stay so we ran out of time.

For me... I do have wakeboarding and stunt kite flying experience and I am a sailor (but that doesn't mean the skills transfer). My wife and I spent the first day together before we separated into private instructors to accommodate our different learning curve. By end of day 1, I had the kite down and was body dragging. I started on the board in day 2.

So our experience... they did a great job adjusting to our individual learning styles and backgrounds. That really helped both of us enjoy learning this exciting sport. We are looking forward to a return trip to Cabarete and Kite Club... They have us hooked!

1  Thank knowonder

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

3 single girls on a journey to learn to kite. We had combo packages with the hotel next door..kit club inn.
Our instructors were really awesome, Carlos and Wilson. They were great at the sport and patient teachers. All
3 of us got up on boards. I thought it was going to be impossible. Thanks for a great time!!

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I hadn't ridden a kiteboard in over 5 years, so I took a one-to-one lesson with Wilson at the Kite Club in Cabarete. My last experience kiting all those years ago was a bad one. However Wilson helped me feel at ease every step of the way and I learnt way more than when I was first taught. With great English and a patient attitude, I was able to get to grips with the basics once more and got riding upwind on my first session out. The kit is up to date and there is a wide selection of boards and kites available. Also, the food is amazing - big portions and reasonable price. I didn't stay at the hotel as I was staying with friends, so can't review the accommodation. The atmosphere at the beachfront was great, with people swapping stories and chilling out. I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here, but especially beginners as the level of equipment to use and the instruction available is first class.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I spent 5 hours and $300 and didn't even get to ride a board. Apparently you need 4-5 lessons before they let. That's an insane amount I money!!!

2  Thank Caribena5284
kiteclub, General Manager at Kite Club Cabarete, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Geneva Roman, I apologize that you were not happy with your progress during your 1 day Kiteboarding lessons with us. However it is clearly stated on our website that you need 3 days of lessons to get up on the board. Please understand that the safety of our clients is our top priority, it would be unsafe for you to handle a fully powered kite on your first day. This is the same in all schools across the world. You booked a 3 hour lesson for $210 (not $300), and you even had extra time at no extra charge to try to accommodate you. I admire your confidence but you must have realistic expectations about Kiteboarding, no matter how much you want to ride the board you need to follow your Instructors advice to avoid an accident. I know that you were frustrated but please don't take it out on us. We are just doing our job and keeping you safe. We've been doing this for 14 years without an accident, we don't want you to be the first.
Have a nice day, kind regards, Jonathan Dodds General Manager & IKO Training Master.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Kiteclub set up a downwinder for me from La Boca to Kite Beach. The instructors that came to show me the way were a lot of fun and vet engaging! I had a great time and would definitely recommend Kiteclub for your kiteboarding needs!