“Magical”

Ranked #1 of 29 Cabarete B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Magical”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the bungalows for a few nights in April- it was beautiful and charming. In some ways it is basic but there is everything you need, the bungalow had two floors so lots of space, well taken care of and artistic attention to detail giving it a magical feel. Veronika, the owner, extremely helpful and taking time to explain how things work. We loved staying there!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malacuja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed there for four days in May, and we were absolutely bowled over by how cool and beautiful the lodge was--especially for the price we paid! It was exactly what we were looking for. The host is a very kind lady who showed us how to do a lot of things in the area, as we had never been before... such as: how to take taxis to and from the town, how to get to the different beaches, where to buy great food, etc. The bungalow we stayed in, which was two stories and very comfortable, was among the most attractive bungalows we have ever stayed in over years of traveling and backpacking in tropical areas.

Room Tip: We chose the four-person bungalow, and it was definitely big for the two of us but we loved it.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Beautiful gardens, flowers and a lovely walk to the beach. My family stayed here for three months from January until April with our young children and loved it. The rooms were well cared for with a clear attention to artistic detail. It's a great place for travelers who are interested in meeting other friendly folks from around the world. It's calm and relaxing, a wonderful respite from the craziness of the city of Cabarete. All rooms have access to a kitchen which helped us to save money on our extended trip. Veronika, the owner, is a lovely woman who keeps the place meticulously clean and well manicured. I saw a problem about bed bugs in a previous post, but we certainly had no problem of the sort. I found the place to be clean, well cared for, beautifully decorated and landscaped. The children loved the dogs, chickens, rabbits and especially the baby chicks that were born while we were there. It was a delight for us to see our children enjoying nature in an environment that was safe. The location is perfect for surfers and their wives/families. I will stay here on future trips to the DR.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kari B
cabarete
Reviewed 22 April 2013

The location is fantastic if you're into the surf. It's hard to beat the location not far from the mangrove and almond trees that cover Encuentro and all the surf breaks, or for all the surfing lessons

Cabarete and Sosua are accessible via moto taxis, and it has a cool surf like vibe.

If you're after good value and don't mind if the services are not there, then it's a great place. It's ideal if you're looking for longer term, as then you can get a moto and be independent of others for travel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Plessisville, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I was there for the whole month of february 2013, this was my best vacation ever. Sur Break lodge is located in the country side jsut 7 minutes walk from the beach Encuentro wich is just between Sosua and Cabarete it's easy to go to one of those 2 cities when needed either by guagua,motoconcho or taxi. A lot of peoples staying at surf break are outdoor enthusiast (surfers and kite surfer).This place IS NOT an hotel so do not expect everybody to be at your service..the concept is more like renting an apartment, you are responsible of yourself. Veronika the owner is an artist you can see some of her painting in certain rooms.The place is not a guarded resort with armed security guard so Of course there is a dog on the site this is Dominican Republic if you dont have guns you at least need Dogs. Veronika does an excellent job to keep prostitutes away. I'm returning last year. Jean Côté, Québec city Canada

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Surf break lodge in Encuentro for a week this February. We booked it because it was a good deal, and I had checked the property out and the location was perfect. Upon arrival, Veronika had 'forgotten' that we were coming, even though we had been in email contact, AND I had come the day prior to talk to her and check out the lodge. We were put in a smaller room for the first night (which we didn't mind) then moved to the penthouse the next day. When boyfriend and I were unpacking our bags in the penthouse, she came into our room and chastised us for leaving the room a mess, even though we were in the midst of unpacking. She never bothered to check us in, and we had to try and track her down to get keys, internet password, ask about the protocol with the gate and the 2 killer dogs, and other information about the area. On our 2nd night there, we hosted my parents for dinner, and one of Veronika's dog bit my dad. Luckily, the bite was not too bad, but it was very scary. After we had been there a few nights, my boyfriends starting getting really bad bites on his legs and arms. We found out they were bed bugs, and pulled apart the room and found bed bug eggs, shells and blood from previous guests and bites. When we told Veronika about the bed bugs she did NOTHING to help us other than to offer a cold water washing machine and no soap. Bed bugs are a very serious issue, and require 100+ degree washing and drying, buying a new mattress AND fumigating. We were obviously quite upset, as it was going to take us 3 days out of our holiday to launder all of our belongings (not to mention all of our backpacks, books etc that had to be put in black garbage bags and put out in the sun for 3 days). Not once did she offer to get us a taxi to the laundromat, pay for the laundry, or apologize. She got mad at me and tried to kick us out for having the audacity to ask her to move us to a new room, free of bed bugs, and to buy some laundry soap. During this ordeal, her dog attacked my boyfriend, and again, no apology from Veronika. The day that we left, she had already booked someone into the bedbug infested room the day that we were leaving. While the hotel is lovely, she does not have the sense of mind to run a place like that, and her dogs could seriously harm someone, especially a child. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: check for bed bugs first.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kelsey R
Surfbreakcabarete, Owner at SurfBreak Cabarete, responded to this review, 2 April 2016
It sounds like my mother and you really hated each other! I'm sorry my mother was such a *#*?% to you. One can see from reviews made around the same time that you had a very different experience than anyone else. Well, you can stop hating her now. She died about two years ago.

Surfbreak has been highly upgraded since then. The new Casa Mistica was built with a superbe yoga studio overlooking Encuentro's amazing nature. I also renovated all other buildings. All furniture is new and very comfortable. The whole Surfbreak has totally transformed while keeping the beautiful things (like the magical gardens) my mother seeded not only intact but constantly embellishing them. Please see more recent reviews to get the feel of the new Surfbreak.
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I love this place and if I ever return to the DR I will stay here!!!

It is located less than a 5 minute walk to the surfing beach. The lodge has guard dogs that are love very scary but are the nicest dogs and enjoyed having them around.

The owner is a very nice lady who will help you with any need.

I definitely recommend this hotel! It really does provide great value. Great location. Very Safe.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple