“Beautiful setting; average food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chez Arsenio

Chez Arsenio
Ranked #26 of 127 Restaurants in Cabarete
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sosua, Dominican Republic
“Beautiful setting; average food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I was taken here by a friend recently, because I really needed a break from the same 8 restaurants in Sosua that I eat at on a rotating basis. (I don't have a car here.)

It's a very pretty setting, a circular building with a thatched roof, and a great view of the water. It is very pleasant to take your drinks on a walk on the beach while waiting for food to be prepared.

My friend had the salmon, with which she was very pleased, and I had the pasta puttanesca, and was pleasantly surprised to find it actually had a spicy kick. The portions, in Dominican style, are huge. It certainly wasn't knock-your-socks off food, but it was very good, attractively presented, and very tasty.

And quiet. Very, very quiet, which is a premium in the Sosua/Cabarete area.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mollybloom51

Cabarete, Dominican Republic
“Did I go to the right place?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

After living in the DR for a month, a few of my neighbors had told me that Chez Arsenio is a good place to eat with cheap prices and specials, and the mango cheesecake is God's gift to earth. When I finally found my way out there however, I did not see ANY of the things my neighbors or any of these other reviews said.
First of all, unless there is another Chez Arsenio's somewhere, those pictures are NOT of the same restaurant. Although there is a good view of the ocean and peaceful palm trees, there were peacocks wandering the property and literally CIRCLING my table as we ate. The charm and beauty of the peacock was lost after about 3 minutes as he stalked around our table, clicking, and getting dangerously close to our food.
Secondly, the service was horrible. We were the only ones in the entire place and it took ages for the waiter to do anything. Mostly because he would go back behind the bar to text or talk to his friends that kept materializing out of the woods nearby. We asked about specials and got a bunch of mumbles, we asked about certain menu items, he said they didn't have them or he didn't know what they are. And of course they did not have the famed cheesecake.
The food was mediocre. The hamburger bun was stale and the fries were obviously cooked with some VERY re-used oil. They were greasy and not crunchy. The salad was obviously frozen beforehand. On top of that, the prices were not even that cheap. I could name countless other places I'd rather go with better food, cheaper prices, and just as good of scenery.
I don't know if this was just a fluke incident for me, but I would never give this place a second chance, and I wish someone had warned me so I didn't give it a first chance!

• Visited October 2013
Cornwall, Canada
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013 via mobile

The food is five star ...the service is outstanding..the view is breath taking .company perfect... price reasonable.would select this restaurant to be one of the best in the Dominican..

High Bridge, New Jersey
“Nice Restaurant, Poor Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

We were recommended here by several people: yes, the mango cheesecake is excellent. But the food was not good, in 2 visits.
Three years ago we came for lunch: the tuna was slightly spoiled. Never again, we said!
We came again, based on more recommendations: The tempura was dripping in oil. As I bit into it, the oil squirted out, mixed with raw fish water (or something). The rice tasted like old coffee. The fish kabob tasted faintly of sewers. The mashed potatoes were okay; not good, but average.
As I said: the cheese cake is excellent, but don't eat the food.
(BTW, other reviewers said the prices were good for Cabarete: We can point them to several much cheaper restaurants with much better food.)

• Visited March 2013
Wading River
“the best food and ocean view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

we alway eat at arsenio,s when we stay in the dominican the food and the prices can not be beat
right on the ocean at hideaway beach, food all made to order weather hamburgs or lobster great for lunch or dinner with that special somone make sure u try the mango cheesecake it,s the best
the staff will take care of you i suggest lunch or dinner early and stay for drinks

• Visited February 2013